what are you?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
At times, we all need to get away from things and become "one with the force" again. Some go by the ocean or lake because a body of water is soothing and peaceful. Some go to the wilderness, or forested area to be with nature. Some go hiking on a mountain, hill etc..

So, What nature type person are you in this type of moment?

I like to be by the ocean. Not so much a beach, but more of a park that stretches out into the ocean and sit on a bench. I could sit there all day.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The mountains. I don't mean those hills--I mean large ones, like the Rocky Mountain Range. There is something peaceful for me, and the smell of trees, with cool mountain rivers. Also awesome to see the animals that live and roam there. A mountain feels solid. AAAaaahhh!

- Ceicei

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Large bodies of water. They are ever changing, from calm to raging. I can get lost in them, and also feel very small. With water there is the visual, then with your eyes closed and listening, you can get consumed. Water is very relaxing while, and once your voyage is over.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like riding through the MetroParks and finding a quiet spot..Sitting on my bike among the trees and water is always uplifting...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Small mountains and green forests. I absolutely love hiking in luxembourg, visiting old castles, walking alongside little wild rivers across large stones.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of places, mostly in the USA. The Western Slope of the Colorado Rocky Mountains, the High Country on the Eastern Slope, the Ozarks where my people first settled in the USA, the American South-Western desert, the Four Corners area. Upper Michigan, Ohio River Valley, Illinois River. Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smoky Mountains. Most of our national forests. Truman Dam and environs. Ohio and West Virginia along Highway 33 from Circleville, Ohio to Bluefield, WV. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico and Colorado. Salt Lake City. Most of Wyoming by Amtrak. Pickle Meadows Mountain Warfare Training Center, CA. Mystic, Connecticut. Long Island, New York. Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Twenty-Nine Palms, California.

Vancouver, Canada. Naha, Okinawa, Japan. Subic Bay and Grande Island, Philippines. Bochum, Germany. Manaus, Brazil. The hutongs of Beijing, China. Masan, South Korea. Montreal, Canada.

I can, as you probably guessed, 'recharge my batteries' nearly anywhere. Any setting; I can see and feel the beauty of that place, absorb and appreciate the splendor. I only need to relax and be at one with it. I love to travel by car and motorcycle, on my own schedule, with no destination. Some of the best vacations I ever took were alone - me and my old Toyota pick up truck, a sleeping bag and my thoughts and the road.

I once took off from Denver on a two-week vacation with no destination in mind - I just followed my nose. Drove up into the High Country. Saw elk grazing side-by-side with horses in a penned corral with snow on their backs and breathing steam, their antlers like crowns on their heads. Drove down through beautiful green valleys on narrow switchbacks, where every turn revealed a new verdant delight to the eyes, hawks and eagles led my truck on, and wading in a tiny stream in water so cold it hurt felt like being in church. When I hit Mesa Verde, I had my first involuntary vision-quest-like dreams, sleeping on pullouts under the stars in the back of my truck, seeing stars so large and bright like they were coming down to get me. Never one to wear my religion on my sleeve, or to necessarily connect religion and spirituality, as I neared Four Corners, I felt the power, so strong and intimate and deep that I thought well, if this isn't the Face of God, it will do until I find Her. I drove across Arizona and into California, looped back and came home, never stopped marveling.

I've felt the power, or The Force if you prefer, in a number of places since then. Standing on the battlefields of Gettysburg, where Pickett's Charge ruined itself against the Union lines. Driving through the Sangre de Cristos on Highway 159 from Questa, New Mexico through to Fort Garland, Colorado, and then from 150 to the Great Sand Dunes. Driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway, when the steam begins to rise from the Smoky Mountains and the ridges do indeed, turn blue. Soaking in the caverns in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Standing in silence in the darkness deep inside Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. At the Marine Corps Memorial in DC. Visiting the Mother Cabrini Shrine in Colorado. Even at the Very Large Array. Even driving through West Virginia and smelling the smoke from coal fires in towns like Clifton Forge, West Virginia.

I love life, I love the world, I love America. I find things to like about wherever I am, but I always have the wanderlust too. I recharge my batteries wherever I am, I fill myself with the beauty that presents itself to me. Life is good.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wide, open spaces. Mountain tops, oceans, it's the same.

But in a pinch, honestly? Nothing beats sitting out on my own lawn,under the apple trees in bloom, with a good book. :)

DarkShadowfax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a forest person. I love riding through forests and sitting somewhere beneath a tree, or climbing trees.
Horseback riding through forests and in mountain areas works for me as well.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like to indulge in my other sport of geocaching, which usually takes me out into the boonies and away from the big city.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A forest, minus the bitting bugs, a gentle breeze blowing through the leaves, moss on the rocks, a light drizzle....

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recharge anywhere I don't go very often that is away from people and the background hum of the city. River valleys, lakes, forests, mountain peaks, deserts or even the ocean. I like to be able to hear the birds and see the deep blue sky or hear the bugs and see the Milky Way.

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to go walk through the forest usually alone and listen to the wind move through the trees. It's very calming and let's you quiet your mind. Unfortunately I live in the desert so I have to drive up north in order to do that.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the kind of forrest you get in the Blue ridge and at the edges of the Shanendoah valley. My kid's Great grandparents have land in Fort Valley, Va. We plan on moving about half or 3/4 of the way out there from here (Eastern Prince WQilliam County, Va, Tidal basin, reclaimed lowland swamp land. Pretty for the Burbs but....) within a year or sooner.

