What are your school's rules?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Simon - absolutely it's an interesting one. I think the restrictions on sharing (and the others, tbh) all originate back in the days when these were proprietary warfare systems. Protecting the secrets provided a comparative advantage. Essentially (like the school) obsolete concepts these days, for the most part.
I do think the secrecy is an outdated notion, but I also can understand why it makes sense to limit how much is shown to the general public.

For those who are interested in possibly learning the method, they need to be able to see enough of it to inform their decision.

For experienced martial artists who have friendships and whatnot, there should be no reason why they cannot share amongst themselves, to whatever level they feel is appropriate.

I really don’t see any reason to make an entire curriculum available for the general public to gawk at. This is stuff that typically requires some context and background in order to make sense and understand. Putting it all out on the internet for example, I think doesn’t do it any justice. People who are not involved in the training really don’t need to see it all. There is no point. In a way it feels to me like it can cheapen it a bit, devalues the method a bit, kind of disrespects the work required to build skill with it, by turning it into a visual spectacle.

D

Deleted member 39746

I honestly have no idea, i havent been given a codified list. Wait, if i recall one set correctly (and i dont recall being givena list for it) its just respect your dobok and follow the tenents and dont be a twat and follow instructions. (i saw the dobok thing in refrence to a grading sheet i think, no idea cant remmeber) Most of its just common sense and doesnt need to be codified, but given TKD has 5 tenets you are meant to act accordling to them. Which pretty much covers your general behaviour.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do think the secrecy is an outdated notion, but I also can understand why it makes sense to limit how much is shown to the general public.

For those who are interested in possibly learning the method, they need to be able to see enough of it to inform their decision.

For experienced martial artists who have friendships and whatnot, there should be no reason why they cannot share amongst themselves, to whatever level they feel is appropriate.

I really don’t see any reason to make an entire curriculum available for the general public to gawk at. This is stuff that typically requires some context and background in order to make sense and understand. Putting it all out on the internet for example, I think doesn’t do it any justice. People who are not involved in the training really don’t need to see it all. There is no point. In a way it feels to me like it can cheapen it a bit, devalues the method a bit, kind of disrespects the work required to build skill with it, by turning it into a visual spectacle.

If I ever start doing a martial arts vlog, this is one video I want to do: why the person in the video is compliant, and no that doesn't mean the art only teaches compliance.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I get what you are saying. I struggle with some of it but do see value in making it available to active students, especially in the current climate. There is a big mechanical advantage but a Lot can be missed if video is all someone gets in the way of training. A spectator could easily misunderstand what they are looking at, that is why I prefer schools to limit access to students. We use an email system to provide video instruction. If you included your email address when you signed up (a requirement) you get the emails.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea, i havent been given a codified list. Wait, if i recall one set correctly (and i dont recall being givena list for it) its just respect your dobok and follow the tenents and dont be a twat and follow instructions. (i saw the dobok thing in refrence to a grading sheet i think, no idea cant remmeber) Most of its just common sense and doesnt need to be codified, but given TKD has 5 tenets you are meant to act accordling to them. Which pretty much covers your general behaviour.
Haha it would be amazing and oh I long for the day when the first (or any) rule of a dojo is this:

1) Don't be a twat.

2)...

XD

Patience

White Belt
Reaction score
STRIKE FIRST

STRIKE HARD

NO MERCY, SIR!

Also...

Fear does not exist in this dojo.

Pain does not exist in this dojo.