We don't throw straight rights in street fights.

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Also, not a fan of the the open hands, "hey I don't want to fight", then sneak him.

If you don't want to fight....why are you attacking?

A fight is a sudden violent encounter. If you’re in a fight and it’s not sudden you’re probably part of the problem.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the distance in the video, you're already in punching range.

You shouldn't be throwing a punch if you're not in punching range.
While I agree, good footwork can extend 'punching range' by quite a lot.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of "sucker punch" as any punch that comes without clear warning. Doesn't necessarily mean you won't see it gathering at the last moment and maybe manage to avoid it. Granted, the classic sucker punch has so few cues, it's likely to go unnoticed until way too late.

The actual definition is
to punch (a person) suddenly without warning and often without apparent provocation

Not without CLEAR warning. Without warning. If they're threatening you, physically or verbally or whatever, it's not a sucker punch.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The actual definition is

Not without CLEAR warning. Without warning. If they're threatening you, physically or verbally or whatever, it's not a sucker punch.

I think following the words "I don't want to fight", it would suggest you are not provoked.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it's smart to use punch as your 1st attack. Your opponent's leg is always longer than your arm.

kick-counter-punch.jpg

Whatever you can make work.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the distance in the video, you're already in punching range.

You shouldn't be throwing a punch if you're not in punching range.

I am not any sort of fan of being in punching range though because it is so hard to pick that first shot.

I mean we all pat ourselves on the back thinking of throwing that sucker punch but we are also a fraction of a second off eating his.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're having a conversation about fighting, it's not a sucker punch.

The entire first half of the video is how to present yourself so you don't appear to be a threat, with your stance, the way you hold your hands and what you say, so that you can land a punch without him reacting to it. That sounds suspiciously like a sucker punch to me.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The actual definition is

I dunno. I've seen plenty of cases where guy A is beaking off some bravado to guy B, then smack him up when he goes to walk away or briefly turn his head to look who else is around.

While guy B probably shouldn't have looked away, I'd still call that a cheap shot/sucker punch.

If you want to get REALLY pedantic, the original definition of 'sucker punch' comes from old timey boxing..I think Jack Dempsey coined it as any naked right hand that hasn't been set up by a jab or a lead hok. Because only a sucker would get hit by it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire first half of the video is how to present yourself so you don't appear to be a threat, with your stance, the way you hold your hands and what you say, so that you can land a punch without him reacting to it. That sounds suspiciously like a sucker punch to me.

If you have a problem with the definition of words, I'd suggest you take it up with the folks at Merriam-Webster.

D

Deleted member 39746

Wait, arent there two definitions for sucker punches? isnt there a antiqucated one which means something like, a trap only a sucker would fall for. (in terms of boxing and hand positoning for bait) they both sort of stem from similar issues.

I cannot remmeber for the life of me the old one though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To assume that you can enter the kicking range without being kicked or swept is not realistic.

Again, in the context of the video in the OP of this thread, you are already inside kicking range when this happens.

Kicks are longer than punches and throws. Does this mean Taekwondo is the only legitimate art because nobody can get past kicking range?

If you have a problem with the definition of words, I'd suggest you take it up with the folks at Merriam-Webster.

I don't have a problem with the definition of the words themselves. I have a problem with how that definition is being applied in this case.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, arent there two definitions for sucker punches? isnt there a antiqucated one which means something like, a trap only a sucker would fall for. (in terms of boxing and hand positoning for bait) they both sort of stem from similar issues.

I cannot remmeber for the life of me the old one though.

Not sure what difference it makes. He will throw a punch and you will see it or you won't or you will throw a punch and he will see it or he won't.

Application wise you are trying to conceal the nature of all of your punches while revealing the nature of all of his.

The chess game isn't in the definition.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, in the context of the video in the OP of this thread, you are already inside kicking range when this happens.

Kicks are longer than punches and throws. Does this mean Taekwondo is the only legitimate art because nobody can get past kicking range?
One should train all 3 ranges.

kicking range -> punching range -> clinching range

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One should train all 3 ranges.

kicking range -> punching range -> clinching range

I just don't see what it has to do with this particular discussion, since the engagement is already in punching range.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just don't see what it has to do with this particular discussion, since the engagement is already in punching range.
Why will you let a "stranger" to pass through your kicking range? Why do you want to give up your 1st line defense?

Will you let a grizzly bear to be at a 10 feet distance from you?

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why will you let a "stranger" to pass through your kicking range? Why do you want to give up your 1st line defense?

Will you let a grizzly bear to be at a 10 feet distance from you?
So you just go around kicking everyone within 4 feet of you just in case do you?

Latest Discussions