what do you focus on in SLT

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what you all focus on when you do SLT...I am having trouble deciding what to think about when I do the SLT. Breathing? Posture? Relaxation? Correct movement? Lower Dan Tien? All of the above?

thanks...

:yinyang:

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

SLT is a form that teaches anatomically correct movement if taught right.

That means that it teaches the most structurally sound way to perform a movement to maximize intended results.

So focusing on perfecting your posture and movement is paramount. Breathing should be relaxed. Yet focused on explosive movements.

Advanced practitioners might focus on certain applications of the movements thus the breathing rhythms might change.

This is because the same movements have many applications. Yet the movements maintain their multiple performances with a small change in angles of contact and sequences.

Does that make sense.

In otehr words, on all of the above. Yet work on ingraining one at a time for a week. Then it will become ingrained into your neurology. Then focus on another aspect.

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys...this should help. bcb, thanks for the link. I had read that before but I forgot about it. I cut and pasted it into my "training manual" on my computer. HOpe you dont mind...

thanks again

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys...this should help. bcb, thanks for the link. I had read that before but I forgot about it. I cut and pasted it into my "training manual" on my computer. HOpe you dont mind...

thanks again

If it is of use to you your more than welcome

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you need to forces on is mainly the oneness in the stance, overall entity or ideal, and how every movement in the Sil Lum Tao form should have it’s own play or strong understanding of chum (sinking energy).

Therefore; through good wing chun structure along, your hand movements will become one, or should I say a moving stance, but only dealing with the top triangle. That ideal with relaxation can only bring on true wing chun power and understanding.

Ali

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
What you need to forces on is mainly the oneness in the stance, overall entity or ideal, and how every movement in the Sil Lum Tao form should have it’s own play or strong understanding of chum (sinking energy).

Therefore; through good wing chun structure along, your hand movements will become one, or should I say a moving stance, but only dealing with the top triangle. That ideal with relaxation can only bring on true wing chun power and understanding.

Ali

Thank you for your advice. I am curious what you mean by "moving stance"? In the first SLT we dont move at all.

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I am curious what you mean by "moving stance"? In the first SLT we dont move at all.

This is what I meant by “moving stance”. In the wing chun system, that which I was taught (“Leung Sheung,” Yip Man’s first Hong Kong student), there is no such thing as footwork. In reality when doing footwork it should resemble walking, like heel to toe, as the top of the mother-line or head bobs up and down; with every step the center of gravity is loss.

So, that tells us in order to keep and maintain good balance and control of our limbs, we must stay sunken (chum or sinking energy) with the high triangle (hands or applications), as well as the low triangle (feet, kicks, a.k.a. footwork). Therefore our mother-line or head will not bob up and down, keeping us from maintaining good control our low center of gravity. It is true that we can develop a strong and low center of gravity, by keeping the shoulders rounded, elbows and knees dipped and pelvis pushed forwarded connecting all the proper segments of our body as one entity or ideal.

Therefore when the ideal of chum or sinking energy is applied properly within the top triangle, through relaxation and with the understanding of chi development, natural energy will automatically find the entire set of chum pockets within your top triangle, structures or applications. In your case, the “form”, is only mention here. So therefore each movement that you do in your form, will become connected to the whole body mentally and physically. Hence as one, all connected to the floor. As with footwork or without, it all becomes a moving stance. Take care.

Ali

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is what I meant by “moving stance”. In the wing chun system, that which I was taught (“Leung Sheung,” Yip Man’s first Hong Kong student), there is no such thing as footwork. In reality when doing footwork it should resemble walking, like heel to toe, as the top of the mother-line or head bobs up and down; with every step the center of gravity is loss.

