What benefits do you get from your training?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Physical fitness. My level of training is good exercise and I hope that it provides me with a lifetime of good health.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
projected:
1. concentration and focus: i thought it would help make my mind sharper
2. committment
3. Physical fitness, flexibility, and health
4. Humility and humbleness
5. Open-mindedness in terms of learning new cultures

Actual:
none so far!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well?

Oh, one catch. No one may make any mention of fighting or self-defence.
I would be interested in hearing what benefits, other that SD/fighting ability, MMA gives you.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
um....I get my lifestyle....I think that's the biggest one the rest is pretty much a given.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Development of a skill. I like working toward goals and seeing progress.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better cardio, mine sucks

Good way to meet people that share the same interests. Birds of a feather...;)

Increased focus.

MMA, for me is like trying to figure out a puzzle. What is my next move? What will my opponent do next and if he does, how do I counter?

that is just off the top of my head. :)

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Better cardio, mine sucks

Good way to meet people that share the same interests. Birds of a feather...;)

Increased focus.

MMA, for me is like trying to figure out a puzzle. What is my next move? What will my opponent do next and if he does, how do I counter?

that is just off the top of my head. :)
Sounds like Chess, while running.....and getting punched in the face.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
Sounds like Chess, while running.....and getting punched in the face.

LOL! Something like that, for me anyways ;)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fun!

I'm surprised that no one has flat out said it yet! ;)

I really like this thread. I often wonder about the longevity of people who have a singular focus on the banned words of this thread. Those words may get someone into an art, but I think that it takes more to keep them.

upnorthkyosa

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
#1 - Fun, no question about that.

Fitness is definately another, training is great for that. Works damn near everything.

I definately like the strategy aspect of what I do, sparring is definately a thinking game, you got to work ahead of the other guy and make him react the way you need him too to get the end result.

The social aspect of training is rather nice with the right people. It's like a really sweaty night at a pool hall ;)

Hand eye co-ordination is much improved, especially with weapons work.

Ability to rely on other senses as well (Give some blind folded grappling a try)

However, on the flip side of that....

Posture in MMA likely sucks in the long term. It is not natural, everything is always getting twisted, compressed and hunched up.

The type of thinking that traditional forms require is rather different. In some ways I miss that sort of puzzle.

There was also the puzzle of trying to translate movement into application (bunkai), which again, is a great mental excercise missing from MMA.

I have some doubts as too how old I will be able to continue this until, at 70 I don't think hard contact stuff will be what I am jumping into... Could probably still coach at that point, maybe even do some pieces, but a lot of it has a best before date on it.

anyways, lots more on either side, strengths and weaknesses. Keep em comin ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a hobby. I enjoy it. I no longer am so interested in self-defense. I'm rarely where I might be attacked. Could it happen? Yes. But if that was the concern I'd get a conceealed carry permit instead.

G

goshawk

Peace, relaxation, an hour-long space in the day when I don't have to be anything but myself and the way my body moves. That's a rare and precious thing; that sense of absolute safety and acceptance, the sense that you don't have to keep any of the masks. I don't find it anywhere else other than home.

Funny, though. I mean, kenpo? Not exactly known for its peace and tranquility. Still. I'm never more calm that after a good training session.

Other benefits being of course your standard fitness, fun, and discipline.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It has become a journey to find inner peace withen myself. At first it was about my father wishes. In the middle it was about fighting. Towards the last 10 years devoted to training those wishing to find there place in the Arts. As of today it is about my son's and there dreams about what they want from the art of tkd. That about sums it up for me.

Terry

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Well?

Oh, one catch. No one may make any mention of fighting or self-defence.
Self control, discipline, strength, agility, stamina, peacefull thoughts, patience, motivation, and a great start in becoming the magnanimous person I hope to be. My training taught me how to live.

And, I can dance better than any other dude in the club!:partyon:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many of these answers could be my own. Of course, there's fun and similar people, increased coordination and focus, a degree of fitness and a modicum of discipline; but, I am encountering a spiritual aspect, as well. The ability to see what is front of me for what it is instead of what it may, could or should be stems from my involvement in learning my martial art. I have also become more controlled in my personal life, regarding emotions, confrontations et cetera.

I like the comparison above...Rook to QB3, Kia! Thump. heheh

egg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
#1 - Fun, no question about that.

Fitness is definately another, training is great for that. Works damn near everything.

I definately like the strategy aspect of what I do, sparring is definately a thinking game, you got to work ahead of the other guy and make him react the way you need him too to get the end result.

The social aspect of training is rather nice with the right people. It's like a really sweaty night at a pool hall ;)

Hand eye co-ordination is much improved, especially with weapons work.

Ability to rely on other senses as well (Give some blind folded grappling a try)

However, on the flip side of that....

Posture in MMA likely sucks in the long term. It is not natural, everything is always getting twisted, compressed and hunched up.

The type of thinking that traditional forms require is rather different. In some ways I miss that sort of puzzle.

There was also the puzzle of trying to translate movement into application (bunkai), which again, is a great mental excercise missing from MMA.

I have some doubts as too how old I will be able to continue this until, at 70 I don't think hard contact stuff will be what I am jumping into... Could probably still coach at that point, maybe even do some pieces, but a lot of it has a best before date on it.

anyways, lots more on either side, strengths and weaknesses. Keep em comin ;)
that's an answer I can respect. thank you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never been that interested in fighting. to tell the truth, the thought of being in real fights makes me queasy.

I don't remember what it was like to not train. I do it because it is just what I do, and I enjoy the process. I don't have any goals, so to speak, I just enjoy the practice.

It keeps me in great shape, keeps me flexible, keeps me mentally grounded and sharp, and can act to release tension and stress. These are all just side-effects, however. Mostly, I just enjoy the practice. I am not sure how to define it any more specifically.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I get a better understanding of my life, where I fit into the universe, and the vision to live life to it's fullest by being able to take advantage of the winds and waves life throws at us on all levels of our existance. :asian:

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the thought of being in a fight is supposed to make you queasy, Adrenoberger

Latest Discussions