What condition do you carry your weapon?

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
But if you read the works of Jeff Cooper (founder of Gunsite), he claims the only way to carry a 1911 is in condition 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good video, I don't agree with him on condition 3 and the miltaries of the world don't ether.
Todays US mitary uses condition 2 because of SA/DA weapons.
Present day Israeli miltary regardless of auto pistol uses condition 3.
You will never shoot yourself pulling from a holster in condition 3 or condition 2 (only taking the safety off when pointing at target).
If you train carry condition 3, from day one you are ready with any new auto pistol. You don't have to train for a specfic pistol and holster for hours and hours to become proficient with that setup.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes when you draw your weapon you do'nt get the grip you want, so if you grab the slide every time you pull your weapon you can easily get the grip you want without losing time because you do the same thing every time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I carry in condition 3 because that is how I was taught and I feel it is the safest.

condition 0 bullet in chamber, no safety or safety off example: glock

condition 1 bullet in chamber, safety on example: 1991

condition 2 bullet in chamber, safety on, decocked example: miltary started with beretta 92

condition 3 no bullet in chamber, no safety or safety off example: miltary 1911 before beretta 92

condition 4 magazine out of firearm example: any auto pistol

I am not terminology savvy but will give it a go.

I have glock for open carry in a G19 holster = condition 0

If I feel the need I have a strap on the ankle holster with a .38 special = condition 2?

Long rifle I always have in my truck = condition 3 w/safety on

Shotgun I always hove on my side by sides = condition 1

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Normal EDC Glock 19 condition 0
Situation where I know conditions could be dangerous and I can't change that. condition 1

Normal EDC 1911 condition 2 (this is how I was taught to carry when in the military when knowing the situation was hostile otherwise it was condition 3)

I used to, from time to time, carry a Ruger P90 that was in condition 2.

Over the years I've gotten to the point I almost always carry the glock because my wife also carries a glock 19. So we have redundancy in mags and ammo as well as if she were to have to pick up my firearm there is no change as to operational procedure. Which can be very important in a high stress situation.
Carry with what you feel and carry in the condition you feel you must. But practice, practice, practice. It needs to be automatic otherwise you will be fumbling to do fine motor skills actions with the adrenaline dump.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Situation where I know conditions could be dangerous and I can't change that. condition 1

Normal EDC 1911 condition 2 (this is how I was taught to carry when in the military when knowing the situation was hostile otherwise it was condition 3)

Over the years I've gotten to the point I almost always carry the glock because my wife also carries a glock 19. So we have redundancy in mags and ammo as well as if she were to have to pick up my firearm there is no change as to operational procedure. Which can be very important in a high stress situation.
Carry with what you feel and carry in the condition you feel you must. But practice, practice, practice. It needs to be automatic otherwise you will be fumbling to do fine motor skills actions with the adrenaline dump.

I like your post.
A Glock uses a hybrid action in which the internal striker is partially cocked by the movement of the slide. When the trigger is pulled the first pressure completes the cocking action before the striker is released. This gives the Glock the safety of a self-cocking or double action pistol but with a trigger pull which is only a bit heavier than a single action and is consistent for every shot.
This is a good system,. Having said that the largest number of people who shoot themselves do so with glocks.
With all weapons when you pull from holster the finger should not be in trigger guard. For some reason alot of people who shoot glocks do not follow the number one rule.
I don't like glock,
I don't like the heavier trigger pull and thier is no hammer to pull back for a lighter pull.
My python and other revolver I shoot single action, so I like a revolver better than a glock.
IMO the 1911 is still the best weapon, Bertta 92 a very close second. I can tune them to perfection.
I am sure there is someone who can tune a glock, but the way it is built I have no idea.

daviddz

White Belt
Reaction score
Good video, I don't agree with him on condition 3 and the miltaries of the world don't ether.
Todays US mitary uses condition 2 because of SA/DA weapons.
Present day Israeli miltary regardless of auto pistol uses condition .[/B]

But, The US Army pistol marksmanship manual also calls for a single handed grip of the weapon with the arm extend from the shoulder parelell to the chest. Some how I suspect you do not shoot like that in a defensive situation. I know I don't.

The situation is different between the military, and a civilian with a CCw permit.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not terminology savvy but will give it a go.