So, that tells us in order to keep and maintain good balance and control of our limbs, we must stay sunken (chum or sinking energy) with the high triangle (hands or applications), as well as the low triangle (feet, kicks, a.k.a. footwork). Therefore our mother-line or head will not bob up and down, keeping us from maintaining good control our low center of gravity. It is true that we can develop a strong and low center of gravity, by keeping the shoulders rounded, elbows and knees dipped and pelvis pushed forwarded connecting all the proper segments of our body as one entity or ideal.

Therefore when the ideal of chum or sinking energy is applied properly within the top triangle, through relaxation and with the understanding of chi development, natural energy will automatically find the entire set of chum pockets within your top triangle, structures or applications. In your case, the “form”, is only mention here. So therefore each movement that you do in your form, will become connected to the whole body mentally and physically. Hence as one, all connected to the floor. As with footwork or without, it all becomes a moving stance. Take care.

Ali

True

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

Ali

Wow thats pretty deep. Im sure its something I will understand more as I do the form over and over. Now I just need more time! Thanks for responding!
:)
God bless

Keith

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The main thing I find myself focusing on in SNT is isolating body parts--learning to move and control pieces separately that you never really do in regular life. Starting with the core (stance, trunk, head) remaining perfectly still while the arms work. Also circling the wrist without moving the elbow. Making the movements smaller. Things like that.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Again Ali and everyone had great posts!

In my method I generally focus on the lau concept within the context of time, space and energy.

These principles are important to understand.

And again with the understanding of the Saam Mo Kiu the picture becomes clearer and clearer as you progress.

Good luck with training.

take care,
Chang

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
with regards to chum and the internal developement...

I am most proud to let everyone here know how much of a blessing it has been to train under Sifu Rahim. I have benifited from the stance training and concepts of chum, structure, top and bottom triangles and the pelvic tilt. Knowlege and experince in his art form shows in every class with Mr Rahim. I was especially impressed when he explained to me what to expect from my body if i dedicated myself to training my stance correctly. He told me in the beginng I would feel it in my unconditioned joints and shoulders but once my chi sank i would feel it in the muscle that supported the proper structure.
After the past 4 months of training I can now feel the muscles of my quadriceps(thighs) getting stronger and supporting my hips and back, i no longer feel it in my knees or ankles at all. I have also noticed how much more 'wedge like' and stable my blocking feels when doing drills like pak-da, single sticky hands and five star. I had trouble with the initial block and connection when someone would punch at me then i realized that keeping the hips tucked and the back lined up properly turns those incomming strikes into caresses instead of punches. Sifu told me then that i no longer had to lean forward and segment myself, that i should hold my structure becase it will all get channeled down to the legs and the floor. I am to the point now where i can feel my thighs flex a little as the incomming strike contacts my woo,bong,or pak. Energy going straight to the floor.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
with regards to chum and the internal developement...

I am most proud to let everyone here know how much of a blessing it has been to train under Sifu Rahim. I have benifited from the stance training and concepts of chum, structure, top and bottom triangles and the pelvic tilt. Knowlege and experince in his art form shows in every class with Mr Rahim. I was especially impressed when he explained to me what to expect from my body if i dedicated myself to training my stance correctly. He told me in the beginng I would feel it in my unconditioned joints and shoulders but once my chi sank i would feel it in the muscle that supported the proper structure.
After the past 4 months of training I can now feel the muscles of my quadriceps(thighs) getting stronger and supporting my hips and back, i no longer feel it in my knees or ankles at all. I have also noticed how much more 'wedge like' and stable my blocking feels when doing drills like pak-da, single sticky hands and five star. I had trouble with the initial block and connection when someone would punch at me then i realized that keeping the hips tucked and the back lined up properly turns those incomming strikes into caresses instead of punches. Sifu told me then that i no longer had to lean forward and segment myself, that i should hold my structure becase it will all get channeled down to the legs and the floor. I am to the point now where i can feel my thighs flex a little as the incomming strike contacts my woo,bong,or pak. Energy going straight to the floor.

Glad you are enjoying your training and are seeing improvement. Keep up the good work. :)