Western Boxing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Hey everyone, I just thought I should start a boxing thread. Even though it is a sport, i consider it a martial art as well. Any tips , tricks, or comments?:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

While Boxing is a sport it is also one of the earliest european and western martial arts.

it was not uncommon for men to settle disputes with it. Nor to see travelling shows that offered boxing to people for money.

Many military people do it get an all around base with their H2H and often, due to it's need in the early west and in the rough european world it was developed into a very neasty science. The advent of prison programs in which boxing was introduced also further developed it.

OP
B

bscastro

Boxing is a big element in my JKD class. I enjoy hitting the pads, heavy bag, and sparring. It is great cardiovascular training as well.

Cheers,
Bryan

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

JKD, do they practice straight boxing? or they practice with kicks? I was wondering , does JKD stay true to the boxing practice drills? or are they modified??:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

"the boxing practice drills"
What boxing practice drills are these?

in my class we do all kinds of sparring, some of it with kicks some without. But we don't train as ring fighters (though we usualy fight with 16 oz boxing gloves) rules are desided on by the fighters (genneraly) and genneraly no one cares if you break a rule.. The only rule that no one breaks is no kicks above the knees when opponant doens't have a cup (anotherone is no hits to the head if opponant desn't have a mouth guard.. but more accidents happen there). But as far as small rules in boxing like stepping on feet and the limitations on standing grappaling.. usualy we don't fight with them.. There's just the genneral understanding that if you do something cheap it's gona come right back at you.

OP
B

bscastro

I think each instructor might be different in their focus depending on their training, but my instructor does train us in western boxing but also modifying some of the techniques for self-defense and as part of Thai boxing and Jun Fan kickboxing. So it is a mix for how he trains the boxing element. He did amateur boxing, so he shares his knowledge in that area.

Bryan :)

OP
S

Stickgrappler

hello,

thanks sweeper, you beat me to it :)

ThuNder_FoOt, i hope it helps. there is plenty of boxing info on my kick/boxing page.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Thanks for the input everyone. I will definately check Stickgrappler's website, as I have only heard good things about his site.

For anyone that didn't understand my question, I meant in reference to the drills practiced. Most boxing drills have you respond to someone who will be throwing boxing combinations, or mainly dealing with close quarters combat. Some are best used in the ring because of the specific conditions. As with anything, they can be adapted to different situations.... I was just wondering, in what manner are they are practiced. I was speaking in general terms, of course.:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

in that case we do genneral boxing type drills as well as hybrid drills.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by ThuNder_FoOt

Hey everyone, I just thought I should start a boxing thread. Even though it is a sport, i consider it a martial art as well. Any tips , tricks, or comments?:asian:
Sport boxing makes people reckless and leave openings, just like any sport martial art.

However, boxing does give you a good idea on combos and a good idea on distance judging for punches. It is also good for a beginner because he starts using more advanced footwork.

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by MartialArtist

Sport boxing makes people reckless and leave openings, just like any sport martial art.

However, boxing does give you a good idea on combos and a good idea on distance judging for punches. It is also good for a beginner because he starts using more advanced footwork.

I have to disagree. I think boxing is a good supplement to any martial artist. It is not complete, but it teaches great body mechanics for upper body striking and actual sparring with contact teaches you many things, including timing, distance, how to take a punch, defending against punches, footwork, and conditioning.

How does boxing make people reckless? And how do other sport martial arts (I'm assuming you are referring to things like thai boxing, BJJ, Judo, and wrestling) make you reckless? As for leaving openings, I think all martial arts "systems" have their strengths and weaknesses.

Bryan

OP
G

GouRonin

Please...Most boxers would kill most martial artists. It's a given. It's funny how "sports" such as Boxing and Judo easily dominate these other arts which propose themselves to be self-defense. It's because of the training methods. So if you have sports which are more realistic than these arts I think that says something.
:asian:

OP
T

tmanifold

Most Boxers would kill most martial artists but boxing would leave openings and create at best a incomplete system. That distinction is not made enough.

Tony

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How is it possible that most boxers would kill most MArtists? Boxers leave their lower bodies wide open!!! Any MA practitioner who is semi conscious would know NOT to duel a slug fest with a boxer and instead go for his weak point. KICKS!!!!

OP
T

tmanifold

Originally posted by KennethKu

How is it possible that most boxers would kill most MArtists? Boxers leave their lower bodies wide open!!! Any MA practitioner who is semi conscious would know NOT to duel a slug fest with a boxer and instead go for his weak point. KICKS!!!!

You totally, completely, and utterly missed the point of my post. You are saying boxing leaves a fighters lower body wide open. I am saying boxers are tough, are used to getting hit, train against unco-operative opponents and hit really hard. Quite frankly, most MArtists don't train that way.

tony

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose we are talking about different groups of MArtists. Most that I know of, would take most boxers down in one kick.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by KennethKu
I suppose we are talking about different groups of MArtists. Most that I know of, would take most boxers down in one kick.

You're a dope. Boxers have some of the best footwork of any martial artists and sport athletes. You're delusional if you think they're even going to be there when your kick is launched. They also have good perception of range etc because they use it. They can move in and nullify your kick or remove themselves from it. I'm not saying it's the best martial art but I am saying that even as a sport it is more effective than many martial arts. Hell, most kickboxers only launch the required 8 kicks per round then delve right into punching. That is why they made the minimum 8 kicks per round. Because Boxers were coming in and eating people up. In the stand up game they're near the top of the list whether you like it or not.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

You're a dope. Boxers have some of the best footwork of any martial artists and sport athletes. You're delusional if you think they're even going to be there when your kick is launched. They also have good perception of range etc because they use it. They can move in and nullify your kick or remove themselves from it. I'm not saying it's the best martial art but I am saying that even as a sport it is more effective than many martial arts. Hell, most kickboxers only launch the required 8 kicks per round then delve right into punching. That is why they made the minimum 8 kicks per round. Because Boxers were coming in and eating people up. In the stand up game they're near the top of the list whether you like it or not.

"....You're delusional if you think they're even going to be there when your kick is launched. They also have good perception of range etc because they use it. They can move in and nullify your kick or remove themselves from it....."

and what makes you think the MArtists don't already know and proficient at this too? Even the color belts know about this basic stuff!! Like I said , we must be talking about different groups of MArtists.

A boxer is a lousy fighter but a good athlete. That is beyond debate. It is all too obvious. You have to be brain dead NOT to attack the groin, the knees . Any competent MArtist can kick the living day light out of most boxers. I don't even know why I have to explain this.

OP
H

Hansson

I trained boxing for four years. Our training sessions were maybe 40% sparring, 30% working on techniques and combinations and 30% cardio and strength. Offseason - more cardio and strength, competition season - more sparring.

I think boxing is great allround training. You get speed, strength and excellent endurance - sparring is so much tougher than it looks, partly because of the full power bodyshots.

And just like in any martial art, the only way to get good is to spar a lot... no pads or sacks make you a good boxer! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.