We who are about to die, salute you...

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing how this goes.

Sadly, I couldn't make the boxing class- I probably could've done it (nowhere near top speed, of course), but I had too much to do to prepare for today. The BJJ class wasn't physically taxing (as in, I didn't feel remarkably tired afterwards), but it's definitely a lot of technique. The instructor was cool, but the 'set up' left a little bit to be desired- there were 10 of us in a professional boxing ring, all trying out the techniques in slow-motion that we had been shown.

I can't blame the ring-size on the instructor, of course, I'm just saying. They had the boxing class going on at the same time, so the ring was all that was available. Also, with the music going on for the boxing class, it was kind of hard to hear the guy, even with him only a scant few feet away.

I'd like to give it another try in the future, if the schedule changes a bit- I'm thinking I'll concentrate on boxing right now, and add BJJ or muay thai when school ends.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sadly, I couldn't make the boxing class- I probably could've done it (nowhere near top speed, of course), but I had too much to do to prepare for today. The BJJ class wasn't physically taxing (as in, I didn't feel remarkably tired afterwards), but it's definitely a lot of technique. The instructor was cool, but the 'set up' left a little bit to be desired- there were 10 of us in a professional boxing ring, all trying out the techniques in slow-motion that we had been shown.

I can't blame the ring-size on the instructor, of course, I'm just saying. They had the boxing class going on at the same time, so the ring was all that was available. Also, with the music going on for the boxing class, it was kind of hard to hear the guy, even with him only a scant few feet away.

I'd like to give it another try in the future, if the schedule changes a bit- I'm thinking I'll concentrate on boxing right now, and add BJJ or muay thai when school ends.

It sounds like you enjoyed the boxing class more than the BJJ so I would have to say that's a good call, stick with it for now and maybe go to BJJ and Muay Thai later.

It amazed me how much I enjoyed the training I recently started, that also left me sore and made it difficulty to type. It actually changed some of my views of MA and it did to some extent change the direction I had been going for so long.

Enjoy the training

Thanks
XS

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you enjoyed the boxing class more than the BJJ so I would have to say that's a good call, stick with it for now and maybe go to BJJ and Muay Thai later.

Yeah- I mean, I enjoyed the BJJ class, I just think it needs more room than a boxing ring to really be effective. The guy knew his stuff, was courteous and professional, and the class members all seemed to be good people- it was just the noise and close quarters; I was afraid of accidentally falling on another pair of sparring partners.

Had fun learning the Hundred Kilo technique, though. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah- I mean, I enjoyed the BJJ class, I just think it needs more room than a boxing ring to really be effective. The guy knew his stuff, was courteous and professional, and the class members all seemed to be good people- it was just the noise and close quarters; I was afraid of accidentally falling on another pair of sparring partners.

Had fun learning the Hundred Kilo technique, though. :)

Cool, and although I have never trained Western Boxing, I have always liked it and it sounds like you found where you want to be right now and that is a good thing

Keep us posted. I am interested in hearing how it goes.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if I'm able to type afterwards... a buddy tells me that the hand/forearm fatigue is from the effort of making my hands into fists... but I didn't have an issue with it back when I did muay thai. Huh. :)

Congratulations, Jonathan, on taking up boxing. I took boxing in college and it was a great experience. I do think, though, that much of the soreness comes in the beginning from keeping your elbows in and your guard up in a combined tight/lose setting (not rigid, but not easily collapsible by the opponents jabs and crosses) while simultaneously keeping a fist together.

Best of luck! BTW, I took my university boxing class a half-hour after my university Judo class. Both instructors were hard core and I was so sore for the first two months I thought I was going to die...

Keep us updated on your progress.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Minor update- had my 2nd class yesterday (Sunday)... realized that my time in BJJ actually did take a toll on my arm. We had been doing arm-bars, and when I went to go do a left hook, I felt a mild pain in my arm, just below the shouler, and near my armpit... what muscle is that, anyhow? I'm thinking I should've tapped sooner. ;)

Oddly, it actually felt better the more I hit the bag (once I got through the initial discomfort, anyhow). And, apparently, I must've been working the bag pretty thoroughly... since one of my gloves tore along the seam where the thumb is stitched to the rest of the glove (I'm using Main Event brand gloves)! :D I had only used the gloves twice, but the folks who run the school are being nice enough to replace it once they get in a new shipment of gear.

At any rate, I'm loving the class. I've only met one of the boxing instructors (Stennis Floyd), but you can tell he enjoys what he's doing. He told us he's going to be kicking it up next week, to which I'm looking forward.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go stretch my arm! :D

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, and cross-posted from another forum I frequent:

What I'm really loving about all this though? It's getting me in the mindset of 'no excuses'. I'm lifting (not much, but more than before). I'm working on leg and core strength. I went for a run (just now, in fact), and really pushed myself- it's been a few weeks since the last time, but I feel so much better than I did. I wasn't feeling bad, per se, but it's like somebody flipped a switch, and turned on all the lights in my house.

This is so worth the $500 for the year that it cost!
biggrin.gif

Latest Discussions