Weapon Choice

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

OK, was just curious as I know the highlanders and Gurkha get along well. but then there are a lot of units in the R.A. that are very very well trained and equiped. but Yes I have to agree it is alot about how you train and who is your instructor. I know that the ROK forces have at least in the past trained in TKD for hand to hand combat. I know that they were in Veitnam considered by the NVA and VC as very dangerous in unarmed combat. I prefer the Okinawan systems and particularly the one I study. I have had some training in a diferent Okinawan system in the past and prefer the one I study now. I like the well rounded systems of Okinawa and the lowline kicks and things.

Any way thanks for the information.. what unit were you with? I would tend to think it was provably light Infatry as I dont think the Gurkha do a lot with armor.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the Gurkhas do TKD as part of their training, every Sunday afternoon in the Mckay Gym, Infantry Training Centre, Catterick Garrison.(any doubters I will give you the telphone number of the gym and you can ask the Army PTIs!) The recruits have to do TKD, when they leave training it's up to them whether they carry on. I've also trained TKD with them (a rare honour) and I know one of their TKD instructors well. They do have a Kukri kata, probably made up by them, I've seen it when they did a demo at one of our shows. the also dance with them. We're hoping they will do another demo on our next show. I will ask about the Kukri kata.

I wouldn't say specifically the Gurkhas love cold steel any more than the Scots do! My father was in a Scottish Regiment and I went to school in Aberdeen, Scotland so can answer for that! the Scots do like a good fight though. I work with the Gurkhas so can answer for that bit too, they are actually very polite, nice people, the men however are very flirty and good fun! When asked about their training and custom they are very likely to take advantage of peoples incredulity and naivete and tell them all sorts! The kukri is a very lethal weapon but it is also an everyday tool for the people of Nepal and I think westerners have made a huge myth out of it's use that the Gurkhas don't share. it's simply a tool or weapon for them. There's all that nonsense about how everytime a Gurkha unsheaths it, it has to have blood on it either an enemy's or he has to nick himself. If that were true the Gurkhas would probably bleed to death the amount of times they unsheath it to use it.

The only time to avoid a Gurkha is when he's behind the wheel of a car!

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd agree with pretty much everything Tez said there.

Gurkhas arent just infantrymen, they have engineers, signals, logistics (I think) and other elements too.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes the Gurkhas do TKD as part of their training, every Sunday afternoon in the Mckay Gym, Infantry Training Centre, Catterick Garrison.(any doubters I will give you the telphone number of the gym and you can ask the Army PTIs!) The recruits have to do TKD, when they leave training it's up to them whether they carry on. I've also trained TKD with them (a rare honour) and I know one of their TKD instructors well. They do have a Kukri kata, probably made up by them, I've seen it when they did a demo at one of our shows. the also dance with them. We're hoping they will do another demo on our next show. I will ask about the Kukri kata.

I wouldn't say specifically the Gurkhas love cold steel any more than the Scots do! My father was in a Scottish Regiment and I went to school in Aberdeen, Scotland so can answer for that! the Scots do like a good fight though. I work with the Gurkhas so can answer for that bit too, they are actually very polite, nice people, the men however are very flirty and good fun! When asked about their training and custom they are very likely to take advantage of peoples incredulity and naivete and tell them all sorts! The kukri is a very lethal weapon but it is also an everyday tool for the people of Nepal and I think westerners have made a huge myth out of it's use that the Gurkhas don't share. it's simply a tool or weapon for them. There's all that nonsense about how everytime a Gurkha unsheaths it, it has to have blood on it either an enemy's or he has to nick himself. If that were true the Gurkhas would probably bleed to death the amount of times they unsheath it to use it.

The only time to avoid a Gurkha is when he's behind the wheel of a car!

yep, that squares with what the gurkha told me. said it was an every day multi tool in napal and so they grew up useing it for meany things and so much of the basic handling of the kukuri was second nature, like a carpenter would not have to think about basic technique of hitting a nail on the head with his hammer.

also he said they use it to clip the grass around the barricks and such other chores when needed. so yep would I would say that a transfusion would be nessesary if they had to bleed on the blade every time it was drawn. still its a very efficent tool and weapon.. I carry one i bought tht has a broad arrow proof mark on it when I go hikeing here in the US. exelent tool for meany camp chores and a good back up weapon...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd agree with pretty much everything Tez said there.

Gurkhas arent just infantrymen, they have engineers, signals, logistics (I think) and other elements too.
yes, I would expect engineers and other elements, but I had never heard of a gurkha armored unit though...... but they are as I understand it very well trained and equiped light infantry and any of the other elements that would support light infantry would be expected, at least by me.... for what its worth.

still I would love to see the kata they have made up for the kukuri!!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, that squares with what the gurkha told me. said it was an every day multi tool in napal and so they grew up useing it for meany things and so much of the basic handling of the kukuri was second nature, like a carpenter would not have to think about basic technique of hitting a nail on the head with his hammer.

Nice of you to agree with me LOL!

If you know about the Scots, do you know what a Skean Dhu is?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice of you to agree with me LOL!

If you know about the Scots, do you know what a Skean Dhu is?

yes the "black knife" the knife that is in the stocking of the pipers and in the highlanders sock in history, mainly a utility knife and eating tool historicaly as well as a last ditch weapon.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the "black knife" the knife that is in the stocking of the pipers and in the highlanders sock in history, mainly a utility knife and eating tool historicaly as well as a last ditch weapon.

Thats the one! There was talk of trying to ban it being carried along with the Sikhs knife they carry. Can't imagine either group being amenable to that!

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know of a chap who tried to take one through port security as he wanted to wear his kilt at a wedding on a ship...

