What do you carry?

B

Black Bear

On your dresser-top, or in a top drawer, you keep a stash of stuff which you load into your pockets every day. What's in it? Why? Chances are since you're self-defense savvy/emergency-preparedness folks, you probably have some stuff that reflects these values.

WALLET: ID and assets for any financial eventuality.

KEYCHAIN: Housekey is a Masterlock which cannot be copied except I suppose through keycasting. Red "photon"-style LED ("red" cones in the eye have the shortest refractory period, so this interferes the least with night vision) and Swisstech Utilikey which I mainly use as a screwdriver or politically-correct sawblade. Here we have a keytag service of the War Amps where you register with them and get a numbered keytag with no identifying information on it. If you lose your keys, people can drop them in any mailbox, it'll go to their office, and they'll deliver it to you free of charge. I don't know if that exists in your area, but it's a great safety item.

KNIFE: either a Cold Steel Voyager if I'm wearing gloves that day, or a Spyderco Delica if I'm not. The Delica hole is not glove-friendly. The knife is legal, light, and flat, and can deploy in about a second even under high stress. They're well constructed. Of course, they're no longer the cutting edge in tactical knives but I don't need more than this. I'm NOT going to assemble an arsenal of thousands of dollars worth of folders.

PELICAN LIGHT: tiny, strong, waterproof, a surprisingly bright LED which is gentle on batteries. Tailcap push switch, clips to clothing. I was putting off buying a new flashlight while everyone was running out buying Surefire Centurions and the like. I won't blind anyone with this, but chances are, you suckers lugging those big things in your pockets won't ever have an opportunity to either. And guess what, I could have bought 12 for what you paid for yours. I spent the savings on a terrific high-loft down duvet. HA.

CELL PHONE: of course.

SUGARLESS GUM: of course.

BURT'S BEES LIP BALM: I live in a very dry area.

Oh, and all my bags (shoulder bags, backpacks) have things like band-aids and pens in them. Now as I reflect on this, I should add a tube of moisturizer.

That's all. What I don't carry: a gun, fixed blade, pocket stick of any kind (kubotan, koppo, etc.), pepper spray. Gimmick weapons, ninja weapons, dye sprays, pointy keychains, knuckles, extendable batons, etc. I would carry OC if I was afraid of crime. But I'm not. My lifestyle is so unbelievably safe. I don't go to clubs or bars, except with a group of friends to celebrate. I can't remember the last time I even walked downtown at night. Only one or two of my friends, family, or colleagues has ever been a victim of a violent crime in the past ten years that I know of, and that was domestic. None has told me of a serious stranger assault in that span of time. The knife is handy for cutting fruit and packages, etc. It will be handy in the event of anything like an aggravated assault or abduction, and it doesn't weigh a thing.

OP
M

markulous

Well in my car I have all of my equipment(except my guns) since it is always accessible(sp?). In my car I have:

2 homemade escrima sticks: if someone had a blade of somesort this is probably what I would grab.

A golf club with the club of it broken off: hollowed out so its very light and fast, yet strong enough to do some damage.

A baseball bat: not the best weapon but doesn't hurt to have.

swiss army knife: for non combat emergencies and minor repairs.

That's pretty much it.

OP
B

Black Bear

Ah, I forgot. I was meaning to post what I keep in my car. Large first aid kit. Roadside emergency kit (flares, hazard sign, alligator clips, etc.). Windshield fluid. Gas-line antifreeze. 3' snow brush, which can be used to clock a guy if I really, really had to. Most likely I'd chamber it "resting" over my shoulder on the strong side, with my weak side hand forward in a placating, calming palm-forward position. First strike is a full-body-torque angle-1 forehand strike to the THIGH, which will forestall any attack, and the brush's cocked for the backhand horizontal strike at any level. Very much like What Kelly McCann teaches.

What is not in my car: A gun. A sword. A big stick. Weapons in general.

OP
I

IMAA

On a daily basis, I normally carry my wallet, ball cap, cqc benchmade tactical folder knife.

In my vehicle is my training bag I always keep it in the vehicle, it has many rattan sticks of different lenghts, 2 or 3 machettes, a couple of pair of nunchaku, training knives of all kinds and sizes, a small wooden baseball bat and one plastic woofle ball bat, as well as an Indonesian Surong. Hard telling what else is in that bag...hahaha

I think my duty belt for my job is in my vehicle right now which has OC gas, ASP baton, handcuffs, a small maglight flashlite, a few maganzine holsters. I take my Gun off regaurdless.

I think thats it.. I do also have a small knife in the visor and a larger mag light in the door console. too many things in my vehicle...lol

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
On my person, typically, my wallet, a small Victornox Swiss army knife, a tube of chapstick or blistex, pocket-size Kleenex packet and my house keys which have a small Maglite on them. Depending where I'm going, I'll add to that my car keys, cell phone (it's rarely turned on anyways), and a small Kershaw folding knife.

I'm a college student who lives close to campus. Since I can go for several days without driving anywhere, I can also go for several days without touching my car keys or cell phone. Since I'm not too worried about being attacked on campus (especially during the day), the folding knife doesn't usually go with me to classes. I keep my Leatherman in my backpack (mostly so I don't lose it) along with small plastic flashlight (it has its uses). Gum and various kinds of candy are included at random.

