What are you hiding in your car?

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys or girls keep some type of martial art weapon in your car. I know a few people who keep escrima sticks under the front seat in their car. (Shh, yea, yea I know police don't like it!) Anyway in GA, I believe, if you have some type of weapon (unless licensed) it must be put out of reach of the driver: trunk, glove box ect. My instructor has been stopped by the police and got in trouble for this very thing (he was transporting some of the studio's practice weapons from one place to another in his back seat).

Another thing, you feel it should be allowed to be able to carry yur martial art weapons with you?

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry an escrima stick with me under the front seat at all times. I also carry my association membership with me and hand it over along with my driver license and tell the office I have it whenever I am pulled over.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tools. I keep tools in my car. And ... percussive musical instruments. That's what I keep in my car. ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cleaning my car would be an exercise in archeaology, not housekeeping. Dig deep enough and you might find Jimmy Hoffa somewhere under the back seat lying on top of an original Depression era Twinkie. The whole thing could be considered a biological weapon by UN standards.

I don't keep weapons in the car per se. They're too attractive to thieves. The chance of getting carjacked is so close to zero that it makes more sense to carry an inflatable life raft in case of floods. But I believe in being prepared for a number of emergencies, so I have a few useful things on hand. They include
  1. An all-in-one emergency repair kit including jumper cables, flares, a small set of ratchets, min-compressor, tire-patcher, spare fuses, oil or Slick-50
  2. Mud-and-Snow kit including small machete, folding shovel, gallon of water, kitty litter. Extra points for anyone who can tell me what the last two are for.
  3. Mylar blanket, four man-days of Coast Guard approved emergency food, hexane stove, matches or butane lighter, pocket knife or multitool
  4. 4 C-cell Maglite
There's a few things in there that could be useful in, errr, serious social occasions. But none of them is there as a weapon.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
  1. Mud-and-Snow kit including small machete, folding shovel, gallon of water, kitty litter. Extra points for anyone who can tell me what the last two are for.
My guess would be the water is for your radiator over heating and kitty litter for oil should some spill?

I used to keep my tonfas in my car, because i got crap from my deans for carrying them (unlady like crap) but i don't have a car anymore :( just my husbands and he doesn't like me leaving stuff in it lol

OP
kenpofighter

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, let me ask this to the people who carry escrima sticks under their seat. Do you plan to tell your attacker to wait out in the parking lot while you run and get your sticks, or do you plan to try to pull them out from under the seat when someone sticks a rod through your open window and politely asks for your green paper. What do you really carry them there for?

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A hammer. Good grip. Fits on the sides of the front seats. Legal everywhere. Looks mean and crazy...

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My guess would be the water is for your radiator over heating and kitty litter for oil should some spill?

Could be, but the real reason is a little different.

The kitty litter is for getting stuck in the mud. Put it down in the direction you want to go and as far under the wheel as you can get. It provides traction for just long enough. In freezing weather mix it with the water. It freezes into a roughened slab that, once again, adds just enough traction for just long enough.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
cold steel special forces shovel in plain sight in the passengers side floor boards.
its sharp, works as an axe in combat and or a club if you use the flat of the blade. capable of axe type wounds and also throwing like a tomahawk. but if asked.. its a shovel/ entrenching tool that is there for digging me out of any problems i might have in the snow in winter, and just kinda left there.
especially as a karateka/ kobujitsu and SCA heavy fighter who likes an axe or pole arm for weapons it is really very efficient and effective.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I'm going to my Arnis class, I have the sticks, but that is really the only time they're in the car. And when they are in the car, I make an effort to keep them with my gym bag in the backseat.

The only other 'weapon' that I carry in the car would be a pen. Is it a deadly weapon? Probably not, but if its a tool that is perfectly legal to carry, perfectly legal to have in your vehicle and could cause enough pain or discomfort to buy me time to do something else, I'm all for using it. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I'm going to my Arnis class, I have the sticks, but that is really the only time they're in the car. And when they are in the car, I make an effort to keep them with my gym bag in the backseat.

The only other 'weapon' that I carry in the car would be a pen. Is it a deadly weapon? Probably not, but if its a tool that is perfectly legal to carry, perfectly legal to have in your vehicle and could cause enough pain or discomfort to buy me time to do something else, I'm all for using it. :)

I carry my sticks in a gymbag locked in the trunk, or the bed of my truck locked in the shell. Shesulsa, Tellner, Chinto and the rest all have it right. You are better off without weapons in your car. Now tools or sporting equipment that you can really justify carrying--I agree, that's the way to go. Strictly out of convenience I carry my "club" brand steering wheel lock next to me on the passenger's seat. It looks pretty awkward at first glance, but you could do a lotta damage with that sucker. It's always right at hand, and you never have to justify why it's there. And, I actually use it daily to secure my car--which, in all probability is all I'll ever need it for, since I tend to stay out of trouble anyway.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont hide anything but you might find
escrima sticks, tire iron, rope, walking sick or cane and if most of my uniform happens to be on the back seat a knife or 2 with the uniform

OP
kenpofighter

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey no one has yet answered weather or not you think it should be legal to carry your martial art weapons with you in your car. Do you think that is a right that we (MA) should or should not have?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the other thread, the only thing hidden in my car is my twisted mind.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing is hidden, but I have a spring handled lead sap, and about 8 knives in various forms. Plus, there are tools that I have to have with me all the time, and some of them are excellent weapons.