What do you call an art that integrates striking and grappling?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think he's just reaching for a non-style-specific term, like we have with "grappling" and "striking". A way to refer in one word to arts and systems that do both.
He alludes to something more in the op. I'm suggesting maybe it's time to get there.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Like, some sort of..hybrid..like..a mix of striking and grappling. A mix of martial arts that incorporates both...

What could we call it. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

NO IDEA! ;)
I used to call them mixed martial arts, then some bozos stole that name. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of strappling. Petition to make that the MartialTalk Approved (TM) word for any art sort of hybrid or mixed martial art/competition? I would just love to hear people talk about the importance of strappling in competition.
I'm imagining Joe Rogan discussing the finer points of strappling.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what the OP is referring to is Chin-na. Which is catch and seize. It's an aspect of the striking art but it doesn't contain "felling" or throwing like judo. I don't know of any other art other than kung fu that has a word for it. Most arts don't separate things in that way. Kung fu does tend to be catagorical. MMA is more about mixing more than one art, which is different than aspects of fighting. There is overlap but an art is not the same as a catagorical aspect of fighting. Karate has strikes, throws and grabs. That's three aspects in one art. But due to the current nomenclature we have generalized arts by there predominant aspect.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is another discussion I want to have, but before I get to that discussion, I need some help with terminology. Or maybe opinions if there isn't an agreed-upon fact.

What do you call it when an art mixes striking and grappling techniques? Not like MMA, which typically will either strike in order to set up a take-down, or when stalemated in the grapple will throw some punches for points. But arts which use grappling to isolate your opponent's limbs and then attack from an advantaged position?

For example, using an arm lock to tie up one of your opponent's arms and keep the other arm pointed away from you, so that you can strike with your free arm unimpeded.

I've seen this kind of thing in the self defense portion of a more traditional Taekwondo class, and I've seen it in Kung Fu, Wing Chun and various Karate tutorials. I've seen the concept in Hapkido and Aikido (although usually a strike isn't thrown from there).

It kind of also applies to the Muay-Thai clinch, although that is a slightly different application than the others on my mind.

But back to my question - is there a name for this concept? We have "striking" and "grappling", but what about the concept of using one to break your opponent's structure, with which to allow you to use the other?

A striking art.

The only "arts" that don't try to immobilize an opponent are sports like boxing and Taekwondo where the game is to punch or kick. Pre mma striking arts included control methods.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see that working.

But traps I think of as reactive (i.e. you think of a trap as having a trigger), and this could be proactive as well.

Trapping is both reactive and proactive.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think any art with striking and grappling, including MMA, uses one to set up the other and vice versa. So, call it whatever you want, really. Call it "Frank." .

Well now, I'm blushing. In my neck of the woods, we have always called it jiu jitsu.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ameridote

The sad thing is...a lot of what he does is accurate.

Take for example the Thrust of Freedom. It's a joke. Until you watch him teach a seminar and show some ways of using it: Thrust Right (or Thrust Left) combined with an arm grab is a great hip throw. He has a combination that starts with Thrust Back which is a body grab defense...and the entire combination looks eerily similar to something we do in my Taekwondo class.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The sad thing is...a lot of what he does is accurate.

Take for example the Thrust of Freedom. It's a joke. Until you watch him teach a seminar and show some ways of using it: Thrust Right (or Thrust Left) combined with an arm grab is a great hip throw. He has a combination that starts with Thrust Back which is a body grab defense...and the entire combination looks eerily similar to something we do in my Taekwondo class.
When something you train earnestly bears an eerie resemblance to an extreme parody... Red flag...

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When something you train earnestly bears an eerie resemblance to an extreme parody... Red flag...

There's always some truth to comedy.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
How effective is chin na?

Otherwise I don’t know of any art that relates to the OP question. You have striking arts, and grappling arts.

Muay Thai offers some standing grappling and Judo offers mostly standing grappling with high emphasis on takedowns. BJJ mostly ground although some can be used standing. Wrestling is both standing and ground.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I suppose that's true sometimes. But other times it's just Martial Arts. I find more humor in Martial Training than almost anything else in life.

BjjHumor.jpg

Tell me you've EVER known an instructor who wasn't just like this.

BJJHumor2.jpg

Or a BB that didn't...

BjjHumor.jpeg

All parody. All so true.

Latest Discussions