Weapon Choice

Leopard claw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The three section staff is fun, after the bumps and bruises. Best to get some kind of instruction if you are going to use this weapon, even if it's a DVD!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite weapons are Nunchaku and Kama. However I do enjoy Sai also and getting to enjoy the tonfa little more. Still not my favorite. I have some Tekko on order also so I will see how that goes.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite weapons are Nunchaku and Kama. However I do enjoy Sai also and getting to enjoy the tonfa little more. Still not my favorite. I have some Tekko on order also so I will see how that goes.

I know the tekko a bit. and it is not a comonly tought weapon. provably the one that is most legaly gray to have regardless of where you live. do you have an instructor who knows the weapon? I dont think most kobujitsu/kobudo sensei know that weapon.
Oh Please if you do learn it be very carefull who you teach how to use them.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True most don't but some empty hand kata can be adapted to be used with the Tekko and yes I am associated with a couple of instructors who can help me. But I agree they are not the most common weapon.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
True most don't but some empty hand kata can be adapted to be used with the Tekko and yes I am associated with a couple of instructors who can help me. But I agree they are not the most common weapon.

yes that is true to a point. but there are at least 2 kata spacific to the weapon. either way its the one that really gets cops upset if they see them in a bag.....even between the dojo and home.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am aware of the couple of traditional tekko kata. Not many thats for sure and rare at best. Nice thing about working with them is I don't have to carry them they will always be in the dojo like all my other stuff. No need in upseting the police.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am aware of the couple of traditional tekko kata. Not many thats for sure and rare at best. Nice thing about working with them is I don't have to carry them they will always be in the dojo like all my other stuff. No need in upseting the police.

ya, most cops get really unfriendly about finding any kind of brass knucles or fist loads on any one for any reason. I know where I live, and in most places the cops do kinda keep track of who trains in martial arts and especialy of any one who makes it to the higher kyu ranks and into the dan ranks. so if you are one of those and stoped between home and the dojo they would provably know you were some one who trained. but still they could make it tough on you if they wanted to really try.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, most cops get really unfriendly about finding any kind of brass knucles or fist loads on any one for any reason. I know where I live, and in most places the cops do kinda keep track of who trains in martial arts and especialy of any one who makes it to the higher kyu ranks and into the dan ranks. so if you are one of those and stoped between home and the dojo they would provably know you were some one who trained. but still they could make it tough on you if they wanted to really try.
I don't know where you live, but I gotta say that, outside of cops like me who are interested in the martial arts on our own -- very few of us pay any real attention to who is training in martial arts in our jurisdiction. Hell, there are just too many TKD places alone to even try...

Unless, of course, you're calling attention to yourself... Yeah, most of us remember the guy strolling to class in his uniform, or the guys working with swords in the park. Especially if we get calls about their activity.

Now -- if you're carrying things like the tekko (which are essentially brass knuckles; I had to look 'em up and I figure others wouldn't recognize 'em), and you encounter the cops, there's a simple way to handle it. BE HONEST. If I stop you, and you're carrying various sorts of martial arts gear, including things that would typically be considered a concealed weapon (like brass knuckles or shuriken), but they're in a gear bag (not particularly accessible to you quickly), with other stuff... I'm probably going to figure out what's up, and get you back on your way. But, if you're evasive, and you have them tucked in a handy pocket or otherwise immediately available -- well, then we're gonna have problems. In other words, be smart and responsible, and everyone will get along fine. Be stupid... and you'll have problems.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with JKS I am not a police officer but have been around them alot and actually been through police defensive tactics training and am working on teaching police tactics in conjunction with a police officer we just recently met who asked us to work with them. Honesty is always the best policy I have only had one expereience where it was not good enough and the guy was just a jerk but thats not the norm at all in my experience.

Now where my dojo is the police department patrols around my dojo alot because of it being near a Sam's club and the police in the community for the most part have gotten to know who we are even if not by name yet they know where we belong and its a nice feeling to have them watch out for our students as they leave classes after dark.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but I gotta say that, outside of cops like me who are interested in the martial arts on our own -- very few of us pay any real attention to who is training in martial arts in our jurisdiction. Hell, there are just too many TKD places alone to even try...

Unless, of course, you're calling attention to yourself... Yeah, most of us remember the guy strolling to class in his uniform, or the guys working with swords in the park. Especially if we get calls about their activity.

Now -- if you're carrying things like the tekko (which are essentially brass knuckles; I had to look 'em up and I figure others wouldn't recognize 'em), and you encounter the cops, there's a simple way to handle it. BE HONEST. If I stop you, and you're carrying various sorts of martial arts gear, including things that would typically be considered a concealed weapon (like brass knuckles or shuriken), but they're in a gear bag (not particularly accessible to you quickly), with other stuff... I'm probably going to figure out what's up, and get you back on your way. But, if you're evasive, and you have them tucked in a handy pocket or otherwise immediately available -- well, then we're gonna have problems. In other words, be smart and responsible, and everyone will get along fine. Be stupid... and you'll have problems.

ehh in a town of all of about 40,000 or so, and I think they would provably not pay much attention to say below 4th kyu or so. but I do not go around atracting attention, but for instance my sensei got a traffic stop by a local officer, he didnt know the cop, but the cop knew he was an instructor... actualy the officer was really nice and said warning dont do that kind of minor thing again please....

but yes, if stoped they better be in a bag that is zipped shut with a gi and things or you will have a bad time of it im sure. brass knuckles are a thing that tend to make cops unfriendly. and yes be honest, after all if you are not going home or to the dojo why would you have it with you... and weapons in the park... yikes.. sounds like an invite to bad problems.. hell no one around me knows i train at all if i can help it.
dont need the problems of some one deciding to see how good I am or something... just not worth that kind of greiff

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK....my advice....pick something simple. You must first learn to use the weapon as an extension of the hand, and solid weapons are the best to start with....sticks, staffs, etc....nothing flexible...ie: nunchaku, manriki gusari, etc.

That being said...a weapon that I always enjoyed watching when done well was the fan (in Japanese, tessen). The Japanese fan is very stiff, made of iron most times. The Chinese version is flexible and quite a bit more showy.

So far my favorite suggestion was "toaster in a pillowcase". Haven't seen that one yet, but I'd been on the receiving end of "soap in a sock" before and it wasn't fun.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ya amazing how much pain a bar of soap in a sock can couse. It is one of those last ditch improvised weapons kinda thing. that and a long scarf .. preferably silk with a few coins tied in the end and a pair of larger knots in the middle..( thuggie scarf/ garotte) things that you can have and no one will even look at them twice ... and you can put the knots in fast when and if you need it.. or a belt.. but for what he wants.. I agree.. keep it simple and get a good instructor for the weapon.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shotgun.

Or at the very least, bayonet.

The British Gurkhas all do Taekwondo, and I have seen a khukri form of sorts.

Really? I have never seen any thing on how to use the kukuri from the gurkhas... met a couple a few years ago and asked about use of the knife and was told it was really mainly figure 8 kind of movements and the attitude of sacrifice a hand for a head kind of thing. extreem agression and mainly slashing as the shape and weight make the designe extreemly efficent at that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I have never seen any thing on how to use the kukuri from the gurkhas... met a couple a few years ago and asked about use of the knife and was told it was really mainly figure 8 kind of movements and the attitude of sacrifice a hand for a head kind of thing. extreem agression and mainly slashing as the shape and weight make the designe extreemly efficent at that.
There are numerous khukri drills taught within the American Bando Association; some people question their heritage -- but they're taught. There are blocks and strikes within the systems taught -- though many blocks are "counter-cuts" where the khukri attacks the attack.

I'd be curious about support for the statement that the Ghurka troops are practicing Tae Kwon Do. It's very possible, and I don't particularly expect that they're formally teaching native martial arts as part of their military training.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I served with the Brigade of Gurkhas and can assure you they do do TKD.

They're taught a certain amount in training, and most in my old unit (I cant say all as I do not know) carry it on. I can vouch for this also, as I trained with them.

Regarding the khukri forms, they could quite easily have been made up, I cant even remember where I saw them now.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are numerous khukri drills taught within the American Bando Association; some people question their heritage -- but they're taught. There are blocks and strikes within the systems taught -- though many blocks are "counter-cuts" where the khukri attacks the attack.

I'd be curious about support for the statement that the Ghurka troops are practicing Tae Kwon Do. It's very possible, and I don't particularly expect that they're formally teaching native martial arts as part of their military training.

interesting, would love to see one or two of the drills as I own a kukuri and its a great tool, and of course a proven weapon as any who have historicaly faced the gurkha can tell you.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I served with the Brigade of Gurkhas and can assure you they do do TKD.

They're taught a certain amount in training, and most in my old unit (I cant say all as I do not know) carry it on. I can vouch for this also, as I trained with them.

Regarding the khukri forms, they could quite easily have been made up, I cant even remember where I saw them now.

cool so you are in the Royal Army I take it? are you in one of the Highland regements? I know that the Scotts and the Gurkha have always gotten along well historicaly, partly I think becouse they both love cold sharp steel, and close combat.