We who are about to die, salute you...

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
... because I'm attending my first boxing class tonight.

I'm not in horrible shape, but I'm a far cry from my health levels of last year. Haven't run on schedule in months (not entirely true- ran once last week, and promptly rolled my ankle halfway through). Haven't hit the gym, either.

But I'm excited. I'm hoping that's enough to get me through the class. I expect to be in pain tomorrow. :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best of luck to you..Keeps us posted...If your able...

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ache.

I had my first class last night. A little different than I expected... I had expected a more technical discussion of how to throw the different punches (it's easy to throw an uppercut, but it's actually not all that intuitive as to how to really put your body behind it, it turns out- at least, not for me). The instructor, though, said that he just wants to get our muscles prepped for the motion- just used to throwing punches. In a couple weeks, he says he'll get a lot more technical, which I'm looking forward to.

Anyways. I ache. But it's not a burning, can't-walk-because-my-bones-hurt kind of ache. It's more like a dull throb in the major arm muscle groups, and thighs. I've noticed a fatigue in my forearms, and, surprisingly, my hands. My hands shake when I try to exercise fine motor control, like writing, for example.

But I enjoyed it. I got out there, got to put glove on bag, and got my heart rate up. I've missed pushing myself. I've missed that little 'dance' I do, bouncing on the balls of my feet, to my own bass drum. I've missed sweating, and coming out feeling good and exhausted.

I ache. And I'm smiling the smile of someone who's found something they enjoy. :D

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ache.

I had my first class last night. A little different than I expected... I had expected a more technical discussion of how to throw the different punches (it's easy to throw an uppercut, but it's actually not all that intuitive as to how to really put your body behind it, it turns out- at least, not for me). The instructor, though, said that he just wants to get our muscles prepped for the motion- just used to throwing punches. In a couple weeks, he says he'll get a lot more technical, which I'm looking forward to.

Anyways. I ache. But it's not a burning, can't-walk-because-my-bones-hurt kind of ache. It's more like a dull throb in the major arm muscle groups, and thighs. I've noticed a fatigue in my forearms, and, surprisingly, my hands. My hands shake when I try to exercise fine motor control, like writing, for example.

But I enjoyed it. I got out there, got to put glove on bag, and got my heart rate up. I've missed pushing myself. I've missed that little 'dance' I do, bouncing on the balls of my feet, to my own bass drum. I've missed sweating, and coming out feeling good and exhausted.

I ache. And I'm smiling the smile of someone who's found something they enjoy. :D
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've thought about getting back into boxing myself.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you didn't sustain any permanent damage..I wished many times that I would have gotten in boxing when I was a young man...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So...let me see if I am getting this right...you ache? ;) :p

Glad you enjoyed yourself Jonathan! Hope you continue to do so as well. :)

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So...let me see if I am getting this right...you ache? ;) :p

Dun-nuh-nuh-nuh... Stop... MOTRIN TIME!

hammertime.gif

Ow, ow, owwwww, ow ow ow...

:D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ache.

Johnathon sound s like you had a great time, thye ache will go away in a couple of months

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a good time. happy to hear it.

I got my nose broken sunday boxing but just as soon as the bleedings topped I was back out there finishing up with my sparring:) So all the aches and broken noses aside....there is just something great about taking part in the manly art of defense!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure this will be no consolation, but the soreness is always worse on the SECOND day after the workout, in my experience :)

On a lighter note: it seems you have a the GOOD ache of growth (as opposed to injury) so rejoice! Think of the ache as "weakness leaving the body" ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But are you feeling any pain? :)

Sounds like you enjoyed it, when do you go back ?

I went through this ache, actually still do from time to time, when I returned to external CMA styles after a long break.

It's a great feeling isn't it?

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But are you feeling any pain? :)

Sounds like you enjoyed it, when do you go back ?

Not pain, just a general soreness around long neglected muscle groups. ;)

I actually go back tomorrow evening... and get this: I'm going to try out a BJJ demo class. If I'm up to it afterwards, I'll attend the boxing class, too.

It'll be interesting to see if I'm able to type afterwards... a buddy tells me that the hand/forearm fatigue is from the effort of making my hands into fists... but I didn't have an issue with it back when I did muay thai. Huh. :)

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure this will be no consolation, but the soreness is always worse on the SECOND day after the workout, in my experience :)

Your experience holds true, btw. :) Right now, the muscles in my back (my traps, I'm guessing), my triceps, and the muscles just beneath where my arm meets my torso (not quite my pectorals) all have a pretty decent soreness about them. I'll be stretching them throughout the day, that's for sure. ;)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not pain, just a general soreness around long neglected muscle groups. ;)

I actually go back tomorrow evening... and get this: I'm going to try out a BJJ demo class. If I'm up to it afterwards, I'll attend the boxing class, too.

It'll be interesting to see if I'm able to type afterwards... a buddy tells me that the hand/forearm fatigue is from the effort of making my hands into fists... but I didn't have an issue with it back when I did muay thai. Huh. :)
I used to do a grappling class right after Muay Thai. The first couple of times I did that I thought I was going to die when I woke up the next morning! I was an exteme effort just to get out of bed!

Latest Discussions