What do you carry?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points guys. I think that for someone to understand me, they have to understand that I don't like hurting people and when training I say I'm sorry quite a bit (don't mis-read this, its about respect to my partners and and the feeling of going to far) and in BJJ, I don't like to hurt my opponents. That has caused me to tap more than I needed to. But thats me.

I'ts a learning experience and no-one needs to get hurt. I learned more than most because they (BJJ classmates) chose to focus on the ground but I have the insight to "learn their ground-game," disect it and apply it to "my way."

So I get what I want without popping elbows and such. (off topic) Actually my ground game has gotten much better since leaving BJJ.

I think the definition of lethal force is "up for grabs." In training I prefer not to hurt someone but in the street, yes I will do what it takes but "stabbing" is not really a part of the picture. Slicing the arms and legs is more humane and will stop someone in their tracks.

Now the life or death situation, know body really knows but I think that the way I train will have an effect on the outcome and that can be good or bad for me. But say soneone was trying to rape or kill my wife or daughter. I think that anything could happen as far as how far soneone goes to ending the confrontation.
:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
akja said:
yes I will do what it takes but "stabbing" is not really a part of the picture. Slicing the arms and legs is more humane and will stop someone in their tracks.
I see what your saying, I just have one thing I'm confused about...

I think you would be suprised at how many people a slice would not stop. Slicing is oftentimes unnoticed by the victim until after an altercation. I also don't see, from a medical standpoint as a former paramedic, how slicing an arm or leg is more humane than a puncture wound. They are both pretty traumatic to the body. Slicing an artery if not lethal, could result in the loss of a limb, how is that humane?

7sm

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I see what your saying, I just have one thing I'm confused about...

I think you would be suprised at how many people a slice would not stop. Slicing is oftentimes unnoticed by the victim until after an altercation. I also don't see, from a medical standpoint as a former paramedic, how slicing an arm or leg is more humane than a puncture wound. They are both pretty traumatic to the body. Slicing an artery if not lethal, could result in the loss of a limb, how is that humane?

7sm

You got me there! I just seem to relate stabbing with death. Maybe I'm wrong. :asian:

Latest Discussions