Wearing a ring during a fight.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a couple of examples of some bronze rings designed for fighting that were estimated to be over 2,000 yrs old, so fighting with rings on is not a new experience. Both rings were small and the ‘decoration’ was a pyramid of bronze squares ending is a small square.

When I was younger it was common to wear one or two large rings. Instead of punching with them we would turn them so that the face of the ring was inside on the palm side of the finger. A deliberate slap across the forehead to cause blood running into eyes was the most common seen tactic with a second favorite going for the ears and trying to take chunks out of them.

Today I advise my friends and students especially females that when they are getting that gut feeling that something is not right to turn the rings as they are leaving the area. It can be done usually with the same hand thumb and not usually noticeable. It helps to hide valuables and turns what is an instinctive response (slapping) into a more effective tool.

Brian King

Amen - Slapping someone has a bad effect on them, they are not expecting it, takes most by complete surprise and then it's up to you what to do next, get out, commence the butt whooping or maybe it just ends there.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the choice, no I wouldn't. I don't want to risk damaging the ring. As has been mentioned, most rings are worn on a finger that is not condusive to doing damage to an opponent. Since I wear my wedding ring for a very different purpose that to look for a fight, it's not a though in my mind.

I take my ring off during class because I don't want to damage it.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree completely with Grenadier and chinto--the fact that we, as martial artists, are trained to strike with our largest two knuckles would likely negate any effect that a ring may have, with the exception of those with fairly large protrusions, such as gemstones and decorative features. Personally, I find that such rings that may be effective as weapons would be highly uncomfortable, both to simply wear as well as to employ as a weapon. I would much rather stick with my natural weapons--punches, elbows, kicks, knees, etc--if i were unable to obtain a weapon such as a stick or a knife. I have heard of women turning their diamond rings around so as to utilize the stone when slapping which, due to the softer nature of the flesh on the palm-side of the hand, would perhaps be more practical.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Question here is pretty simple. Would wearing a ring during a fist fight do more damage to your opponent or to you. Would you end up hurting your hand more then hurting the opponent's face? Also this is not an "in theory" type question. Is there anyone out there who has punched someone in the face for real, wearing a ring?

Thanks
-Mike

Though I don't usually wear jewelry, I would and have done so in the past.

Fabio

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Given the choice, no I wouldn't. I don't want to risk damaging the ring. As has been mentioned, most rings are worn on a finger that is not condusive to doing damage to an opponent. Since I wear my wedding ring for a very different purpose that to look for a fight, it's not a though in my mind.

I take my ring off during class because I don't want to damage it.

My instructor is pretty strict when it comes to any kind of jewelry in class. I still think you can cause more damage to yourself than others when wearing a ring, principally if it is just a band, it would be easy to bend it and prevent proper blood flow to the finger or be unable to remove the ring (without some struggle).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor is pretty strict when it comes to any kind of jewelry in class. I still think you can cause more damage to yourself than others when wearing a ring, principally if it is just a band, it would be easy to bend it and prevent proper blood flow to the finger or be unable to remove the ring (without some struggle).

I can imagine Master West being strict about jewelry in class. I've only met him once or twice (20+ years ago) when I spent time with GM Kim's students in Elgin, IL.

You're absolutely right about rings being a big danger to the wearer! Well said!

iwingchun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the type of ring.....surely, someone who is getting hit (with ring) pains more than other who not......:)

Latest Discussions