Weigh in on Weight Training

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is 7day plan. Daily 20min minimum.
Strength-Conditioning-Power-Conditioning-Strength-Optional-Rest
Optional is either rest or another conditioning day or just go play game like soccer.Next week switch strength with power.

Dumbell is good since it allows you to train your non dominant side more.
There are 3 types of movement snatch, swing and press, each has bunch of variations.

If you are first timer with weights than going to 12 rep is ok for about 6months. 8-12 reps is more favorite for bodybuilders. Try 90% weight of your repetition maximum with 5 reps, you might need bit of longer rests between sets (3min). Why all your strength training is for arms?

For power various plyometrics exercises, like throw dumbell (or stone, medicine ball), clap or triple clap pushups. Key concept is to do these exercises at high speed so you can't have maximum resistance, and rep range can still be 1-6.

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't use weights entirely for martial arts training. I am, however, mindful of how certain movements/ methods will affect/ benefit my martial arts routine.

I try to keep in mind, as some have already mentioned, the agonist/ antagonist muscle principles, as well as the proportion of muscle effort (triceps being 2/3 of the arm's strength). I only have so much time a week, so I generally like to hit it about 4 times.

I'm a big fan of circuit training (going from one exercise into the next). While I like to occasionally work for absolute strength, I most of the time do medium weight with medium/high reps.

I'll hit abs/obliques/low back w/every workout and finish it off w/ 20-30 minutes of cardio. Dumbells, as a whole, seem to work best for me because of the freedom of range.

Just my thoughts,
Spartan

UrBaN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try kettlebells.
They are martial arts specific, because they require the whole body to work as a unit.

Weight training will benefit every martial art.

Just train smart.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted a similar question over on FMA Talk, but the effects of misusing weights seem more problematic in Wing Tsun than in FMA's. What would you tell a Wing Chun/Tsun student who wanted to train with weights? Is there a right way to do it, or like my old Si-fu insisted, is it something to be avoided altogether?

Now why would one actually want to become stronger? It only helps the overall conditioning and abilities.

Just because one gets stronger doesn't mean they become less flexiable or slower. I and many of those who train with me have done weight training for years. I can bench 350 lbs and military press 300. I leg press 635 working 3 sets of 8-10 reps. As to being flexible I can easily touch my elbows together and can do full splits. I am not bulked like a body builder nor are the others training with me. We also do a lot of plyometric and explosive type of training giving the lats and tricepts a lot of work.

At 53 years of age weight training has been a great way to keep my body strong, fit, and youthful.

barnaby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
elbows in, go slow, and keep your chi-gong strong and you should be fine is my take.

Latest Discussions