Western Styles List

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Check out this list of western martial art styles! If you Have any Ideas, requests,or additions, Just Post them on this thread and I'll put them in as soon as possible.:) :asian:

America
American Freestyle Karate
Koo Self Defense
Mu Tau
American Boxing
Catch-as-Can wrestling
Brazil
Brazilian Jujitsu
Taiyando
Capoeira
Batuque
Makulele
Luta Livre
Panmo
Lucha Libre
France
Savate
Guam
San Jitsu
Hawaii
Kajukenbo
Lima Lama
Lua
India
Gatka
Shaolin Chuan Fa
Israel
Krav Maga
Algeria
El Matreg
Angola
Basula
Gabetula
N’golo
Njinga
Congo
Gwindulumutu
Kipura
Egypt
Kemet Mariama
Kuta/Hikuta
Naboot
Sebekkha
Tahteeb
Eritrea
Testa
Ethiopia
Donga Stick Fighting
Dula Maketa
Re Efi Areh Ehsee
Gambia
Borreh
Ghana
Naban
Morocco
Maratabeen
Nigeria
Dambe
Gidigbo
Igba Magba
Korokoro
Senegal
Beri
Bore
Dioula
Laamb
N’oboro
Olva
South Africa
Impi/Zulu Impi
Musangawa
Sudan
Nuba Stick Fighting
Toubata
Suriname
Sousa
Togo
Evala
Zvaha
Australia
Koonomon Yogip Baip
Pou Taiaha
New Zealand
Mau
Mau Rakau
Pahi a Mau Mau
Tueiatanga
Italy
Arte Del abbracciare
Arte Della Daga
Bastone
S’istrumpa
Cimento
Novascrimia
Pugilatis cestis
Scherma
Giocco Stretto
Presse Marozzo
Venezuela
Garrote Larrense
Sanjal
Broma
Argentina
Esgrima Criolla
Greece
Pankration
Austria
Schwingen
Germany
Dolchfechtan
Ringen am Schwert
Kampfringen
Worstel-Kon
England
Cornish Wrestling

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Western" styles?

I'm thinking of Americas (North/south/central), I'm not thinking of Europe.

Savate is French (I think), Krav Magra was made by a Czeclaslavacian (sp) guy for the Isreali Military, if I'm not mistaken. I thought Lima-lima was associated with Filipino styles.

I don't know...just curious.

:cool:

OP
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Correct! Hawaiian to be specific.

OP
K

KickingDago

there are martial arts styles that can be called americans.
Most of these styles have somehow of a foreign influence, in the southern states for example there were alot fo capoeira-like forms imported from the african slaves and the creol people
some of these are:

- trip and flip (or leg wrestling)
- Jailhouse rock ( more research must be done on this one)
- kalenda

some claim to have knowledge in native american martial arts system but personally i'm still scheptical about the nature of these system, i interviewed some cherokee in oklahoma, non of them knew what i was talking about. Don't forget there are also hundreds of japanese, korean, chinese, european-american martial arts and weapon systems ..technically I'd even called Jeet kune do an american style, bruce lee was chinese but he did codify this system in usa, and the same goes for "kupikana ngumi and Mishindi Vita saana which are african-american martial arts. Furthermore there are some north american fighting systems with weapons using the bowie knife or the "arkansas toothpick, and what about military systems like "americam combatives? There is alot of research to be done on the subject but i'm sure there are alot of fighting systems in usa I'll see if i can hook you guys up with some links :)

OP
G

GouRonin

This style is also known as "51 Hands" based on the hand use of the art.

OP
K

KickingDago

Originally posted by GouRonin

This style is also known as "51 Hands" based on the hand use of the art.

yes and If I remember correctly there are difference between the west coast jailhouse (51 hands) and the east coast one. I tella ya researching the roots of certain styles can get frustrating sometimes

OP
G

GouRonin

The problem is that the guys practicing this style are usually IN jail. Ha! Which makes them only slightly less reputable that most regular martial artists.

