What a find!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was at an old pawn shop. The owners, who lost their FFL a while back, had a bunch of parts, grips, scope mounts, and..... 4 M1 Carbine 30 round mags.

Well the mags were a bit rusty, but the insides looked real good. Of course I knew there are fake 30 rounders but these were real sturdy, much more sturdier than most of the ones I've handled, and they felt kind of heavy.

So, when I asked how much, they said, $10 each. I bought all 4, no tax. $40 flat.

Got home late, so I took one of them apart and did a real good clean job with 'gun scrubber' and break-free. Re-assembled and loaded 30 rounds. The rounds went in just slick as can be. Real smooth. Fit in the carbine perfectly, like it was made for it (my carbine has a M2 catch.)

Well the mags had marks on the back. One had K1 M2 (with the K1 over the M2) and was made by Inland. The other three had SEY (Seymour Products). And the iceing on the cake.... ALL FOUR WERE HARD-BACKS. That means, first production during WW2. And no known fakes of hard-backs were made! Hard-backs have no split in the back where it curves and the strenghening groves follow the mag down the sides. And that is why they felt a bit heavier.

I'll do some range work this weekend, for sure! I'm not a huge fan of 30 rounders for a Carbine, but for ten bucks each, I'll become one.

Deaf

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forget shooting prone, but other than that, awesome find!

Why it's a monopod Andy! Maybe I'll put one of those rubber dust covers they sell for the carbine mags on the bottom end and use it as a monopod!

But no doubt your right Andy. That's also why I never cared for the 30 round AR and AK mags. Just stick to far down, and if I was to shoot for blood, I'd most likely hit the deck!

Deaf

Latest Discussions