What CMA do you Practice?

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I enjoy the San Ti Shi practice as well, unfortunately I have a pretty full plate right now so have been reluctant in my practice. Hopefully I'll be able to start up again.

On a side note Xingyi Quan is known for its STS practice as a base.

In the other systems of Nei Gong what would you guys say are its core essentials for instance like Bagua Zhang & Taiji Quan. (are there common variable among these systems or do they have their own core essentials per style?)

I know in Bagua Zhang we used to practice Circle walking with its palm variation practice as a core foundation and in Taiji I would believe that everything can be expressed through Tui Shou practice.

Just my .02 cents

What do you guys/girls think?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I enjoy the San Ti Shi practice as well, unfortunately I have a pretty full plate right now so have been reluctant in my practice. Hopefully I'll be able to start up again.

In the other systems of Nei Gong what would you guys say are its core essentials for instance like Bagua Zhang & Taiji Quan. (are there common variable among these systems or do they have their own core essentials per style?)

I know in Bagua Zhang we used to practice Circle walking with its palm variation practice as a core foundation and in Taiji I would believe that everything can be expressed through Tui Shou practice.

Just my .02 cents

For Bagua and Taiji, IMO, it depends on style. There are forms of Bagua that have stance training similar to Santi Shi just it is the Bagua circle walking stance. As for Taiji if you are talking Chen style, IMO, the basis is Chan Si Jin. If you are talking Yang style it is the long form. And it has been my experience that in taijiquan (Yang and Chen) tuishou is only after the basics and the martial applications of tuishou, in Yang style, come from the 13 postures which most of can be found in the long form.

But, IMO, Xingyiquan without santi shi is not Xingyiquan.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For Bagua and Taiji, IMO, it depends on style. There are forms of Bagua that have stance training similar to Santi Shi just it is the Bagua circle walking stance. As for Taiji if you are talking Chen style, IMO, the basis is Chan Si Jin. If you are talking Yang style it is the long form. And it has been my experience that in taijiquan (Yang and Chen) tuishou is only after the basics and the martial applications of tuishou, in Yang style, come from the 13 postures which most of can be found in the long form.

But, IMO, Xingyiquan without santi shi is not Xingyiquan.

Awesome! Much appreciated.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As my Xingyiquan sigung said "if you can't stand in Santi shi for 20 minutes your not even a beginner". He was talking per side for a total of 40 minutes per day.

By that standard I never made it to beginner I only got to 15 minutes, per side, per day, in santi.

I must confess (with a hint of shame) that I don't have the patience!

Still XYQ has paid huge dividends in the other styles I practice with respect to striking power.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I must confess (with a hint of shame) that I don't have the patience!

Still XYQ has paid huge dividends in the other styles I practice with respect to striking power.

Try standing in Santi just 5 minutes per day for 5 to 7 days a week, per side and you will get more out of it. I am told that at 20 minutes things change but since I never got there I don't really know. But I do know at 10 minutes things get interesting.

But then it all depends on what you are after.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Just my .02 cents

My sifu would say that circle walking with the inner palms (the palm variations) would be the core of Bagua practice and I think that's probably the case for most styles. But I'm not sure that a Yin Fu Bagua stylist would necessarily agree, seeing as how much more linear they are than most other Bagua styles.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's cool. I never knew Sifu to go to California but that could have been before my time (more than three years ago). Who is your Sifu?

Hey Mark,

Actually I talked to Sifu the other day. (well, probably a month or two ago maybe 3 lol)
and he mentioned that he used to travel to the San Fran area pretty frequently, I guess probably when Brendan Lai was still around.

Codeboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. That is probably why. I don't know of any other relation he has in CA.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. That is probably why. I don't know of any other relation he has in CA.

Yea, I know he said he still has some contacts. But didn't go into any detail, but hey its an awesome place! and worth a visit.

Hakkapeliitta

White Belt
Reaction score
I practise Seven Star Praying Mantis here in Finland under shifu Paavo Sjöblom. From there, the lineage goes to shifu Sławomir Milczarek in Poland.

He, in turn, was taught by the late shifu Yu Tiancheng in Yantai, China. In fact, shifu Sławomir Milczarek was the only western student that shifu Yu Tiancheng taught this style to.