We owe the Chi Masters an apology

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it works the same for all people, but I have a lower back problem that manifests itself by very sharp pain in my lower back when I move a certain way, usually on one side more that the other. Usually while walking. My instinctive reaction often causes me to partially lose my balance. Embarrassing to be sure. I find that some of the stretches I learned in the Hapkido I studied seem to help.
My back problem is such that it's just chronically screwed up. So, I am used to routinely adjusting for it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not even the glaring, but hitting them and them dropping dead later on - days, weeks, months, even years. There’s alleged pressure points that have a “delayed death touch” effect, according to some very old MA sources.

Some are actually real, but not as they envisioned - bruise someone’s heart, and it can take about 6 months for a heart attack. Rupture someone’s spleen (not outright, but a small tear) and they could drop dead within a few days. Give someone a concussion and they can sometimes go asymptomatic for a period. Kind of hard back then to disprove the delayed death touch. People also died from natural causes within a relatively short time period, and the other person could claim it was his plan all along. Modern medicine has explained some of that and thankfully prevented a lot of it.

Then there’s herbs that people took and got better. Well, some illnesses resolve themselves. Kind of like some old wives’ tales about pregnancy and speeding up going into labor. Jumping around won’t induce labor. But if you’re jumping for days and then go into labor, sure, it was the jumping :) Had nothing to do with she was going to go into labor anyway.

I only had personal knowledge with spleen issues from malaria. In Vietnam, a man died under our detention. Naturally that caused quite a stir. The family was convinced to allow an autopsy. The pathologist determined the man died of a ruptured spleen, with no evidence of outside trauma. According to the pathologist, that was not uncommon in Vietnam and other parts of South-east Asia, as sometimes one side effect was an enlargement of the spleen. That was sometimes so severe that the spleen would, from otherwise natural activity, pull itself loose from its attachments, causing a tear that allowed the person to bleed to death. Some of us got to where we took our malaria pills a lot more regularly after that.

I sense that you are skeptical of herbal medicines.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....ics/a-history-of-aspirin/20066661.fullarticle where you might want to note the medicinal use of one of the ingredients of aspirin from a rather long time ago. And you might be aware that a lot of modern medicines are synthesized from exotic plants and insects, usually as a result of questioning indigenous peoples about how they treat various medical problems.

I don't know if I got one of these Do You Know About These Natural Products that Stimulate Insulin Production? | Natural Medicine Articles | Natural Medicine/Natural Healing or not, but I have type II diabetes. My wife was once getting some herbal concoctions from an herbal doctor who would prepare a prescription of herbs/spices after interviewing a patient, then produce a powdered or liquid medicine. My wife mentioned that I had diabetes and didn't think anything more about it I guess, and the herbalist must have felt secure from whatever her answer was, to add some diabetes treatment herbs to his mix. When I started taking the medicine, my blood sugar dropped to dangerous levels. I quickly realized it was due to the medicine. Western medicine on a good plan is cheaper so I quit taking that medicine.

Does all herbal or folk medicine work? I don't know. Probably not. But some of it sure does.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK JR 137, I'm tired of picking on you now so I guess I will don my flame resistant suit and crawl back into my hole. :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My back problem is such that it's just chronically screwed up. So, I am used to routinely adjusting for it.

My problem chronically comes, and only after a while goes. It is severe enough I at least, don't seem to be able to adjust for it. Or maybe I just have a low tolerance for pain?

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I only had personal knowledge with spleen issues from malaria. In Vietnam, a man died under our detention. Naturally that caused quite a stir. The family was convinced to allow an autopsy. The pathologist determined the man died of a ruptured spleen, with no evidence of outside trauma. According to the pathologist, that was not uncommon in Vietnam and other parts of South-east Asia, as sometimes one side effect was an enlargement of the spleen. That was sometimes so severe that the spleen would, from otherwise natural activity, pull itself loose from its attachments, causing a tear that allowed the person to bleed to death. Some of us got to where we took our malaria pills a lot more regularly after that.

I sense that you are skeptical of herbal medicines.

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....ics/a-history-of-aspirin/20066661.fullarticle where you might want to note the medicinal use of one of the ingredients of aspirin from a rather long time ago. And you might be aware that a lot of modern medicines are synthesized from exotic plants and insects, usually as a result of questioning indigenous peoples about how they treat various medical problems.

I don't know if I got one of these Do You Know About These Natural Products that Stimulate Insulin Production? | Natural Medicine Articles | Natural Medicine/Natural Healing or not, but I have type II diabetes. My wife was once getting some herbal concoctions from an herbal doctor who would prepare a prescription of herbs/spices after interviewing a patient, then produce a powdered or liquid medicine. My wife mentioned that I had diabetes and didn't think anything more about it I guess, and the herbalist must have felt secure from whatever her answer was, to add some diabetes treatment herbs to his mix. When I started taking the medicine, my blood sugar dropped to dangerous levels. I quickly realized it was due to the medicine. Western medicine on a good plan is cheaper so I quit taking that medicine.

Does all herbal or folk medicine work? I don't know. Probably not. But some of it sure does.
I’m not skeptical of herbal medicine. I agree a lot of our modern pharmacological medicines started off as herbal medicines. My issue is some of the stuff out there is very far fetched. My initial post about it was how people used to take it blindly because the local witch doctor told them it healed others. Meanwhile there was no way to know if the medicine healed them or if they would’ve healed in the same amount of time without it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
:p
I’m not skeptical of herbal medicine. I agree a lot of our modern pharmacological medicines started off as herbal medicines. My issue is some of the stuff out there is very far fetched. My initial post about it was how people used to take it blindly because the local witch doctor told them it healed others. Meanwhile there was no way to know if the medicine healed them or if they would’ve healed in the same amount of time without it.

Not to mention alcoholic snake oil favored in old west movies. :p

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love herbal medicine and deplore the amount of BS built up around it, especially here in the States. I am very much with you on that. It's amazing what people believe just because it's printed on a label and stuck onto a plastic bottle. Or because the second aunt of a brother of a cousin of a sister-in-law says it works.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen people use herbal medicine and my instructor usually talks highly about it but frankly that stuff is still strange in my opinion. Not doubting it's effectiveness I just find the subject unusual in general.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen people use herbal medicine and my instructor usually talks highly about it but frankly that stuff is still strange in my opinion. Not doubting it's effectiveness I just find the subject unusual in general.
Put it this way... If I'm having a heart attack or even just a really nasty case of the flu - I am going to the doctor and then to the pharmacy. Not the local vitamins r' us. :)

Latest Discussions