I like Key Marathon,or a small spot of Delray Fla, where I lived once you would walk 1/3 of a mile through some swampy woods and then be on a beach hardly anyone knew about or bothered to go.

I like the rolling feilds of Middleberg, Va.

Overaqll I am the Woods, but I like it to have gullys, ridges and the like, I don't tend to like flat land. Flat land is one of the 10 reasons I left Florida, I need some hills.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of places, mostly in the USA. The Western Slope of the Colorado Rocky Mountains, the High Country on the Eastern Slope, the Ozarks where my people first settled in the USA, the American South-Western desert, the Four Corners area. Upper Michigan, Ohio River Valley, Illinois River. Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smoky Mountains. Most of our national forests. Truman Dam and environs. Ohio and West Virginia along Highway 33 from Circleville, Ohio to Bluefield, WV. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico and Colorado. Salt Lake City. Most of Wyoming by Amtrak. Pickle Meadows Mountain Warfare Training Center, CA. Mystic, Connecticut. Long Island, New York. Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Twenty-Nine Palms, California.

Vancouver, Canada. Naha, Okinawa, Japan. Subic Bay and Grande Island, Philippines. Bochum, Germany. Manaus, Brazil. The hutongs of Beijing, China. Masan, South Korea. Montreal, Canada.

I can, as you probably guessed, 'recharge my batteries' nearly anywhere. Any setting; I can see and feel the beauty of that place, absorb and appreciate the splendor. I only need to relax and be at one with it. I love to travel by car and motorcycle, on my own schedule, with no destination. Some of the best vacations I ever took were alone - me and my old Toyota pick up truck, a sleeping bag and my thoughts and the road.

I once took off from Denver on a two-week vacation with no destination in mind - I just followed my nose. Drove up into the High Country. Saw elk grazing side-by-side with horses in a penned corral with snow on their backs and breathing steam, their antlers like crowns on their heads. Drove down through beautiful green valleys on narrow switchbacks, where every turn revealed a new verdant delight to the eyes, hawks and eagles led my truck on, and wading in a tiny stream in water so cold it hurt felt like being in church. When I hit Mesa Verde, I had my first involuntary vision-quest-like dreams, sleeping on pullouts under the stars in the back of my truck, seeing stars so large and bright like they were coming down to get me. Never one to wear my religion on my sleeve, or to necessarily connect religion and spirituality, as I neared Four Corners, I felt the power, so strong and intimate and deep that I thought well, if this isn't the Face of God, it will do until I find Her. I drove across Arizona and into California, looped back and came home, never stopped marveling.

I've felt the power, or The Force if you prefer, in a number of places since then. Standing on the battlefields of Gettysburg, where Pickett's Charge ruined itself against the Union lines. Driving through the Sangre de Cristos on Highway 159 from Questa, New Mexico through to Fort Garland, Colorado, and then from 150 to the Great Sand Dunes. Driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway, when the steam begins to rise from the Smoky Mountains and the ridges do indeed, turn blue. Soaking in the caverns in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Standing in silence in the darkness deep inside Mammoth Cave, Kentucky. At the Marine Corps Memorial in DC. Visiting the Mother Cabrini Shrine in Colorado. Even at the Very Large Array. Even driving through West Virginia and smelling the smoke from coal fires in towns like Clifton Forge, West Virginia.

I love life, I love the world, I love America. I find things to like about wherever I am, but I always have the wanderlust too. I recharge my batteries wherever I am, I fill myself with the beauty that presents itself to me. Life is good.

I get the same feeling standing at Bull Run, I plan on being in Belgium in 2015 for the 200th annversery of the Battle of Waterloo.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountains, when I'm climbing 'em ;)

Mt. Chocorua, NH July 3, 2010

Attachments

• $CG on Mt. Chocorua 7-3-10.jpg
    $CG on Mt. Chocorua 7-3-10.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 105

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Close to home, I take the Jeep and head out into the most difficult to reach parts of the Rockies. If the trail to get there is at least an 8/10, I'm sure to find three things: Incredible beauty, solitude, and as near a complete lack of rubbish as it's possible to find.

Otherwise, I'll be found on the bottom of the ocean. The beach is nice. Very nice. But nothing beats floating weightless on a reef, the only other person in sight my dive buddy (who also happens to be my wife) surrounded by animals that are not only in their natural state, but (unlike land animals) unafraid of us. We're not seen as predators, so we're not treated as a threat. I've got video taken while diving with a school of Angels showing them rubbing up against me like a bunch of finned cats.

Last edited:

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hail from Pennsylvania, so I love rolling mountains. It's one thing that occasionally stuck in my craw when I lived in central Kentucky - too damn flat!

I love hiking, and canoeing. I'm also a big fan of cross-country skiing to the point that I held on to my skis even during my 12 years in the South. We'd get one or two blizzards a year, and I was notorious for strapping them on and whizzing around my very urban neighborhood when they'd hit. I'd get a lot of double-takes and thumbs-up as I went by, especially when the roads were impassable. Great fun!

I think my favorite place though is The Road. Every so often I'll take a big trans-national road trip. I'll follow a general theme like "Rt. 66" or "The Appalachian Trail," and then I'll just improvise. I have a special fondness for kitsch, so I'm all about the goofy museums and motels where Elvis supposedly slept. And of course lots of natural beauty too. I always take these trips with my dog - it's easy because hotels are increasingly pet-friendly, and he's a great travel companion. I carry camping gear, but I also set up my pickup truck bed as a micro-mini RV with a nice air mattress and curtains for the windows. I love the feeling of total freedom with no particular agenda or schedule.

Latest Discussions