I have glock for open carry in a G19 holster = condition 0

If I feel the need I have a strap on the ankle holster with a .38 special = condition 2?

Long rifle I always have in my truck = condition 3 w/safety on

Shotgun I always hove on my side by sides = condition 1

Revolvers are hard to classify, because technically it is ready to fire so that would be condition 0, but from a safety aspect because of the very hard trigger pull it is more like a condtion 2. There are very few accident dicharges pulling from holster. I think those were from people pulling back the hammer as they pull the weapon from the holster.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will never shoot yourself pulling from a holster in condition 3 or condition 2 (only taking the safety off when pointing at target).

You will never shoot yourself drawing from a holster in any condition, if you're properly trained. Relying on a technological solution to a training problem is always a mistake.

With all weapons when you pull from holster the finger should not be in trigger guard. For some reason alot of people who shoot glocks do not follow the number one rule.
I don't like glock,

Again, a training issue. And that's somehow the fault of the gun? Glocks are the most popular. So they're the most often carried. Including by idiots. Do you blame the car when an idiot hits something?

I don't like the heavier trigger pull and thier is no hammer to pull back for a lighter pull.
IMO the 1911 is still the best weapon, Bertta 92 a very close second. I can tune them to perfection.
I am sure there is someone who can tune a glock, but the way it is built I have no idea.

I thought you said you were a gunsmith of some sort? It's far, FAR easier to tune a Glock than any 1911. Tuning a 1911 pretty much always means files and hand fitting and hours of labor. Tuning a Glock means dropping in the parts you want in 5 minutes. There is nothing easier to tune than a Glock.
Heavy pull? My bedside gun (a suppressed Glock 41) has a 2lb pull. That's too light for carry, though. The ones I carry are all set at 4lbs. And none of them took more than a few minutes to tune.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, The US Army pistol marksmanship manual also calls for a single handed grip of the weapon with the arm extend from the shoulder parelell to the chest. Some how I suspect you do not shoot like that in a defensive situation. I know I don't.

The situation is different between the military, and a civilian with a CCw permit.

All services in boot camp teach two hands on gun, arm straight slowly move your arms to firing positon, while slowly squeeze the trigger and fire when centered on target.
Other methods are taught when you get out of basic.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
You will never shoot yourself drawing from a holster in any condition, if you're properly trained. Relying on a technological solution to a training problem is always a mistake.

Again, a training issue. And that's somehow the fault of the gun? Glocks are the most popular. So they're the most often carried. Including by idiots. Do you blame the car when an idiot hits something?

I thought you said you were a gunsmith of some sort? It's far, FAR easier to tune a Glock than any 1911. Tuning a 1911 pretty much always means files and hand fitting and hours of labor. Tuning a Glock means dropping in the parts you want in 5 minutes. There is nothing easier to tune than a Glock.
Heavy pull? My bedside gun (a suppressed Glock 41) has a 2lb pull. That's too light for carry, though. The ones I carry are all set at 4lbs. And none of them took more than a few minutes to tune.

Replacing parts does not make an action better, those hours of homing the action is what changes a good gun to a great gun.
While changing the trigger pull may help you. Changeing the trigger pull does not make your action better or worse.
One of the reason Pythons were the best production revolver, is because they were homed at the factory by expert.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

Your bedside gun (a suppressed Glock 41) has a 2lb pull.
My bedside gun a is in condition 4 for two reasons.
Even though it is in a safe I take no chances my grandchildren will shoot themselves or some else.
I have five dogs in the house, so they will have to shoot my dogs before they will get to us.
If I am a sleep I want to make sure I am fully awake, I don't want to shoot my wife beause she got a midnight snack.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes when you draw your weapon you do'nt get the grip you want, so if you grab the slide every time you pull your weapon you can easily get the grip you want without losing time because you do the same thing every time.

I have never had that happen, and I'm not even that good at drawing my weapon. My thumb sinks right into place.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Replacing parts does not make an action better, those hours of homing the action is what changes a good gun to a great gun.
While changing the trigger pull may help you. Changeing the trigger pull does not make your action better or worse.
One of the reason Pythons were the best production revolver, is because they were homed at the factory by expert.

