What are Some of the Most Unusual Weapons Designed for Western Martial Arts?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are Some of the Most Unusual Weapons Designed for Western Martial Arts? Ball and chain comes to mind as well as does spikes on the bracelets. Others? They don't absolutly have to be unique to WMA, just independently developed (as far as we know) in the west as well as being beyond the sword, kife, spear, etc.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are Some of the Most Unusual Weapons Designed for Western Martial Arts? Ball and chain comes to mind as well as does spikes on the bracelets. Others? They don't absolutly have to be unique to WMA, just independently developed (as far as we know) in the west as well as being beyond the sword, kife, spear, etc.

Ford F150

seriously though... I can't think of alot of weapons that don't have oriental analogies. Some devices of torture are a bit unique I think though, though I've not extensively studied their histories.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you think of the USA you find all cultures effect about every aspect So All forms ov weapons will be used by the many who practice a M/A or just fight if they have to Street Fighters. rocks beer bottles chairs antthing that works. Then the old gun It stops alot. But thats often misused more for crimes.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tire iron? Baseball bat?

I heard that the Baseball bat is the number one sports item sold in Ireland.

The funny thing is that they do not play baseball. :confused:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ford F150

seriously though... I can't think of alot of weapons that don't have oriental analogies. Some devices of torture are a bit unique I think though, though I've not extensively studied their histories.

The vehicle is a great weapon. It is part of your self defense tools when you are in one, it allows you to get away. Even if you have to drive over a curb.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The vehicle is a great weapon. It is part of your self defense tools when you are in one, it allows you to get away. Even if you have to drive over a curb.

I'd be interested if any martial arts have been adapted to cars... defensive driving, strategies, etc.. Its a big large, but its still a tool!

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be interested if any martial arts have been adapted to cars... defensive driving, strategies, etc.. Its a big large, but its still a tool!

I have done joint locks in cars to keep people under control.

A person behind me after seeing twister and being afraid of tornado's grabbed the seat belt and my neck and started yelling twister. I turned the car towards a low point off the express way it also just happened to a small pond. After we left the road at 60 MPH, I slowed down that much, the guy let go of me more afraid of crashing into the pond as he could not swim. The mythical twister did not exist, but as soon as he let go of choking me, I grabbed his wrist and torqued him real bad while he was screaming what are you doing? I stopped the vehilce and told him and the other passengers you never choke or screw around with the driver accidents happen that way (* was a first responder to a car load of high school kids who died this way *). I explained that if there was a twister I could not see I had to trust him and his screaming to take action. I explained to him that I cared not if he could swim or not if he choked me again while driving, I would take him for a long swim. Him and the other engineers thought I took it a little far, but they never screwed around again while I was in the car or driving.

As to training with cars, get an old beater, and learn to roll across the front of the hood. This gets you into thinking about how to roll across a vehicle to get to safety. There is no way to safely practice with a roll across a moving vehicle. Been there and done that, it hurts and had a limp for weeks. But I did not get "hit" by the car.

Another case, I was driving a friend home and we pulled up on two vehicles at a light, they were following each other so I could have gone to either side. Instead I staid back and coasted up slowly, two guys got out of the van following the car. I put the car in reverse and started going backwards, the friend in the car was concerned that I was now reversing the wrong way on a one way street. The guys were carrying something in their hands, and it looked to me like a scene out of a movie. It turned out that the objects were not guns and they handed them to the car in front of them. The friend was then really surprised about observation and reactions, even though he was a black belt before me, this had never crossed his mind.

There are lots of things a vehicle can assist with or be used to assist with your training. :)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This of course assumes that you can find a Yugo that is still running.

Substitute the Sprint or Metro and you have the same issue. ;) Once again technique crosses cultures and countries of origin. :D ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check these out!
http://www.horstheld.com/0-blades.htm

THat first one pictured is just mean looking!

Thanks Ken!
icon6.gif