what are olisi and sinwalli

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some instruction works best static to dynamic. Isolation of detail to free-flow.

Just because you can break a static board or activate a pressure point on a static target means you can pull it off as the Professor said, "in the real".

Static is only the start.

W

Wingman

Originally posted by arnisandyz
Maybe someone with better knowledge of Tagalog and other dilects can help but I'll try...

Siwali - noun - a woven matt (or basket)

Maglala - verb - to weave something (like a matt or basket)

You would think Siniwali would be the "verb" tense of siwali, but I'm pretty sure its not. It sounds more like a "Pig-Latin" type of thing going, (Instead of a basket (n) - you say someone is basketing (v) basically "verbatising a noun. To compound things, there are many dilects in the PI and Tagolog is really hard for me to speak, although I understand it pretty good.

In Bisaya/Cebuano dialect, a noun can become a verb by inserting "in" to the root word. For example, the word "Bisaya" is a noun. It can be made into a verb by inserting "in". So it becomes Binisaya, meaning, to speak in Bisayan language. It's the same with Sawali & Sinawali.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats cool wingman...

Does that apply to "all" nouns, some, or only a select few and where does the "in" get inserted into the word, in the beginning, middle or after, or does it depend? I would imagine that it depends on the root word and the dialect.

Thanks for the info.

W

Wingman

Originally posted by arnisandyz
Thats cool wingman...

Does that apply to "all" nouns, some, or only a select few and where does the "in" get inserted into the word, in the beginning, middle or after, or does it depend? I would imagine that it depends on the root word and the dialect.

Thanks for the info.

Not all nouns because not all nouns can become a verb.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Wingman,

Thanks for sharing that information!!! Its so cool to get behind the meaning of some words that we can take for granted just because it comes from another langauge.

Best regards,

Palusut

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought I had read in one of my arnis books that sinawali came from sanawali refering to the woven matts.

Although I've loaned the book out and I haven't got it back so I can't qoute it. However I was wondering with the discussion of dielects of the Philippines going on, does anyone know if this is correct. Is there a word sanawali? If not than I need to correct one of my handouts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One the single sinawali and the double sinawali thought.

I had heard from someone years back that single sinawali refered to only using one stick at a time and double sinawali meant that the two sticks were used interwovenly one after the other.

The single sinawali drills had many of the same motions as the double sinawali drills only they used the single stick to complete the strikes and then the other side repeated the sequence.

Mark

Latest Discussions