Didnt work.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats the one! There was talk of trying to ban it being carried along with the Sikhs knife they carry. Can't imagine either group being amenable to that!

good god, what idiot had that stupid Idea??

"oops! hay they are soldiers and in our military, We CAN NOT let them have anything that might be dangerious or a weapon!!!"

sheesh! what stupidity!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know of a chap who tried to take one through port security as he wanted to wear his kilt at a wedding on a ship...

Didnt work.

my god wonder what they would have said to the old "battle issue" claymore and scabard for the pipers and officers? ( you know the one that is not a wall hanger stupidity but a real basket hilted broad sword.. or some are back swords....) would have provably needed medics to help with the shock that a "weapon" was there...

the mind boggles! the Idiots have taken over the running of so much of the goverments bissness ... it is sad!

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes the Gurkhas do TKD as part of their training, every Sunday afternoon in the Mckay Gym, Infantry Training Centre, Catterick Garrison.(any doubters I will give you the telphone number of the gym and you can ask the Army PTIs!) The recruits have to do TKD, when they leave training it's up to them whether they carry on.

This might explain why this Gurkha uses spinning headkicks in this simulated engagement from the Deadliest Warrior tv-series(Starts at about 1:31). Was a bit puzzled by that. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might explain why this Gurkha uses spinning headkicks in this simulated engagement from the Deadliest Warrior tv-series(Starts at about 1:31). Was a bit puzzled by that. :)

TKD is a compulsory part of their basic training, I think because as they can't go home at weekends like the UK recruits the instructors find them things to do, not that it doesn't any harm, martial arts is good for everyone.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK....my advice....pick something simple. You must first learn to use the weapon as an extension of the hand, and solid weapons are the best to start with....sticks, staffs, etc....nothing flexible...ie: nunchaku, manriki gusari, etc.

I share this sentiment. It's much easier to understand the cause and effect relation your body has to the weapon when the weapon is solid.
With nunchuks, your going to hit yourself. It usually won't be that bad, especially if they're padded. You won't hit yourself in the groin as much as you might think. You hit your elbows and knees a lot. Plus, I've heard excessive nunchuk training can give you serious elbow problems without instruction. Three sectional staff? Whoah... please take your time with that one. A big part of starting with flexible weapons is just getting over the fear of using one. I might recommend padding. :)
I also wouldn't recommend dual wielding anything for a starting weapon. Not only can it be difficult to learn, but it can also require certain types of strength you haven't developed yet. My escrima sticks weren't too hot until I developed more forearm and deltoid strength, which was particularly weak at the time.
If you have strong shoulders and traps, I would recommend a polearm of some kind.

Now, this is me being a hypocrite. I would also recommend a weapon that has teaching that's relatively accessible to you. It can be difficult to find good information on the usage of a weapon if it isn't taught to you. It can require a lot of research and experimentation with even the best of sources. Take this from a person that's tried it. It can be REALLY hard to understand why certain styles do certain things on your own. Unless your absolutely hellbent on learning a particular weapon, I don't recommend it.

Can it be literally anything? Like shovels? Rakes? Baseball bats? The Monk Spade was the original combat shovel. :D

Unique....well, it's really more about the application of the weapon itself than it is the weapon. The amount of preferred methods around the world of using the staff is insane. I'm kind of biased to the staff myself. :D
But if you're really want to use an uncommon weapon, I would posit the cane, hook swords, nagamaki, or any kind of unique polearm. There are a lot. Thing is, good luck learning those.

I would recommend a more regular weapon if you aren't used to weapons. If you really want it to be unique, try to find an less common style of using the weapon. Or mix a few if that's allowed. The staff (any length) or sword could be good picks for that route.
If you're competing or being judged somehow, don't listen to me so much. I don't know about those things.
Mostly, I would recommend choosing a weapon you enjoy using or has a lot for you to work on. If you get bored of the weapon, that's obviously a problem. Me for example. I think nunchuks are neat, but I got bored of practicing with them after a while.

The wikipedia list of a bunch of weapons! :p

List of premodern combat weapons - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

List of medieval weapons - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As somebody mentioned above, think about your goals. Do you just want something that can be used in a weapons competition kata? Or would you prefer something that might be useful for self defense? In that case, you might want to change to something that could be found in many places, or wouldn't seem out of place to carry for other purposes.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bo staff... simple, can attack from a distance and its something I have practiced with(mostly kata)

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bo staff... simple, can attack from a distance and its something I have practiced with(mostly kata)

Thing about staff is that it applies to so many things. Most common tools are polearm length, knives, or top heavy things like axes. . Garage tools like rakes and shovels, or maybe nastier devices like the pruning saw. You can't use it quite like the picture make it look like you can. As in, you can't chop with it. only gnash with draw cuts.

As far as self defense is concerned, if you don't pick a knife (probably among the smartest, if not the most common, choices), I might recommend picking something top heavy. Immediate nearby objects are unlikely to be weighted well for fighting, so it helps to be used to needing to compensate for a weight distribution that isn't always easy to control. Hammers and axes, for example. Using particularly heavy weapons can also give you a better affinity for form. With lighter weapons, it's easy for the muscles to compensate for bad technique with extra strength without you noticing. Heavier weapons can give you a better appreciation for the dynamics involved with moving a weapon in more efficient ways, as well as strengthen your body. It will be a natural progression, because bad form will make you tired and/or ineffective.
So, if you pick up something like a baseball bat, or a hammer, axe, shovel, or whatever, you'll be ready for that extra unnecessary weight. If it's weighted well, that's just icing on the cake. Especially if you've trained with lighter weighted weapons too.

iu

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive been rold what type it is a few times (ive always seemed to forget) the one I use is 6 ft bo staff (I prefer a heavier wood)

Latest Discussions