what are olisi and sinwalli

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Howdy all. I have my first test on Friday and I am drawing a blank on what Olisi and Sinwalli are. :confused: Any ideas? Links to pictures would be helpful if possible.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought 'olisi' was another word for 'baston', which is basically your stick.

Sinawali are various stick drills, like 'standard six', 'heaven six', 'broken six', '8-count', etc. I think the word has something to do with weaving, and in fact may mean 'to weave' or something equivalent.

I'm sure much more learned people can correct any mistakes I may have made.

Cthulhu

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CFR,

Going along with Cthulhu, Olisi Palad translates to "Palm Stick".

There are various levels of its use:

I. Like a kubaton, the short stick of wood or metal rod on key chains. It can be used for joint-lock and pressure-point manipulation, striking, and control.

II. Using the same instrument or slightly larger variety can be used for Espada Y Daga (used instead of the knife). Please refer to "The Practical Art of Eskrima", 2nd Edition, page 85 which has a picture of the late Grandmaster Remy A.Presas using it in this method.

For Sinawali references: please refer to the following books:

"Modern Arnis" by Remy A. Presas - referred as the "yellow book".

"Complete Sinawali", by Reynaldo S. Galang.

Both of these books can be found at any major Borders or Barnes and Nobles bookstore.

Good luck,

Palusut

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

Sinawali are various stick drills, like 'standard six', 'heaven six', 'broken six', '8-count', etc.
Cthulhu

I think you are correct on this one though Im not sure. My school is big into heaven six and its not on my school pamphlet of what I need for the test. So Im guessing thats it. Can anyone confirm?
Thanks Cthulhu.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heaven - generally means targeting the head.

Man - generally means targeting the trunk.

Earth - generally means targeting the legs.

I cannot absolutely speak for your style but Heaven-Six generally means striking all head shots.

Heaven-Earth-Heaven means Head-Leg-Head.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut
I cannot absolutely speak for your style but Heaven-Six generally means striking all head shots.

An other way to look at it is that all six strikes the tips of the sticks are pointed at Heaven.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alas, prime example of three years of teaching as compared to 20. Thanks Tim:).

Also in the Philippine dueling culture, the opponents would offer choices of final destinations :eek:.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alas, prime example of three years of teaching as compared to 20. Thanks Tim:).

No problem Grasshopper.:asian: :rofl:

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heaven - generally means targeting the head.

Man - generally means targeting the trunk.

Earth - generally means targeting the legs.

Heaven-Earth-Heaven means Head-Leg-Head.

So do you know if Sinwalli translates to heaven six or the like?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Cthulhu stated, Sinawali literally is translated as "to weave", ie like in a rattan/wicker basket.

From a FMA perspective, the basic level translates to the sinawali drills but at an advance level it can be what you do to your opponent's limbs ie traps and ties.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Al and Andy used the 'tips pointing up' as the explanation for the name of Heaven Six. Heaven and Earth (also called 'standard 6') is so named because the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and last strike have the tips pointing up and the 2nd and 5th strikes have the tips pointing down.

Guro Dionaldo's Punyo Mano system is a good demonstration of 'advanced' sinawalli.

Cthulhu

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As Cthulhu stated, Sinawali literally is translated as "to weave", ie like in a rattan/wicker basket.

Actually, I heard it doesn't DIRECTLY translate. It comes from SIWALI which is the woven matt used for walls/flooring/baskets, etc. but yes, I heard the same, its for the woven pattern.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, with all due respect...I never really got the term "single siniwali"...if one hand is doing the motion its not really "weaving" in and out of the other is it? I guess one could have the argument that it is weaving in and out of the opponents attack/defense.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe someone with better knowledge of Tagalog and other dilects can help but I'll try...

Siwali - noun - a woven matt (or basket)

Maglala - verb - to weave something (like a matt or basket)

You would think Siniwali would be the "verb" tense of siwali, but I'm pretty sure its not. It sounds more like a "Pig-Latin" type of thing going, (Instead of a basket (n) - you say someone is basketing (v) basically "verbatising a noun. To compound things, there are many dilects in the PI and Tagolog is really hard for me to speak, although I understand it pretty good.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by cfr
So do you know if Sinwalli translates to heaven six or the like?

Yes - Heaven Six is a version of "Sinawali," a term now generally used to mean double-weapon fighing. It is one of the most popular sinawali drills, primarily because it introduces the student to a simple overhand forehand and backhand striking pattern done in a symmetrical fashion. It should be noted that there are other patterns that teach the student how to attack on different levels, patterns that incorporate simultaneous parrying and striking, double hits, thrusts, etc., as well as asymmetrical Sinawali patterns that are more difficult to learn.

Reyaldo Galang states in
Sinawali: Complete Filipino Double-Weapon Fighting that the term Sinawali, which means literally "woven," originates from Pampanga, in the central Luzon Plain.

He also states that,

Contrary to popular belief, the art of Sinawali is not exclusively a double-weapon system, but also includes the use of single weapons, knives, and the long pole, or "pingga." (1)

Best,

Steve Lamade

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisandyz
By the way, with all due respect...I never really got the term "single siniwali"...if one hand is doing the motion its not really "weaving" in and out of the other is it? I guess one could have the argument that it is weaving in and out of the opponents attack/defense.

It is for Remy's solo baston drill. Remy would use two stick while you used one.

G

Grasshoppah

Sinawali should be moving around and using body language and foot work. Standing in one place going faster and faster looks like Patty cake patty cake.Standing in one place is for beginners. Use meaning behind the strikes and aim for targets. Just hitting each others sticks is not the exercise.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grasshoppah
Sinawali should be moving around and using body language and foot work. Standing in one place going faster and faster looks like Patty cake patty cake.Standing in one place is for beginners. Use meaning behind the strikes and aim for targets. Just hitting each others sticks is not the exercise.

Siniwali is not even "an exercise", its a concept of weaving motion use in context of other concepts/principles like zoning and positioning (which would give you your footwork you mentioned). The flow drills are just one way to practice the concept.

G

Grasshoppah

Originally posted by arnisandyz
Siniwali is not even "an exercise", its a concept of weaving motion use in context of other concepts/principles like zoning and positioning (which would give you your footwork you mentioned). The flow drills are just one way to practice the concept.

That's fine with me you don't have to get so offended because I call it "an exercise". All what I was saying is Sinawali should be practiced moving around. This post is to give beginners the idea. Not for people like you to go on and correct things like you know it all. That's all I got to say!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense taken, as a matter of fact I agree with you on practicing mobility and footwork while doing siniwali practice. I was just expanding on it. The term "exercise" wasn't entirely directed toward you, I have seen some clubs that have turned siniwali into a form of cariovasular routine and lost the fighting/technical aspect. I offer my opinion so that others may agree or disagree. As far as "knowing it all".. I definately do not know it all, but it may sound that way to the few that lack basic verbal communication skills.

Latest Discussions