What defines a sport? Is fishing a sport? How about video game tournaments?

Discussion in 'The Rec Room (Sports and Entertainment)' started by Chrisinmd, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    A Top Fuel driver can hit 8G acceleration off the line. I think that counts as physically demanding....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. stanly stud

stanly stud Blue Belt

I remember as a kid i went caddying to make money at GlenEagles in scotland. I Actually met Sir sean connery there he was playing in a Pro celebrity golf match. Yeah walking around an 18 hole golf course with a bag for 3 or 4 hours was good exercise. The Americans & japanese gave good tips. One american group were giving me beer & cigerettes on the way round & paid well. was funny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

Interesting. I do not golf very often so I am not aware of a course that does not allow you to walk. I suppose this is an effective method of getting more people on/off that course each day.

4. Chrisinmd

Chrisinmd Blue Belt

Yea i am sure that auto racing requires stamina and quick reactions. But walking or hiking requires stamina and I dont think they are a sport in most circumstances.

One other example that came to mind is weight lifting a sport? I would say yes if your in a competition but just lifting weights in my basement no

• Like Like x 1
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    There's an impression that folks play faster when they travel faster to the ball. A couple of studies found that not to be true, with a couple of factors likely being responsible (both partners wait at each person's ball when in a cart, and you get a better look at the course when walking so you make decisions on the way there).

6. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Or yomping as the Bootnecks call it being RAF I just used the transport provided

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. stanly stud

stanly stud Blue Belt

yeah but the Rock apes or RAF Regiment have the 5 miler of Death ...;)

But seriously i met a few RAF Regiment guys in Germany. they were OK Guys.
    I met some to at this place below where we were training there. A lot of small arms ranges. I went into their bar with a mate. had a good drink with a Sgt i think he was. This place was actually an old German SS training area. still old SS stuff there. statues..etc.

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    My other half was a Rock. We were at Laarbruch, he'd go on exercise in Sennelager of course as well as winter training in Baveria. Before posting to Germany he was on QCS and did the Berlin Tattoo, the squadron stayed in an old wartime block, the story was that the German troops had been driven into the cellars by the Russians and walled in. It was supposed to be haunted, my OH said it was certainly very creepy and he'd done public duties at the Tower of London which is reputedly haunted.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stanly stud

stanly stud Blue Belt

Sennelager i know very well a big training area. was a few times there. I was in Bergen Hohne 4 years we had Belsen concentration camp right next to us was creepy. The Rail sidings were still there where they brought the jews in. We used them too for our tracked vehicles when going too far away to drive.
    I was also 5 years in Herford.
    public duties i did at Edinburgh castle in 1988. then we recruited (a cape tour) around Edinburgh area. was good, Hot doing drill in mid summer in No 1 dress.123

• Like Like x 1