Weapons in Taekwondo???

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... no actual evidence, I take it?
Don't feel bad. Nobody else has ever found any, either.
I gave the evidence, but you refuse to accept it. Again, we will have to agree to disagree.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave the evidence, but you refuse to accept it. Again, we will have to agree to disagree.
No, you didn't. Unsupported statements are not evidence. They're simply opinions. Opinions which people who where there at the time disagree with.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you didn't. Unsupported statements are not evidence. They're simply opinions. Opinions which people who where there at the time disagree with.
If you say so. Go ahead, get the last word in.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was no difference between the (mostly) Japanese schools that the founders trained in and their initial teachings in Korea. Even the name they applied - Tong Soo Do - is nothing other than the Korean pronunciation of the Kanji characters for... Karate.
It's not a good thing, but the reality is that there are no surviving indigenous Korean martial art system.
I agree it appears there was no 'organized' system since there wasn't much of an organized Korean military at the time of the occupation. It was scattered when the occupation began, but it is reasonable to assume some of the combat skill teachers survived. It has always been explained to me that there were skills/systems known and used which had been handed down through family and organized society such as the local police and militia. It is reasonable assume some of these purely Korean derived skills remained and were implemented as TKD solidified after the occupation.
No, I am Not saying TKD is a 2,000-year-old art. But I don't think All of the TKD skills are Japanese derived.
Remember, there was also Chinese suppression in the Korean history.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. It is reasonable assume some of these purely Korean derived skills remained and were implemented as TKD solidified
I subscribe to the theory that like invention of the wheel or discovery of fire no one country or person can lay claim to having invented or discovered MA skills. They are similarly most likely the product of simultaneous but unconnected discoveries and developments. Toward that end it is virtually impossible to determine if any skill was Korean derived.

This discussion seems more to be about whether any codified widespread Korean system survived and frankly 150 years ago there were few codified widely practiced uniform systems except perhaps in China due to the difficulties of Travel, communication and re producing the printed page on a wide scale.

Toward that end it seems the Japanese were successful during the occupation of Kore in eradicating whatever systems that may have existed not withstanding the supposed resurrection of some. As of yet there has been little to no hard evidence of the contrary.

Latest Discussions