Website on Katanas

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not even a tiny part of many people's sword training.
This is truth. It is just another tool in the box to learn specific things, and those things will vary depending upon the school. Learning to actually cut a target is pretty simple. It's much harder to learn how to properly swing the sword than it is to actually learn to cut something.
I actually had this same discussion a number of years ago with Daniel Watson of Angel Sword. He was super excited about how he made a better sword than the Japanese because he was able to cut 13 (or 15?) targets all at once with it. Of course, it was a giant sword that had nothing to do with Japanese swordsmanship, but I just couldn't make him understand that his great news really didn't interest the Japanese sword art community at all. :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to chuckle at movies like The Hobbit, where the dwarves are carrying axes with massive heads. They look like they would weigh in at 40 pounds or more. Nobody could fight with such a thing. It is rediculous.
And that's why they're called fantasy movies. After all, its no more ridiculous than being able to shoot fire and lightning from your hands like Gandolf. Again, its fantasy.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Iaitos and machetes are two different things. Comparing them would be apples and oranges. Even the best iaito will not perform like a machete and vice versa. I really don't see the need for an iaito to be super high quality since it'snot used for cutting or for any contact drills but I will talk to my instructor about this.

But they are not different. They are just different tools. Having used both on a daily basis I can attest to that.

My partner is outside right now using one. A single mistake and she will lose a finger. (pic below) But she has used one for 20 years.

To put it simply if one uses sharp pointy things unless they have 'experience', especially when you are expected to perform precise action is things like Iaido/Batto. You need to learn a lot before choosing.

Part of sword arts is tameshigiri that tests both user skill and weapons by cutting things. Even Iaido ryu do this occasionally.

Add to that the precise weight and length you yourself will grow into is as yet an unknown quantity. That is why some delay buying a real blade until they reach YONDAN. Not shodan, "yondan".

Take it from someone who has been using Japanese swords for fifty-one years now including 'specialized' lengths and weights of weapons. I have seen accidents, seen blades snap and fly. But thankfully not in my dojo as I control who uses what.
SAM_2386.JPG

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet he has half a mat. Against what is apparently impossible odds. Wrong tool wrong technique.

Right result.
So, if I go into an MMA match, and proceed to "win" the match by knocking my opponent out in the locker room with a stool... I've won, right? Or if I walk in, wave a $1000 bill and tell my opponent it's his if he submits, and he flops down and submits as we touch gloves -- I've won, right? Right result, wrong tool... but it doesn't matter.

Not really. It matters. If the goal is simply to cut a mat in half, there are lots of tools that will do the job efficiently, many of which are much cheaper than a quality shinken. But if the goal is to use a Japanese sword to cut efficiently, as demonstrated by cutting a mat, you need the right implement, with the proper technique.

I really have to wonder if you're being deliberately obtuse about this, or if you've been taking too many shots to the head, or if you are just trolling...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, if I go into an MMA match, and proceed to "win" the match by knocking my opponent out in the locker room with a stool... I've won, right? Or if I walk in, wave a $1000 bill and tell my opponent it's his if he submits, and he flops down and submits as we touch gloves -- I've won, right? Right result, wrong tool... but it doesn't matter.

Not really. It matters. If the goal is simply to cut a mat in half, there are lots of tools that will do the job efficiently, many of which are much cheaper than a quality shinken. But if the goal is to use a Japanese sword to cut efficiently, as demonstrated by cutting a mat, you need the right implement, with the proper technique.

I really have to wonder if you're being deliberately obtuse about this, or if you've been taking too many shots to the head, or if you are just trolling...

You example doesnt aply. What we have here is more like the equivalent of not being able to box without a set of cleto's. And not just any cleto's but specific gloves that can only your instructor can provide. Because the techique is so precise that any tool will mess you up.

We have moved well beyond just getting the right tool and method for the job.

And we can tell this because the information that is noticeably missing from this conversation. is any actual information on the right tool for the right job. And it is obvious by the lack of information given out on this subject that it has very little to do with effective cutting.

There is no starter sword for cutting. Yet there is starter equipment that can be recomended as reasonable for every other physical skill. Why do you think that is?

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps because... as has been repeated to you ad nauseum, "cutting" is not an activity which needs "starter equipment"???

I'm just going to assume at this point that you are in fact trolling, and leave you to it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps because... as has been repeated to you ad nauseum, "cutting" is not an activity which needs "starter equipment"???

I'm just going to assume at this point that you are in fact trolling, and leave you to it.

There is no suitable equipment. You don't think that is kind of strange?

This is not a normal discussion.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is no suitable equipment. You don't think that is kind of strange?

This is not a normal discussion.

There is no suitable equipment for what?

The OP has received extensive advice regarding equipment. I have provided links to two reputable suppliers.

Do you mean there is no suitable equipment for cutting? Well, there is - Hyoho posted a picture of some above. It just has almost nothing to do with swordsmanship - and therefore this thread.

You are correct - this is not a normal discussion. Most normal discussions are coherent and logical. It becomes difficult when the ability of some parties to comprehend the language seems to be limited.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christ... you train the way the art says because you want to train the art. You really can't get that?

You could post that on a few current threads at the moment, though some won't get that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You example doesnt aply. What we have here is more like the equivalent of not being able to box without a set of cleto's. And not just any cleto's but specific gloves that can only your instructor can provide. Because the techique is so precise that any tool will mess you up.
Not really. That analogy assumes they cannot cut without the shinken their instructor recommends (not provides - a different thing). Sword arts are apparently pretty specific and detailed in their differences. I would assume a different shinken - even one that is of good quality - might be ill-suited to a particular style for some reasons. I'd liken it to firearm training. If the instructor is teaching how to effectively fire a lever-action rifle, and you have a bolt-action rifle, you're in the wrong class (or just brought the wrong tool). Again, since the tradition, itself, is part of the reason people train these styles, continuing that tradition seems an important factor.

If someone wanted to teach a generic Japanese swordsmanship class, just focused on drawing the blade and cutting things, that would be a different matter. They'd still need to make sure they were using a quality tool that won't fall apart and has a reasonably proper balance, etc., but they would have a wider range to choose from. Heck, they might even find some modernizations that would fit well with that idea, and might be interested in evolving both the weapon and the usage. I'm not sure why anyone would be much interested in that, though, since it wouldn't actually be more practical than the traditional styles, since none of us are allowed to carry those swords, anyway.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone would be much interested in that, though, since it wouldn't actually be more practical than the traditional styles, since none of us are allowed to carry those swords, anyway.
That depends. In some places you can carry swords as long as you don't brandish them. You're from NC, maybe in NC you can't carry swords but in other states you can.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends. In some places you can carry swords as long as you don't brandish them. You're from NC, maybe in NC you can't carry swords but in other states you can.
I should have said they're not legal for use. I'm not sure where you would or wouldn't be able to carry them, but I think they're not legal weapons. I may be wrong in that, in which case, I need sword training.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should have said they're not legal for use. I'm not sure where you would or wouldn't be able to carry them, but I think they're not legal weapons. I may be wrong in that, in which case, I need sword training.
I do know in Louisiana you can carry swords as long as you don't brandish them. I was in New Orleans and there was somebody on the street dressed in a medieval costume. This was New Orleans and its not uncommon to see stuff like that there. He had a real sword strapped to his side and he explained that as long as you keep it sheathed, don't brandish it, than it shouldn't be a problem. Also, supposedly in NY you can wear a sword as well as long as its not concealed. You will get lots of funny looks but if its not concealed than its not a problem.