What church do you attend?

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just curious. I ask "church" but if you go to a synagog (sp?) or temple put it down. And why do you attend it?

I started out in a presbitarian church then I was reached out to by an ICOC (International Church of Christ) member. After 10 years I left that church and went to a Mainline Church of Christ a couple years. Now I go to a Methodist Church. I'm always looking for a real family oriented church.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Synagogue Bes Menachem - the local Lubavitcher shul

and

Qadiri-Rifai Tariqa - A Sufi order. Currently the local group meets at members' homes.

Why those ones? Well, if you're going to do something worthwhile go to the people who know what they're doing and are serious about it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My church is where I am at any given moment
I do not need the conforts of a building to worship or help me belive

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Same as tshadwochaser. I bluntly refuse to be told what to believe, I am intelligent enough to take the information and believe what I feel to be true from it. I got fed up of being condescended to by someone who claims to have the full take on something by using texts and information that is full of holes.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Same as tshadwochaser. I bluntly refuse to be told what to believe, I am intelligent enough to take the information and believe what I feel to be true from it. I got fed up of being condescended to by someone who claims to have the full take on something by using texts and information that is full of holes.
I'm in agreement with those two.

I attend the LDS church and have been a member since 2000.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
none at the moment. i do try to take time every day for my own sort of devotions and relationship with 'god'.

i'd like to attend a church, but honestly i haven't found any organized religions that match my own faith enough for me not to feel like a hypocrite. i have a fondness for asatru, but all the asatru groups i've found up here are just a thin glaze over white supremacist idiocy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synagogue Bes Menachem - the local Lubavitcher shul

and

Qadiri-Rifai Tariqa - A Sufi order. Currently the local group meets at members' homes.

Why those ones? Well, if you're going to do something worthwhile go to the people who know what they're doing and are serious about it.

Lubavitch are cool! Do the Sufi sing? I love their songs and outlook.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lubavitch are cool! Do the Sufi sing? I love their songs and outlook.

Depends on the Sufis. I have to admit that my Shaykh's singing voice is even worse than the eldritch croaking that passes for my singing voice. On the other hand, we have really cool hate :)

Seriously, music is part of the devotional practice of many (most?) Sufis. Some like the Chisthi specialize in it.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lately when I attend it has been at a local church called Trinity Baptist.

My family has never been one to stick with a specific denomination. We look for what we feel is the best church in the area, regardless of brand name.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been an 'interesting' spiritual odyssey for me:

1. Grew up in the Roman Catholic church. My family was very Catholic, which is different than just being Catholic. For example, you had to be sick to miss school, but you had to be dead to miss church; and even then, they'd just call the Priest to administer Last Rites, so you had to go anyway!
2. Went to college and participated in the Ecumenical Movement (free breakfast at the Catholic Church on Sundays, free bagels at the Hillel Center on Saturdays, Wednesday brunch at the Wesleyan Center, occasional BBQs and beach outings with the Baptists, meetings with other groups if they had food....you get the idea.)
3. Got radically saved, born again, baptized, Spirit-filled, and joined the local Evangelical Charismatic independent non-alligned parachurch campus group (i.e., those 'Jesus Freaks' that preached on campus).
4. Attended the local Assemblies of God back home in between semesters.
5. Moved to California for my first military assignment, and joined a local Independent Church, where I was the 'Token non-Hispanic'.
6. Met and married my Baptist husband in the mainline Lutheran Church he was attending.
7. Moved to our next military duty station and joined a local church that was a branch of a group of independent churches that refused to admit they were a denomination (Go ahead, figure that one out! ;) ).
8. Made our final move and joined an Interdenominational Church (I love it - they are extremely active in the community (jail ministry, working with the elderly, working in the hospital, working with outreach to the poor) and with missions (planted and currently supporting over a dozen churches overseas).

I guess all this 'diversity' helped prepare me for owning and running the local Christian Book and Bible store in our community, where we need to supply materials for and serve every church and every denomination in the surrounding two counties.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I go to a non/interdenominational church.

But I agree with some of the above posts that you do not need to go to church to find God.

I go to church for many of the same reasons that I come to this forum. I like to interact with people who are interested in the pursuing things that are also important to me.

There are many people here that don't agree with me, there are none that I have found in my M.A. style (Chun Kuk Do), and ultimately the time I spend here is no replacement for getting out in the dojo and doing some good, hard, uncomfortable sweating.

But I like to be around you all, and to bounce ideas around, and to find encouragement, as well as to take in other people's perspectives, even if I choose not to agree with them at the end.

I find that a church service has many of the same advantages and shortcomings.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
..........the time I spend here is no replacement for getting out in the dojo and doing some good, hard, uncomfortable sweating.

But I like to be around you all, and to bounce ideas around, and to find encouragement, as well as to take in other people's perspectives, even if I choose not to agree with them at the end.

I find that a church service has many of the same advantages and shortcomings.
Excellent description, thardey! Well said!

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Hope Church a member of The Assemblies of GOD fellowship. Which is headquartered in Springfield, MO.. I belong to the A/G fellowship, because I believe they teach The Word of GOD. I attend The Hope Church, because I have been a witness to, and a receipient of, the love of The Lord Jesus Christ through these people.

1stJohn1:9

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I go to a very small Baptist church and love it there.

I am not into the big mega churches, so this is a great fit for me. Everyone knows everyone and there are no "cliques" or small groups that don't intermingle with others when we have church get togethers. It does really feel like a big family.

Right now, we are finally building a family life center (gymnsium with about 30 classrooms), so I am excited about the classes and fun things we finally can offer. Still, that is just "kool-aid and cookies." The real reason I go to church is to learn about Christ.

You know, along these lines I heard something intersting from my pastor. He said that people that don't go to church aren't really hurting themselves. If they are saved, then they are saved, but they are being selfish by not going and offering their experiences and fellowship to others at the church. In otherwords, he believes that people who don't go to church don't go because they don't believe that there is anything for them, hence the "me generation." He said we should go for others, not ourselves.

I found that very interesting and it gave me food for thought. I have started believing it myself and try to go more because of that speech.

AoG

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ehh i dont really attend much, but im a member of the local Seventh day Adventist church

Latest Discussions