My car has a first aid kit (reach I really should get around to updating), an ermergency roadside repair kit, and a box of those nifty reflective triangles. At home, there's a pair of rattan escrima sticks under my bed and a medium-size flashlight nearby.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being an ex-paramedic I have a level 3 trauma kit in my car, and my training bag which holds my double daggers, flute (practice flute, which is a foot long dowle with a steel rod drilled down the middle capped at one end, just in case :) ), and just some extra training clothes. I don't carry anything on my person except cell phone and wallett and keys.

7sm

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Cell phone,keys,pair of escrima's,manual tactical folder knife,auto folder knife.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK...I'll play.

Kershaw Ken Onion Chive always.

A Balisong or other folders in addition if I am in a dangerous place.

A cigar tube for my cigar that doubles as a kubaton for social gatherings.

lighter if I plan to smokey smokey. (I'm smokin' a fat cuban right now in my office afterhours! ;) )

Metal Pens if I am at court or an airport.

Wallet/business card holder. (w/ID and bank cards)

Keys

Cellphone/camera

Palm Pilot

Hand granade.

PAUL

btw...o.k....kidding about the hand granade! :ultracool

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sit back this could take a while...j/k.

On my person:
-Camillus C.U.D.A. for opening things (no I'm not talking about people, honest)
-crappy generic knife for those things you're not supposed to use a knife for (i.e. prying, turning screws etc.)
-Wallet
-Cell phone
-lip balm
-nail clippers
-Zippo lighter

In my truck:
-PR-24 baton
-Mag-Light flashlight
-a couple of extra knives
-all the junk in the toolbox (gas can, jumper cables, etc.)

And of course when I'm working I also carry O.C. spray, hand-cuffs, and a .45

OP
S

Shinzu

wallet, keys, cell phone, small change, mace. :jedi1:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On my person (practically always):
wallet (ID, CCs, membership cards, cash), belt, stainless steel or leather bracer style watch (depends on the image I'm looking for today), crucifix (best friend and best asset), chapstick, pen, paper for notes, knife/knives (rotating supply of kershaws, benchmades, spydercos, ect.), keyring (various keys, photon microlight, carbiner, nail clippers, car lock/starter remote). NO CELL PHONE (fight the power). I think I may start carrying a lighter just incase.

In the car:
little league bat, army supplus machete, loose change, shades, CDs, pens, paper, towel, extra jacket, large first aid kit, documentation (registration, resumes, maps), water jug (1gal.), car emergency/maintanance supplies (fix-a-flat, jack, flares, heat candles, lighter, 2 energy bars) snow/ice scraper/brush, a flannel blanket for warmth, a quilt for picnics. I still need to get a good mag-light specifically for the car.

I think that covers it.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On Person:
Watch

Keys

Wallet

Phone

Car:
Escrima Sticks

practice knife: not sharp but the steel blade even though not sharp is still very useful.

One Black Belt used for restraining personnel

Thanks

Rick

OP
T

tkdguy1982

I don't carry anything except my wallet, cell phone, keys & me, myself & i.

OP
R

RHD

As much often as I can I'm accompanied by my German Shepard-Rottweiller mix. We never have many problems...
Mike

OP
B

Black Bear

Big dogs are cool, but I imagine you don't take it to the movies, to work, to night classes... Everyday carry here.

OP

2fisted

Ok I'm not as cool as y'all. :D

Person:

Wallet
Keys

Car:

CDs
Tools
sometimes musical gear

OP
M

mandirigma

Black Bear said:
I would carry OC if I was afraid of crime. But I'm not. My lifestyle is so unbelievably safe...Only one or two of my friends, family, or colleagues has ever been a victim of a violent crime in the past ten years that I know of, and that was domestic. None has told me of a serious stranger assault in that span of time...QUOTE]

Ok, I'll be that guy. That Johnny-nit-picky guy.

Even if % crime is low in your area, it's 100% when it happens to you.

Safety is a myth. There are only degrees of risk. There is no 'safe.'

That's excellent your acquaintances have been victimized only a few times. Let's not, however, dupe ourselves with false hope. It only takes once!

We've talked about "cognitive blind spots."
When it's least expected, you're elected!

My bat-belt includes:
always:
Folder
Surefire (65 lumens- take THAT duvet!)

nearly always:
Pistol and mags
OC
16" of unbridled fury (Monadnock fury, unfortunately)

My 2 cents.

:asian:

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Safety is a myth. There are only degrees of risk. There is no 'safe.'"
THis reminds me of the whole there is no good and evil only shades of grey. I find both of these untrue. I need no knife or gun. I feel safe. maybe I am diluding myself but I have lived about 19 years. I'm still alive. Actually I am pretty much unharmed over all. I never have felt my life was at risk. So do you wish to tell me that even though I have never been muggeed that I was unsafe allways? If I felt I was allways unsafe I would be completely paranoid. Some places may be unsafe but others are. It all depends on how you live and who you are if your safe in a place or not. I can not prove I am wrong but I don't think you can prove you are truely right on that one.
OK now I have typed to much and all so have a good and safe day to all.
:asian:
btw
A wallet keys cell phone and occasionally some other random thnigs

Latest Discussions