What Did The UFC Really Prove?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
judokapont said:
The UFC to me personally proved a great deal about real fighting, firstly i have full respect for masters of all styles i admire their dedication and skill but what people have to accept is that alot of these styles have no direct coralation to real fighting, i know its a well worn argument which will never cease but many martial arts do not work TKD included my friend. I have worked as a doorman for 13 years and have been involved in to many REAL fights to remember and i dont think training in TKD would of helped me in many of them, i have worked with guys with black belts in TKD and wing chung etc.. and ive seen them be beaten to the floor at close range and gouged bitten and firmly spanked by thugs with no formal traing apart from football violence. Being able to fight once you are being hit,controlling your fear and naked brutal aggresion is what in my experiance wins fights. If you combine these factors with a solid skill base in dirty boxing chuck in some ground skills then your getting somewhere. This is what you see in the UFC, almost real fighting, kung Fu TKD etc great for the movies dont bring it on the street or the octagon for that matter!
I'll have to agree with you there. Boxers and wrestlers have always been good fighters in the street, before the UFC and after. You make a point, however, that bears repeating. Football (American) and Rugby gives you more real world fighting expertise than some "martial arts". Football players have the skills to simply tackle an opponent to the ground and pound them, and many times getting tackled into the side of a bar or building is a fight ending experience, even if they don't know what to do when they get you on the ground.

OP
T

The Prof

You are 110% correct.

Tulisan said:
UFC proved a few things:

#1. Groundfighting is hell-ov-important, and shouldn't be taken for granted like it was prior to UFC.

#2. "Live" training against resisting, unpredictable opponents is vital to all training.

#3. NHB fighting is not combat or street defense, but it is a very tough sport.

Yours,

Kimo

OP
S

samuelpont

[If you were to see a korean tae kwon do master fight a grappler opinions would change. Tarek Hussein (16)[/QUOTE]
mmm, why is it we never see these masters ever test their skills in the public arena, the contest is open, they haven`t been excluded.
I have ulitimate respect for any one who achieves this status but unless you art is full contact and pressure tested including grappling, striking and submission you leave huge holes in your arsenal.

OP
S

samuelpont

one point also,shouldn`t we be concentrating on the best fighters mma has to offer, rather than one sad out of condition man who they wheel out to be repeatedly beaten again and again?

OP
A

Autocrat

Hmmm.... I've read through all the posts, and noticed alot of repetition and goin to and throw about personal opinions.
Please don't mistake what people believe or say as fact... no one id wrong or right on this.....
:p(apart from me and what I am about to say... of course... this is fact! LOL)
:p

The UFC proved several things....
* The Gracies have Jiu Jitsu system that works very well.
* The rules for UFC fitted those rules nicely.
* The Gracies made full advantage of their style, and the lack of such in others.
* Having a Black belt doesn't mean you can fight
* Being a Master/proffessor etc. doesn't mean you can fight!
* You do need techniques, skill and training to fight, WELL!
* Having strength and stamina is an advantage, possibly a requisite for this sort of thing.
* Being bigger, stronger, faster, heavier, fitter, better trained, more experienced and willing to be hurt makes all the difference.... the mosre of those you lack, the more likely you are to get your head pounded.

If you have not trained for contact.... you are likely to be beaten. If you are not used to grappling, and face a grappler, you may get screwed! If you are not trained to kick/punch, then facing a martial artist is likely to hurt!

Please, for the love of what ever.... think before engaging hormones and hurt feelings!

I have done MA your just over 20 years... I started as a young child taught by my father... I was taught both shotokan and goju Karate with some White Crane and my mother taught me some Combat Judo (NOT sport Judo!). Since then, I have studied Kickboxing, Boxing and Judo, all till about mid-level experience.. no more than a year or twos worth, going twice a week every week, and practicing at home and with friends. I know study GoJu with te, Seido and tai sabaki... and now Jiu Jitsu as well! Over the years I have faced off in many fights... and I've lost 2 !!!!! Thats it... TWO!
The reason why?
I'm violent... and I'm willing to start the fight with a side kick to your knee.... a snap kick to your shin and an elbow to your head!

NONE Of THat SEEMed TO APPEAR in THE UFC!

sod gouging, biting, groining etc!
There were few full power moves from the style that could employ them..... it was a beefed up show.... and slightly more realistic version of the old wrestling... (NOT the silly leotard fairies on TV now... not that I'd mess with them... bigger, stronger and fitter! They could hurt me... lots LOL).... but the old wrestling were people did get injured!
Not really kill or be killed... just men bashing each other... a MA version of heavyweight boxing or Thai Boxing competitions in the East!

Don't get upset over this... but it is TV.... made for TV and people like you! It is not real per se, it's realistic it to a fair degree, but not completely real! Do you really think anyone high up in the grades of TKD, JKD, Karate, Kung Fu or what ever other styles that employ kicks and punches would hold back from them? The reasons the Gracie's and other Grapplers did well is because you are not likely to cripple or kill when performing standard throws, takedowns, locks or holds! No REAL low round houses to the knees... no REAL thrust kicks to the knees or hips.... no REAL heavy hooks to the back of the head or the lower ribs!

I don't care how hard you think you are... you will not get up from a side thrust kick to the knee! Simple.

So.... it was staged some what!

As for seeing REAL MASTERS get involved... don't make me laugh!
Hardly a legitimate reason to enact combat or risk being hurt!
Further more... you figure the possible results.... someone in the 30-40's, who does weights, runs, and wrestles and practices MA's to a high degree... or some one about the same age who does one or two styles and has mastered them, doesn't have time to benchpress twice their weight etc..... I'ts a case of who hits firsts is likely to win! NO OnE wants that sort of gamble! You might be the one who hits second!

So, did all that make sense?
Hope it didn't offend anyone... (if it did, read it again!)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Autocrat said:
I'm violent... and I'm willing to start the fight with a side kick to your knee.... a snap kick to your shin and an elbow to your head!

<snip>

No REAL low round houses to the knees... no REAL thrust kicks to the knees or hips.... no REAL heavy hooks to the back of the head or the lower ribs!

<snip>

I don't care how hard you think you are... you will not get up from a side thrust kick to the knee! Simple.

You have to hit with that side thrust kick, bucko. That is quite possibly the most touted--and least successful--martial arts technique out there. Keith Hackney tried a knee kick in his first UFC. It bounced off the Emmanual Yarborough's knee and did little damage. Hackney finished it with punches, and broke his hand in the process.

If you've got a gift for this amazing low line attack, enter a local cage match and go for it. Shots to the knee are allowed in many of them, if I'm not mistaken. Or, if you like, go visit the Gracies and see if they still have that $10,000 challenge going. Beat them with your REAL side kick to the knee, and you might have a nice chunk of change to go towards your mortgage.

If they're not offering that cash advantage, walk into a school that teaches MMA and posit your hypothesis as to the efficacy of a REAL side kick to the hips, knee, whatever...and see if they'll agree to a test. Video it and let us all know how it goes. You'll do a great service to the martial arts community by providing some evidence to support your claim. Take out one of the Gracies, Machados, Erik Paulson...you'll make a name for yourself and earn respect for yourself and your claims.

This all reminds me of the posts of a young man about a year ago who was absolutely convinced that a good kick to the head or ribs would drop anybody. If you think one technique, or a set of techniqes, is a panacea for fighting, you're bound to be sorely disappointed...and I do mean sorely.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions