Wearing a ring during a fight.

Kempo49

White Belt
Reaction score
Question here is pretty simple. Would wearing a ring during a fist fight do more damage to your opponent or to you. Would you end up hurting your hand more then hurting the opponent's face? Also this is not an "in theory" type question. Is there anyone out there who has punched someone in the face for real, wearing a ring?

Thanks
-Mike

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the type of the ring....

- Ceicei

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the type of the ring....

- Ceicei

Yep...The outlaw bikers wear those big heavy silver rings in almost every finger..They aint for looks????

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never hit anything (or anyone) with a ring. The reason is a friend many years ago hit a guy in the face with a high-school ring on and cut his finger to the bone. I have been ring shy since! I am sure it has to do with the style of ring though.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A big enough Diamond ring can cut you pretty bad and I am speaking from experience from sparing with someone who was wearing a ring.:p

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The style and fit of the ring are important -- but the right rings can be a very effective set of brass knuckles.

You want the part around your finger to be pretty smooth, and to fit properly, if you're going to be striking while wearing rings. There are also other concerns about wearing rings in fighting if you end up in a grappling situation; they can snag and trap your hand in clothing.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's the "Subtle Safety Ring" That, transforms ala Optimus Prime, into a set of brass knuckles (kinda)
redclosedringslarge.jpg

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My mom's husband has a nice little story:
When he was in the Navy, he ran around with a guy who carried a roll of quarters in each front pocket. One night, the guy finally picked a fight and when he hit the guy, quarters shot out both sides of his, now broken, hand.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder how quickly can be deployed?

- Ceicei
I wouldn't think too quickly at first. Maybe with time and practice you could yank it off, unfold it and slip it on three fingers fast enough. But, then again, maybe not...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd rather not wear a protruding ring during a fight.

Most of us are trained to punch with the knuckles of the index and middle fingers, not the ring finger knuckles. If someone tried to alter his mechanics to take advantage of the ring, that could turn out to be somewhat disasterous.

I doubt you'd want to be using your carpals or metacarpals as a punching surface.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a couple of examples of some bronze rings designed for fighting that were estimated to be over 2,000 yrs old, so fighting with rings on is not a new experience. Both rings were small and the ‘decoration’ was a pyramid of bronze squares ending is a small square.

When I was younger it was common to wear one or two large rings. Instead of punching with them we would turn them so that the face of the ring was inside on the palm side of the finger. A deliberate slap across the forehead to cause blood running into eyes was the most common seen tactic with a second favorite going for the ears and trying to take chunks out of them.

Today I advise my friends and students especially females that when they are getting that gut feeling that something is not right to turn the rings as they are leaving the area. It can be done usually with the same hand thumb and not usually noticeable. It helps to hide valuables and turns what is an instinctive response (slapping) into a more effective tool.

Brian King

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not wear rings, but I would say if you wanted a ring for that you would want it on the first two fingers and to be very wide and proud of the finger. ( if you punch right it must extend past the knuckles to be efficient. I would not personally think of a ring as a good weapon that way. there are much better non obtrusive weapons out there!

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wonder how quickly this ring can be deployed?

- Ceicei

Hold on a minute before you attack me....GGGGnnnngg....just can't get this off, just give us a minute will you? You don't have any vaseline or washing up liquid or anything do you? No? Ok well hold on let me just use spit. HHhnnnnngggghhhhhh.. Aaah here it is. Now hold on let me just extend the two ring bits out of the side. That's one...... Right that's the other one. Ok then just let me put it back on my fingers........ Ok. There we are then. Right I'm ready for that fight now....

Oh.

Where are my front teeth?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
most rings as mentioned are not warn on the knuckles that are used for a good punch ... s if you want a weapon there are a lot of less obtrusive weapons available... canes and other weapons.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
most rings as mentioned are not warn on the knuckles that are used for a good punch ... s if you want a weapon there are a lot of less obtrusive weapons available... canes and other weapons.
Great point, Chinto. Many good threads on MT about canes. The kubotan is also very unobtrusive, but a great little 'weapon', or defense piece.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great point, Chinto. Many good threads on MT about canes. The kubotan is also very unobtrusive, but a great little 'weapon', or defense piece.

yes and the other thing to remember is blood born pathogens! if that ring cuts him and you ... you have body fluids contaminating your wound... if he is HIV+ or has say hepatitis b or c... or several other quite lethal ones, and you could be in real trouble!!!
if you train right and maybe work a makawara a bit.. you will do as much damage as most could do with rings any way.