What do like more forms or fighting?

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, considering I haven't gotten far enough along to do any sort of sparring or combat training, I guess I can't really make a choice. I think others have brought up some good points though. Namely that both have their place. The forms help you practice your skills and you can look into them to find different ways to use each technique. You can practice them as if you had imaginary opponents around you attacking you and you were fighting them. Forms were designed with that intention anyway, right? The sparring and combat training helps prepare you for real fighting. That's where you learn things like distance and timing skills which our teacher recently pointed out are very important. He said that if you train only for tournaments (sport) and constantly pull your punches, when it comes to real fighting, you'll end up doing the same thing and always missing the target. This sort of stuff also gets you used to the actual contact you have in fighting, hitting another person. And of course, certain things can only really be done with another person. So I'd say both are important and each has its place in training.

OP
S

SolidTiger

Yes I agree totalilywith you Dronak...

The two support each other, one can not be without the other.

Thank You

SolidTiger

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your thinking this person is over
here, this person is attacking like this so I need to use this block
right here. You know things like that could help you decide your
next attack when fighting

This statement above is quoted frpm a few posts befor. I think this is both true and false.
Yes you can think about the attacks and see them when doing forms, however if you have to think about what to do when fighting your going to get FUBAR.
Sorry but you dont have time to plan ahead in a fight it must be instinctive or you dont survive.

Shadow:asian:

OP
S

SolidTiger

Yes when fighting their is a natural instinct that comes alone
with working hard always giving it a 100%, but you can't just
fight on instinct. You have to think fast and act, and also would
you attack with your instincts? I don't know, in order to use your
instinct you must predict what your opponent is going to do. "Is
he going to move up down to the left to the right". How esle do
you use your instinct it you don't know what's going to happen?
You might be right, but most of the time you will be wrong.

Thank you

SolidTiger

" It's not hard to walk and chew gum".

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Full out fighting is done without a lot of thought. there just is not time to think what to do next. Your reactions must happen without takeing time to consider what to do. You must react sometimes befor you even realise that you have. The body must move befor the mind says "Lets fake left shoot low left thow stright punch."
instead you must react than look back late and say dar I just did " such and such" IMHO

OP
R

RyuShiKan

There was a famous fighter (can't remember his name) when he knocked out his opponent that said it was the 1,000's and 1,000's of hours of training before hand that made that one punch possible.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well said. I've heard that somewhere too, but have no idea on the name either.

:asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That reminds me of some saying I heard somewhere that goes something like, "I'm not afraid of the 1000 kicks you practiced once, I'm afraid of the one kick you practiced 1000 times." And yes, I've heard and suspect it to be true that in a real combat situation you're going to be doing more reacting and fighting on instinct than conciously thinking about moves. However, how do you train those movements to become unconcious? I believe that's where the forms help. If you train a form thinking, "this blocks an attack, then I strike like this" you're training not only the movements, but the application of the movements as well. That way when it comes to a combat situation and you get attacked, you can do that block/strike combination at an appropriate time without thinking about it. If you don't think about the applications of the moves at some point though, how are you ever going to know how you're supposed to use them? Real fighting might be mostly instinctual, but you've got to train those instincts somehow if you want them to be really effective. Just my thoughts.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People aren't going to like my opinion much and thats ok, I fully understand were you are coming from. I firmly believe the time you spend training your patterns is wasted time, that time would be better spent working on your reactions/reflexes and timing skills as well as fighting and learning proper techniques at full contact on a target. Yes I do patterns in my art but only because I have too. And every time I'm practicing them I'm thinking "god I could be fighting right now or working on the heavy bag".

Arts like Muay Thai have no patterns and yet are still steeped in tradition. I believe in traditional martial arts, I just don't think patterns are good training.

I run a traditional martial art school and I teach the patterns, I just don't enjoy it.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
E

ECYili

While I don't totaly agree with your ideas Damian. Again some of it I do. But the most important thing is if you can make what you do work, that's all that matters. All roads lead to the same place. Just train hard.

As far as training your forms/kata for fighting. Theres a few ways I go about doing. 1 is I do it the way it looks. I imagine what the attacks are coming from the way they were designed in the form. 2. I imagine that attacks are coming from different angle and sides, adds a different perspective to the techniqeus. 3. I don't think of anything, I put my attention on every movement and putting as much focus into them as possible.

So in a fight I'm not thinking, I connect with the attacker and he dictates what I do. What ever movement happens, happens. And what technique or break down happens, happens. I'm not concerned with that.

In a fight if your thinking about winning or loosing your treating it as a game and in a game someone has got to win and someone has got to loose. But if I just do my technique and movements the same way I do them in my forms and practice then it's not a game anymore. I don't care if someone is infront of me or not I do my techniques the same way.

Dan

OP
S

SolidTiger

I think that in a fight you can not predict the moves of your opponent. You must react but if you react to fast or the technique
you use is not the right technique your in trouble. If your being
attacked, countering is a instinct I can use because I know the
targets is their for sure. I wouldn't attack on instinct unless I was
feeling desperate, and I needed to win. I think that you have a
certain amont of time to react, I mean if you didn't it will just be
one attack after another in a fight, and I never seen a fight so
entertaining.

Thank you

SolidTiger

OP
B

Bushido

I do no form. I do alot of sparring and grappling. In order to improve your swimming ability, you must get into the water, in order to improve your fighting ability, you must fight.

Peacefully,

-Bushido

OP
S

SolidTiger

Originally posted by Bushido

I do no form. I do alot of sparring and grappling. In order to improve your swimming ability, you must get into the water, in order to improve your fighting ability, you must fight.

Peacefully,

-Bushido

So how do you practice when you are alone?

"How can you swim when you can't even get in the water".

Thank You

SolidTiger

Latest Discussions