OP
K

KickingDago

Originally posted by GouRonin

The problem is that the guys practicing this style are usually IN jail. Ha! Which makes them only slightly less reputable that most regular martial artists.

lol imagine a jail dojo?

OP
G

GouRonin

As far as I know people in jail are not allowed to practice martial arts.

I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen.

OP
K

KickingDago

well let's be realistic, how much martial arts can really help you in jail? You might knock someone out one day, and get stabbed the day after out of nowhere, nobody is going to give you a break in jail just because you know martial arts, actually the complete opposite. Plus have you seen the size of some of these deteinees? the only way to knock these people out is with a semi.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Hey, this may be an impossible question to answer, but do you know of any schools of Savate in Canada? I've been interested in it for years, but I've never found any schools from the style. Ever.

Any help would be nice... if nothing else, a place where I can look it up and learn a bit about the style would be nice!

Thanks!

Cliarlaoch

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might check at JKD schools--they often do either some Muay Thai or some Savate.

You might also ask at the Yahoo! forum linked from here.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By todays standards the styles listed are considered traditional. With all of the new systems coming up the list would never be complete. The question is what qualifies a new system. Theres no question whether some are created for financial gains but the theres no doubt that a lot are effective and its not fair to put an effective modern system with a traditional system that dosen't recognize it. I praise you for tryin".

OP
A

A.R.K.

As far as I know people in jail are not allowed to practice martial arts.

Actually the truth is exactly the opposite. We cannot stop them by rule or prevent them in practice. We can step in if it gets out of hand such as takedowns, ground fighting etc for their own safety but otherwise no. They teach each other how to box for example. But far worse than that they teach other disarming techniques i.e. how to disarm a police officer. They teach each other how to prevent searches or cuffing. In my D.T. class that I teach to Police/Corrections recruits in the Academy I show a film of prisoners in D.O.C. teaching each other edged weapon techniques using tooth brushes.

The Bg's of today have far more access to techniques & tactics than at anytime in the past. Not all inmates participate in these 'training' sessions, but it is a dangerous minority.

I recall specifically two instances of trained professionals. First was a W/M who fought a B/M in the dayroom of a pod. The W/M happened to be a semi-pro boxer on the outside. The B/M looked afterwards like he had a bat taken to his face. Second, a very small A/M took on 6 other I/M's in the pod who were trying to muscle him out of his meal. Officers responding said the A/M took out all 6 within seconds and then simply went into his cell and laid down to take a nap. They said it was the darndest thing they ever saw :D

I have some systems for your list;

America -
Way no Michi Ryu
Dean Moo Kwon Do
Zhao Dai Wei

Russia -
Agni Kempo

Iran -
Agni kickboxing

Take care.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my D.T. class that I teach to Police/Corrections recruits in the Academy I show a film of prisoners in D.O.C. teaching each other edged weapon techniques using tooth brushes.

I've worked with LEO on occasion as well, and I've seen the police training video your refering to ("Surviving edged weapons," or something like that). Anyways, I distinctly remember that the people practicing the knife techniques w/ the toothbrush also had look-outs for guards, as they were attempting to practice in "secret." This makes me think that there is a line that is drawn for MA training. I might be able to practice forms, for instance, but I would think if I were to practice knife partner work (like in FMA), then I might get in trouble if I were in jail. There is still that element of "Threat" that allows an officer to stop a bahavior if it threatens, or could lead to potential harm. The element of "threat" is the reason why I can't walk down the street with a shot gun on my shoulder, even though it's not concealed, and I'm not pointing it at anyone.

Anyways, I'm not a LEO, so I don't know for sure, and I haven't really had the opportunity to ask a LEO recently. I am just having doubts about the scope of their practice. Maybe it's different in different states, but I know that in Michigan that this element of threat might be a limitation. What do you think?

:cool: