Western 10th Degrees. Fake or legit?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
1)[font=&quot] [/font]All just need to remember one thing. This is the 21st century. Not Old Nipon of Japan or China.

2)[font=&quot] [/font]Titles are to show levels of training. In American Schools Rank Belts Are to Show levels of training. If we go back to old ways there were no "Yellow, Orangw Brown..etc...

3)[font=&quot] [/font]There was a White Canvas Belt to hold your uniform closed .. (Because they didn't all have the Neat ties that the ones we buy now have).. And when your instructor was done with you...

4)[font=&quot] [/font]After so long of training your belt was soiled and dark. You were then given Instructor rank... AKA; Black Belt or Black Sash depending on your style.

Schools in America mostly use the Japanese titles to help with rank notation. I mean if you have a 1st black belt and don't teach full time.

5)[font=&quot] [/font]They started using Sempai instead of Asst. Insrtuctor.

6)[font=&quot] [/font]It was easier. Then Sensei, Renshi and I have even heard Dai-Sensei, Shihan, Hanshi... and so on. I trained with two great men Kyoshi Robert Austin and Sensei Robert Koch and they teach American Kenpo. IKKA / AKKI and they use the Japanese titles. It is their choice.

7)[font=&quot] [/font]Also I would in this end of the world rather be called Soke Calkins instead of Grand Master or Master Calkins. I think that just sounds to pretentious and puts an air of Servatude to the art. I dont want to be called MASTER... Students are not Slaves.

8)[font=&quot] [/font]"Soke" when in old days an insturctor began a new system he was Head of his Family and that was who he basicly taught his are to so SOKE was the Head of Family. In america we teach to the masses. and not just family. (Eventhough I look to my students like Family and Close friends.) So in my Dojo I am "Head Of Family"

1)[font=&quot] [/font]And what is your point for telling us the obvious?

2)[font=&quot] [/font]How far you wanna go back? We can go back to when there was no rank at all if you want.

3)[font=&quot] [/font]I’ll do you one better…..there were no white canvas belts to hold uniforms closed because people trained in their clothes.

4)[font=&quot] [/font]You watch too much “Kung Fu Theater”.

5)[font=&quot] [/font]Sempai doesn’t mean assistant instructor.

6)[font=&quot] [/font]Again your use of the language is wrong.

7)[font=&quot] [/font]Hahahaha……your kidding right?

8)[font=&quot] [/font]No they weren’t. Again your lack of knowledge about the language, culture and customs is obvious.

In an email to me you whined about something and mentioned how you had been to Japan. In my reply I asked you if you trained here, and if so then with whom did you train and for how long. You never replied. Care to answer now? Or send it to me via email?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mr Calkin

Did you ever hear of quitting while you are still ahead
1.) Old Nippon of Japan is a tad redundant
2.) Skill shows level of training titles are ego (yes, mine included)
3.) The okinwans did not use the Gi, the pechuin probably dressed a tad fancier. and the ties have always been there
4.) The dirty belt thing has been so busted
5.) Do you know what Sempai means really
6.) Yea
7.) Well,it nice that you want to come off as pretentious
8.) See ythe opening line
Btw how old are you now??

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is so funny that every one thinks my history and information is so fake. I can point out 20-30 dojos that have Sempai as Assistant Instrucotr. (WHAT EVER THE TRUE JAPANESE TRANSLATION IS>>>) No body cares. I went to Japan and worked out in some school there I don't conciser it training because It was very short. Also the Belt "THEROY" I love hearing from the Mister Know it alls.... I have worked with many masters that have varafied this to me. First the GI... Is not an american invention. it is based on the Japanese Clothing. and the Kung-fu uniform was held with a canvas sash. The Students and People of those times used it to cary their items. I did Just the fancy colors of today I said were made because we don't do the Outside training the Dirty theroy has been confermed for years. Even Angi Uzau confermed it do you want to doubt this master.... I think not. Even the Japanese Expert that thinks he knows everything. This time you have made a mistake Live with it. Not all History you think is right is right. The History I have mentioned is not written in Books but I learned it from people that lived it.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
It is so funny that every one thinks my history and information is so fake. I can point out 20-30 dojos that have Sempai as Assistant Instrucotr.

I don't know if americans have this saying that we have here in Finland: 50 million flies can't be wrong, **** must be good. In this case, so what if they are using it like that, it still doesn't mean that they're correct

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TimoS said:
I don't know if americans have this saying that we have here in Finland: 50 million flies can't be wrong, **** must be good. In this case, so what if they are using it like that, it still doesn't mean that they're correct
Timo... not verbatim, but pretty darn close...

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
People,
Anyone can say anything. Anyone can get others to agree with them.
It don't mean squat.

Mr. Calkins has stated that he'll use whatever words he wants to. I wish him pepsi in his cola journey. He has obviously optimused the very starscream of myscms-snarks.

Wait, that doesn't make sence, but damn it it means what I and my buddys want it to. Naaaaa if you don't like it.

I'm gonna go study Kungate now. Kaiths new system sounds to be at least as legit as these soapys stuff.

Bester

Reaction score
One other thing Calkins - SPELLCHECK!
Theres a plugin for Firefox that will do this, theres a thread in the support forum that has info on a plugin for IE, hell even an idiot can figure out how to use the spell checker in their email program and do a copy-paste-check-copy-paste. Sheesh.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
It is so funny that every one thinks my history and information is so fake. I can point out 20-30 dojos that have Sempai as Assistant Instrucotr.
Yes by the time you make it to the Sempai staus you should be able to help around the school. However Semapi does not mean Asst. Instructor

(WHAT EVER THE TRUE JAPANESE TRANSLATION IS>>>) No body cares.
For a guy with your experience and exposure to the arts, it's ind of funny you don't know the translation, even more prospectous is that you don't care

I went to Japan and worked out in some school there I don't conciser it training because It was very short.
Kinda like your training in the states?