You're under the impression that the trigger pull is the only thing changed? The action on my Glocks are as smooth as anything reasonable. Sure, a Dan Wesson or a NIghthawk is smoother, but I'm not spending upwards of $5000 for a carry gun. That's just stupid.

Your bedside gun (a suppressed Glock 41) has a 2lb pull.
My bedside gun a is in condition 4 for two reasons.
Even though it is in a safe I take no chances my grandchildren will shoot themselves or some else.
I have five dogs in the house, so they will have to shoot my dogs before they will get to us.
If I am a sleep I want to make sure I am fully awake, I don't want to shoot my wife beause she got a midnight snack.

That all boils down to 'you don't trust yourself'. Got it. That's fine.

Mine is in a safe that takes a second or so to open.
My grandkids can't open the safe. And they're taught gun safety. There's a good chance their parents carry too.
I am no more willing to let someone hurt my dog than any other member of my family.
I trust myself with a loaded gun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I carry like my mentor taught me.

BarneyFife.jpg

One bullet, shirt pocket.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I carry like my mentor taught me.

One bullet, shirt pocket.

If you ever get rid of the revolver, you might be a good candidate for condition tactical butterscotch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father-in-law shoot expert and fought in ww2 and would never carry a 1911 in conditon 1.
When I was in the service I was taught to carry in condition 3.

My grandfather shot himself accidentally with a 303.

Which I would not have thought possible.

But yeah. Super saftey after that.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Condition 0.

Having to chamber a round before you can fire is a bad idea. In a gunfifgt you are starting from a disadvantage.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Funny story; when I was a LEO I made a routine stop as a car was getting on the interstate. The driver came back totally clean but was Really nervous. We talked for a bit and I decided not to him write a ticket for running a red light. He pulled away stopped, pulled forward again, and stopped again. He jumped out of the car and started walking toward me in that really deliberate kind of pace. I took a step back, placed my hand on my weapon (no personal tazers or sprays back then) and he never broke stride. About 3 steps away he starts loudly saying thank you, thank you and reaches out and give me a big handshake. He starts walking back to his car and a P90 falls out of his pants onto the ground. He looks at me and says "you can keep that", got in his car and left. I ran the gun and it came back clean, registered to him. I held the pistol for a day and then went to the guys house to return the pistol. He explained that he was in the middle of a family dispute and had been on his way to confront his brother-in-law expecting things to get really sideways. Said he never wanted to see the pistol again. So we sat there and talked about family matters for a while and I said the only thing I can do with the gun as an officer was turn it in which would run him through some stuff he did not want. So he said "if you come back when you are off duty I will sell you the pistol for a dollar". I came back, 'bought' the pistol and we have been good friends every since.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like your post.
A Glock uses a hybrid action in which the internal striker is partially cocked by the movement of the slide. When the trigger is pulled the first pressure completes the cocking action before the striker is released. This gives the Glock the safety of a self-cocking or double action pistol but with a trigger pull which is only a bit heavier than a single action and is consistent for every shot.
This is a good system,. Having said that the largest number of people who shoot themselves do so with glocks.
I don't like glock,
My python and other revolver I shoot single action, so I like a revolver better than a glock.
Both our Glocks have 3.5 lbs triggers

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Funny story; when I was a LEO I made a routine stop as a car was getting on the interstate. The driver came back totally clean but was Really nervous. We talked for a bit and I decided not to him write a ticket for running a red light. He pulled away stopped, pulled forward again, and stopped again. He jumped out of the car and started walking toward me in that really deliberate kind of pace. I took a step back, placed my hand on my weapon (no personal tazers or sprays back then) and he never broke stride. About 3 steps away he starts loudly saying thank you, thank you and reaches out and give me a big handshake. He starts walking back to his car and a P90 falls out of his pants onto the ground. He looks at me and says "you can keep that", got in his car and left. I ran the gun and it came back clean, registered to him. I held the pistol for a day and then went to the guys house to return the pistol. He explained that he was in the middle of a family dispute and had been on his way to confront his brother-in-law expecting things to get really sideways. Said he never wanted to see the pistol again. So we sat there and talked about family matters for a while and I said the only thing I can do with the gun as an officer was turn it in which would run him through some stuff he did not want. So he said "if you come back when you are off duty I will sell you the pistol for a dollar". I came back, 'bought' the pistol and we have been good friends every since.

Awesome.

Latest Discussions