We Must Never Forget

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21200051

Sometimes telling the story of one person has more impact that the tales of millions.

This short article has a couple of points, one that particularly moved me:

"My brother went to the hospital, but they shot all the people that were physically disabled.
"He knew exactly what was happening... he took off his winter coat and he gave it to my mother and he said: 'Give it to someone who will need it. I won't need it any more'. And she came home with a coat."

And one that made me angry that so soon it has come to this point:

Now in her 80s, she fears younger generations lack knowledge of the Holocaust.
"I had an operation once and the anaesthetist comes and looks at [the tattoo on] my arm and he says, 'What is this?' And I said, 'That's from Auschwitz.' And he said, 'Auschwitz, what was that?'

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...there are a lot contending that it could never happen again...just recently for example on most of the gun threads...

There is a reason to "never forget" so you "never let it happen again."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmmm...there are a lot contending that it could never happen again...just recently for example on most of the gun threads...

There is a reason to "never forget" so you "never let it happen again."

Like who?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steve, I'll gladly get into this over on the gun threads...this is Sukerkin's thread, and we have been getting along recently so I am reluctant to get into this here...name the other thread and as I have time I'll respond...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to explain to my orthopedic surgeon's P.A. what D-Day was. Not just when (he scheduled a 6 June appt. for me and I made the comment)...but what.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our history instruction is pathetic in this country...history has been replaced with social studies...and social studies has become Americas political indoc course. I have one in college, one in HS and one in Middle. Ive seen what passes as "history" these days.

Pathetic.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, I'll gladly get into this over on the gun threads...this is Sukerkin's thread, and we have been getting along recently so I am reluctant to get into this here...name the other thread and as I have time I'll respond...

What are you talking about? You're obviously referring to specific people. I'm asking you who. I don't get subtext very well. I prefer it when people speak plainly.

Fwiw, I'm glad you're getting along with suk lately. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Our history instruction is pathetic in this country...history has been replaced with social studies...and social studies has become Americas political indoc course. I have one in college, one in HS and one in Middle. Ive seen what passes as "history" these days.

Pathetic.

Could be the schools. Also, could be the teachers. I'm pretty happy with my kids' education, so far.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Pathetic.

I left the public schools when the government introduced the NCLB history test. Minnesota was trying to implement it about five years ago and it proved too costly, but the whole idea of a government history exam was abhorrent to me, it's literally a test of propaganda... Which is the study of my graduate degree.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left the public schools when the government introduced the NCLB history test. Minnesota was trying to implement it about five years ago and it proved too costly, but the whole idea of a government history exam was abhorrent to me, it's literally a test of propaganda... Which is the study of my graduate degree.

Have you got some examples of what you were taught in history at school?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ites-long-lost-families?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

But due to concerns about the victims' privacy, the ITS and the German government kept the files closed to the public for half a century. While search requests have been accepted since the end of the war, the archive was initially not "open source."
Ah, yes, it's a German thing....we do everything 100%, either wrong or right.
No telling how many families could have gotten information out of this.

BTW, many Polish children were kidnapped if they matched the preferred phenotype: Blond Blue eyed.
They were given to approved homes and families to be raised the right way.
However, I was surprised to hear they kept records even of that! But hey, if you film yourself murdering people by the gross, I guess kidnapping isn't even a misdemeanor. </sarcasm>

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least the archives are open now - too late for all too many I would bet, sad to say.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My stepdaughter (18) didn't know what Watergate or Vietnam were... :(

And yes, you can bet I gave her some homework assignments to correct the deficiency.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you got some examples of what you were taught in history at school?

We hear it all of the time. The whole story of WWII, for example. The US saved the whole world from fascism. Truman had no choice but to drop the bomb. Pearl Harbor...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We hear it all of the time. The whole story of WWII, for example. The US saved the whole world from fascism. Truman had no choice but to drop the bomb. Pearl Harbor...

Well the rest of the world knows that you are taught that but if WE dare say it we get Americans in a paddy saying we hate them and anyway it's all Hollywoods fault.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well the rest of the world knows that you are taught that but if WE dare say it we get Americans in a paddy saying we hate them and anyway it's all Hollywoods fault.

Ah, I don't really think it is the official line. It is the popular one, paraded when the allies dare to act in their own interest,vs the American way....
That line of thinking gave us 'Freedom Fries' among other things. Don't bother with facts that the fries were not even invented in France.....

(I overheard a lady a little while back, telling tall tales about the status of the military in Europe 'the Germans don't like us', blah blah blah....I was tempted, but bit it back, as it was a somber (somewhat) affair. but I was feeling the urge to set her straight: No Lady, the GIs are not told to not hang out the GI because the Germans hate them, but because to us the 'middle' East is the near East. Not to mention you can walk from Siberia into the heart of Europe. And we have a large population of non-Christian people. What the Germans do resent was being pushed into a corner with the 'if you are not for us you are against us' that bullied people into going places where they had no business (FWIW, it IS a huge step to have armed Bundeswehr in Afghanistan! it was verboten for many decades in the constitution!)
Anyhow, it was an officer's wife, i doubt she would have listened to have her preconceived notion dismantled.

Latest Discussions