weapons

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What weapons are taught in tae Kwon do classes?

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I MEANT ARMED WEAPONS LIKE STAFF ETC.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD as the name states is a weaponless art. Some weapons defenses are part of the art. What any instructor chooses to teach in addition to the TKD curriculum is purely a mtter of choice.

D

Deleted member 39746

If they do weapons, it tends to be similar ones to karate. (at lest from what i have read or what they might mix with to teach weapons like Hapkido)

they basically use similar things as the Chinese and Japanese given the mix of cultures.

If you want weapons go with a weapon based martial art, karate, kobudo or which ever styles of Chinese martial art have weapons. (and actually teach you to use them not this demonstration nonsense :p) Or hapkido i think that has it in it. And is Korean.*

*not a extensive list, just some examples of some i know which have weapons in them, FMA is a good example for one based on weapons or a lot of HEMA systems.

Edit: and the self defence i have seen from weapons tends to be generic i feel. Its the generic things taught as knife defence that a lot of other places do. I would say its what you would call "self defence techniques" as they tend to be taught as them everywhere. :p

Oh and they dont do it nearly as good as modern dedicated self defence schools for knives do. Because there isnt a stabbing war going on. At least in my limited expereince in TKD self defence for the orognisation and teacher i did it with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TKD is an unarmed art. Any weapons taught are not part of TKD, but just something added (with widely varying degrees of success) by that particular school or system.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh I'm nowhere near good enough to compete.

It was funny, though. I overheard two teenage girls, a purple belt (young teen) and a white belt (older teen) talking. All I heard was the white belt say "no...I don't think we're going to learn how to use Batarangs in here."

That's when I said "but we do have a class with lightsabers."

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Look bro, all the weapons you need are your two fists. Any man who trusts their life to a weapon is a fool.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, anyone who disagrees with what I said, Tae Kwon Do means "The way of foot and hand." There's literally no weapons in Tae Kwon Do or else you aren't practicing Tae Kwon Do. Educate your damn selves.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
What weapons are taught in tae Kwon do classes?
I asked my instructor that question when I first started. My instructor answered with 'when you get your black belt you can ask then'. By the time I earned my black belt, I knew enough not to have to ask. True story.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technically speak, karate doesn’t have weapons either. Karate means “empty hand.” Kobudo is the Okinawan weapons art, not karate. Many karate schools incorporate weapons, but they’re technically not the same thing. Furthermore, I don’t think the founders of the major karate schools - Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu, etc. taught weapons.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically speak, karate doesn’t have weapons either. Karate means “empty hand.” Kobudo is the Okinawan weapons art, not karate. Many karate schools incorporate weapons, but they’re technically not the same thing. Furthermore, I don’t think the founders of the major karate schools - Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu, etc. taught weapons.
In the Shorin-ryu school I teach at, they issue separate ranks for Karate-do vs. Kobudo, though I've seen other schools that simply incorporate them, making the kobudo (lower case) a part of the requirements at certain Karate-do ranks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the Shorin-ryu school I teach at, they issue separate ranks for Karate-do vs. Kobudo, though I've seen other schools that simply incorporate them, making the kobudo (lower case) a part of the requirements at certain Karate-do ranks.
I think it’s more common for karate to incorporate weapons into the curriculum than it is to have separate karate and kobudo curricula with their own respective ranks.

A few schools in my area have separated weapons out of the curriculum almost completely. My former teacher was one of the first. When he went off on his own he decided to scrap the weapons portion altogether. He later added kobudo as a separate program, and put some very basic kobudo stuff back into the karate curriculum. So in karate, 1st kyu might do some basic bo stuff like handling the weapon, 1st dan might do a bo kata, 2nd dan might do some prearranged sparring, etc.

My current organization has weapons requirements at the dan ranks.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As others have said, Taekwondo doesn't traditionally have any weapons. It's the way of hands and feet, not the way of swords and sticks. But many TKD schools do teach some weapon or weapons, such as bo staff, nunchaku, short stick, knife, or sais. Some schools teach their weapon(s) only to black belts, to help retain black belt students. Other schools teach them to all students at some color belt level(s). Other schools have a totally separate weapons class open to everybody, often for an extra charge.

Latest Discussions