What Did this Boxer do Right or Wrong? Thoughts?

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no way that hit was accidental, the guy looked over his left shoulder as they passed and then looked over his right shoulder and let fly, that isn't an accident, that's a setup. The 2 guys were hoping for a confrontation that they could take advantage of, what they got was somebody who decided to pre-empt them.

That's my take as well - loser thug takes what he thinks will be an easy cheap shot and gets his clock cleaned instead.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Agreed! They looked at the couple coming, and he adjusted his stance to take that swing. (He did look before swinging). The Boxer DID the right thing. If he stopped to argue instead, both would've got the jump on him and his girl. Considering the situation, an attack, a loved one in possible danger, odds against him, he had to do what he did initially. No time to wait for something small to get worse.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Even* if it was intentional he had no legal right after *at most* the first punch. There was no continued threat of force.
You think if he threw one punch that would have ended the confrontation? I think after getting hit, he would want to hit back, just as they did, going after the couple. By then, the two would've jumped on the boyfriend. Sorry, from a real world self defense theory, His quick action was the best decision. You can't expect that the second guy would do nothing if you concentrated on his friend.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You think if he threw one punch that would have ended the confrontation? I think after getting hit, he would want to hit back, just as they did, going after the couple. Bythen, the two would've jumped on the boyfriend. Sorry, from a real world self defense theory, His quick action was the best decision. You can't expect that the second guy would do nothing if you concentrated on his friend.

Agreed - but once the two were on the ground it was time for the boxer to grab his girlfriend's hand and start running away as fast as they could and not reengage them at the trees. Hindsight is always 20/20, though, isn't it?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're right, that's why I said initially. He absolutely should have took off with her. Waiting for the second attack, could have been fatal, if one of the attackers was armed. he would have had plenty of time to pull and use.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
These points have already been made, but:

a) He chose a route along the path that not only put himself within range of a cheap shot, he had HER walking CLOSER to them.

Upon spotting the thugs loitering on the path, he should have first changed places with his girlfriend so he would have passed the pair with HIM being closer.

If room, he should have walked around the pair so there was no overlap of personal space (i.e., passed them with at LEAST an arms reach separation).

b) He wasn't hitting them with enough penetration. Two or three shots to each of the thugs should have had them seeking medical attention, not chasing down the boxer for more.

c) He should have kept an eye on his girlfriend, kept himself between the thugs and her.

d) He turned his back on attackers way too often, giving them opportunities he is lucky they did not capitalize on.

e) He should have hurt them bad enough that there was NO chance of them preventing the escape of him and his girlfriend. Putting someone down for a 10-count doesn't mean they won't get up and try for more -- which is exactly what they did.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep!

icon14.gif

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was really hoping the first time I watched it that after he dropped the first guy and punched the other a couple of times and starts walking back to the path he was going to throw his knee in the downed guys face. To me it looks like the guy in black probably would have left him to it if that had happened and it would've been over. I really hope for his sake that he ended up downing both of them, unfortunately with the girls' screaming after, it sounds like maybe he didn't.

To me the hit on the girl looks 100% deliberate, they were obviously wanting a fight but not expecting the guy to be as tough as he was and immediately punch them.

Latest Discussions