We cant be taken to the ground

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 50-50 horse stance is not a proper stance to be used to against foot sweep.

It has too

- much weight that's hard to lift your foot up to "escape" a sweep.
- less weight that's not strong enough to turn your shin bone to "against" a sweep.

If you have to switch a horse stance into an empty stance, or a bow-arrow stance, you are not using horse stance.
"It has too much weight that's hard to lift your foot up to "escape" a sweep." It's not hard. Don't focus on lifting your foot. focus on lifting your knee. The ease and speed of the lift comes from lifting the knee.
This may make it clearer
  1. He steps behind my horse to destroy my stance. I move the weight to my back leg the moment he makes contact. I'm in about a 30% %70 horse stance
  2. He begins the sweeping motion with his leg. You can see the space between my leg and his leg. That space was caused from him hitting my relaxed leg. At this point he's no longer sweeping me and I just need to keep lighting that leg to continue with the flow flowing
  3. The leg that he swept is completely out of danger.
  4. I put my leg back on the ground and regain my stance while pushing him away from me.

avoid%20sweep.jpg

This improved version of this would be to go from horse stance to a cat stance. I wouldn't recommend this while in a high stance because it puts the rooted leg too close to the sweeping leg. in this case this is where the horse stance helps. It doesn't show in #1 but I was in a horse stance when he initiated the move. You can't tell here but my rooted leg stayed in one place from the time I rooted it to the end.

"It has too less weight that's not strong enough to turn your shin bone to" I'm not sure what this means. If you mean a Shin to Shin Sweep, then Shin to Shin sweeps aren't recommended because they hurt and because it takes more effort make it work. I avoid shin to shin sweeps like the plague. If you are sweeping towards my shin then you are sweeping in the same direction that my shin bends. If I see that I'm not going to be able to lift my leg fast enough, then I'll shift the weight to my back leg and relax the front leg. Because my front leg is relaxed it then flows over the sweep.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"It has too less weight that's not strong enough to turn your shin bone to" I'm not sure what this means. If you mean a Shin to Shin Sweep, then Shin to Shin sweeps aren't recommended because they hurt and because it takes more effort make it work. I avoid shin to shin sweeps like the plague. If you are sweeping towards my shin then you are sweeping in the same direction that my shin bends. If I see that I'm not going to be able to lift my leg fast enough, then I'll shift the weight to my back leg and relax the front leg. Because my front leg is relaxed it then flows over the sweep.
When your opponent sweeps or kicks you with low roundhouse kick, you should be able to twist your low leg and meet your shin bone with his shin bone. It's like 2 swords hit on each other. The strong blade will break the weak blade.

SC_bow_arrow_stance.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never stepped behind a stance and then swept. Sweep going in.

Latest Discussions