What do you carry in your car? for protection?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well maybe the French military requires good fitness so they can run away but I doubt that's the reason for the U.S. military's standards.
That is how my drill sergeant explained in basic training, lo those many years ago...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, kenpotex, the French don't run, that is a dirty lie! They surrender and collaborate... ;)

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually do not have a weapon in my car. If I feel the need for a weapon I will have one that I can carry on my person. If you get seperated from you vehicle then someone else could have the weapon.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I usually do not have a weapon in my car. If I feel the need for a weapon I will have one that I can carry on my person. If you get seperated from you vehicle then someone else could have the weapon.

That is generally the way I feel as well. I only make that adjustment for long trips; and my 2ndary "car gun" generally goes with me when I seperate from my vehicle. Weapons are aquired too often from vehicle break ins..

jamz

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Same here. I hate leaving a gun in the car. I drive through MA a lot as well, and if a gun was stolen out of your car there, you'd lose your carry permit right quick.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have a sharp Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel based on the spetsnez shovel.
good as a basic entrenching tool, but balanced to throw and or use as a close combat battle axe effectivly. and as both a Karateka and a long time SCA member who fights heavy with an axe at times .. well a lot more deadly then any one would think! and besides "but officer its just my shovel for being stuck in snow or mud or what have you!!"

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
remember carrying a gun in you state is good..( unless you are like calif then its by county sheesh..) but if you traval out of state or similar you can have a real nightmare if a loaded pistol or even long arm like a rifle or shot gun is found in your car! in a lot of states even unloaded if its available to the passenger or driver they go nuts!! but my little shovel is legal every where! as to a pistol, great.. been known to have one myself.. but you can not have it even in the car in some places...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Baseball bat, 6 D Brinkman flashlight, seatbelt cutter, cell phone(most effective tool, not weapon), my tactical knife, on occasion(Short barrel shotgun-not sawed off, and/or my handgun). Since it is now legal to carry with a CCH/CCW liscence I will carry a handgun, but not often.

Revision to my previous statement:

I am now a CCH holder and I am now carrying my G17 and my G34 for backup. I still have all of the above items in my car except the baseball bat. And my last portion of this statement has also changed. I carry all of the time, instead of not very often. I try not to go any place I cannot carry. Some say we are paranoid, until we save them from death. I have a great level of confidence in my empty hand skills with situations, but I have still not figured out how to stop bullets empty handed.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always have a kubotan on my person...There is usually a PR-24 in easy reach as well as a Combat Cane...

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Revision to my previous statement:

I am now a CCH holder and I am now carrying my G17 and my G34 for backup. I still have all of the above items in my car except the baseball bat. And my last portion of this statement has also changed. I carry all of the time, instead of not very often. I try not to go any place I cannot carry. Some say we are paranoid, until we save them from death. I have a great level of confidence in my empty hand skills with situations, but I have still not figured out how to stop bullets empty handed.
you carry a 34 to back up your 17? that's kinda backwards isn't it :D

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Something that may seem odd to add to this list, but I always have a pair of sneakers in my trunk. This is mainly for a last minute/unexpected opportunity to stop at the gym, but it's also helpful if I ever have car troubles or need shoes I can run in.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
you carry a 34 to back up your 17? that's kinda backwards isn't it :D

No way. The 34 is to uncomfortable to wear all of the time and it works well with a small of the back rig when I have to carry it. With ti beign the size of a 1911 it rides to close to Mr. Wally if I carry it in the 13:30 position.

On a new note, I made the decision today to sell my Taurus and get a G19. This will allow me to keep my 34 for the times when I am feeling like Dirty Harry.

buddah_belly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...and we don't keep pigs...

"We don't rent pigs"---Lonesome Dove

Sorry couldn't resist.

I've thought on occasion about getting a concealed handgun permit, but I'm not very gun savy and wouldn't know where to begin. I guess it's just not that big a deal for me. I just carry me and my cell when I go outta town. Around town, sometimes I don't remember to carry my phone. It's a small town and not much crime much less violent crime.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to always have a couple of knives in the front, medium hunting blade in driver's door and small blade, like a Gator knife, in the middle compartment. Often still have one but now mainly view it as emergency/handy tool such as for jammed seatbelts or whatever. Torch in the glove box.

Used to have a beautiful Merc E190 that came with a kickass firstaid/safety box built in and removable from top of the rest behind the backseats - had surgery scissors and scalpels and every kind of bandage and flares in there. Had a mini fire extinguisher in the boot and a foldable reflective accident triangle (those Germans make some bloody good cars) - had to sell that car when moved, a damn shame...

Also often have a spare training bo or wooden katana and sometimes nunchuku in the boot for the club - but again is in the boot as is the tyre wrench and tools etc; not exactly readily accessible if guy in your face at the window.

And then of course there is the car (a nice sizeable piece of steel itself), never run anyone over (deliberately) but always willing to give it a go if the opportunity presents.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry a pistol in my glove box. Here is a copy of Kentucky law regarding carring a weapon in your glove box. This is Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 527.020 section 8. KRS is Kentucky's laws.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/CHAPTER.HTM

(8) A firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a glove compartment of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action
for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of​
competent jurisdiction.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Torch in the glove box.

Had a mini fire extinguisher in the boot and a foldable reflective accident triangle (those Germans make some bloody good cars) - had to sell that car when moved, a damn shame...

Also often have a spare training bo or wooden katana and sometimes nunchuku in the boot for the club - but again is in the boot as is the tyre wrench and tools etc; not exactly readily accessible

"Torch"?... "boot"?... "bloody good"?... "tyre"!? --With vocabulary like that, you better be bloody careful what you choose to stowe in the boot, mate! 'Cause you just might be living in the UK, and from what I've heard, your police don't take lightly such identifiable weapons as a katana--especially should you have to use it. For Daniel -Jade- Boone out in Kentucky, things might be a bit different, like a 12 guage with buckshot and a deer rifle being perfectly ordinary and acceptable. Still, the best things to defend yourself with, as so many others have already said, are non-weapons that you can innocently keep right at hand. I just put away my eskrima sticks and started keepning my "Club" brand steering wheel lock next to me on the passenger's seat. It's hard, heavy, and after a bit of practice , pretty handy. I can even flip it and send one end shooting out at a would-be attacker, or just separate the two sections and use it "espada y daga" style. And, who can question why it's in the front of my car? That's where it belongs!