Also the Belt "THEROY" I love hearing from the Mister Know it alls.... I have worked with many masters that have varafied this to me. First the GI... Is not an american invention. it is based on the Japanese Clothing. and the Kung-fu uniform was held with a canvas sash.
What is "Theroy"

The Students and People of those times used it to cary their items.
Like their car keys, maybe

I did Just the fancy colors of today I said were made because we don't do the Outside training the Dirty theroy has been confermed for years. Even Angi Uzau confermed it do you want to doubt this master.... I think not. Even the Japanese Expert that thinks he knows everything.
Actually before you get up on your high horse the belt colors were adopted from judo, which were implemented by Jigaro kano (The founder of Judo BTW)-who took the idea from college sports
This time you have made a mistake Live with it. Not all History you think is right is right. The History I have mentioned is not written in Books but I learned it from people that lived it.
Crap too late, Well you sure told the Living in japan, guy with a clear lineage a thing or too..

Seriously, stop. Your self serving sermons of disinformation do not make you look knowledgable, sincere, honest or humble.

Bester

Reaction score
Here is an idea:

Name names, cite sources, and list dates.
Please note: The following are not considered valid sources as they have been disproven repeatedly:
- Ashida Kim - Real Name Chris Hunter, white guy who fabricated his history.
- Rick Tew - Power Ranger Wannabe
- Frank Dux - His history has been proven to be litle more than a Hollywood Fantasy.
- HaHa Lung - Another Fiction writer playing Ninja.
- Anyone associated with the above.

Here is your chance to shut us all up. Educate us. Cite your sources. But be prepared to have holes blown into your fantasy world but those of us who have walked where you only read.

It sucks when your childhood fantasies are proven wrong, but we all have to grow up and face reality someday.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually....I like this.
Cite your sources. Anyone can say something. Lets see the background materials that formed your foundation of belief.

Oh, and please, don't say "I can't remember the name of the book". If it's that important it formed that big a foundation to your beliefs, you'll remember it or be able to figure it out.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Actually....I like this.
Cite your sources. Anyone can say something. Lets see the background materials that formed your foundation of belief.
I like that... simple, yet effective.

Kaith Rustaz said:
Oh, and please, don't say "I can't remember the name of the book". If it's that important it formed that big a foundation to your beliefs, you'll remember it or be able to figure it out.
*ouch* That's gonna leave a skid mark some Underoos...

Bester

Reaction score
CLFSEAN - I would expect so. Hard enough for some folks to remember if it was grand sensei MacAngus or High Lord Grandmaster MacAdder who gave you the OfficeMax special cert. Now they are going to have to remember a book they read the back of 30 years ago. God, this alone will cause all sort of problems.

I wonder how many "dead" guys will be referenced?

Bester

Reaction score
AKJA - And? You just complaining or you expect someone to do something about it? Here, let me ding you for whining about a ding and disrupting a thread about ding-a-lings.

Ding Ding!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Calkins once again you impress me with your lack of knowledge. You still seem to avoid the questions asked of you on other posts and yet you feel the need to post on this topic. Pretty fitting seeing that you promoted yourself to 10th dan. I would also like to know when you studied in Japan and under who? But that will be another question left unanswered by you I am sure. Being a "Soke" I would hope that you would know the meaning of sempai also spelled senpai sometimes. My fellow friends correct me if I am wrong but in most circles it refers to a senior. Obviously Mr. Calkins your extensive studies did not include the study of titles and when they are used in your research or you would not call yourself by your proclaimed title of "Soke". The Japanese find it extremley disrespectful for a person to address themselves with their own title. Also the Okinawans did not use a formal gi and obi (belt) system. Their training was mostly done in their undergarments so that the instructor could study muscle definition while katas were done. Look at some of the old pictures of Miyagi Sensei training.

Now to the question of American 10th dans. Just look at some of the posts we have had with a self-proclaimed 10th dan and that should answer the question pretty well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Mr.Calkins once again you impress me with your lack of knowledge. You still seem to avoid the questions asked of you on other posts and yet you feel the need to post on this topic. Pretty fitting seeing that you promoted yourself to 10th dan. I would also like to know when you studied in Japan and under who? But that will be another question left unanswered by you I am sure. Being a "Soke" I would hope that you would know the meaning of sempai also spelled senpai sometimes. My fellow friends correct me if I am wrong but in most circles it refers to a senior. Obviously Mr. Calkins your extensive studies did not include the study of titles and when they are used in your research or you would not call yourself by your proclaimed title of "Soke". The Japanese find it extremley disrespectful for a person to address themselves with their own title. Also the Okinawans did not use a formal gi and obi (belt) system. Their training was mostly done in their undergarments so that the instructor could study muscle definition while katas were done. Look at some of the old pictures of Miyagi Sensei training.

Now to the question of American 10th dans. Just look at some of the posts we have had with a self-proclaimed 10th dan and that should answer the question pretty well.
He shoots ... HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of ironic. the few that proclaim thier humbleness (in relation to their exalted status) and include the phrase "I'm eternal student" when confronted by wiser, more experienced, people closer to the source or even just by sheer numbers-revert to the idea that I know more than all you guys !!

Latest Discussions