We are few but we are growing

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to all people blessed to be studying the sacred art of silat.
Just wondering how many of us is there?
What style do you study and how many in your dojo.
I study Pentjak Silat obviously mainly in the style of the Menangkabau Kingdom and wouldn't change for the world!

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"My teachers style" I suppose... which has roots in several different systems. Before the south Tampa school closed, classes were about 20 adults (not sure what that translates to as a student body... about 50?). The North Tampa school is smaller.

I

Infrazael

I'm a kung fu guy, southern fist stuff, anyways can you guys get me some Silat videos from the net?

I'm very curious about this system of MA.

Thanks guys.

PS -- I've heard Silat is low to the ground, is this in anyway similar to the southern kung fu styles?

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study 6 different styles of Pentjak Silat-

Pentjak Silat Kendang
Pentjak Silat Serak
Pentjak Silat Tjimande
Pentjak Silat Tjangkring
Pentjak Silat Petjut Kilap
Pentjak Silat Tjikampok

All of which I have the good fortune to be learning from Bapak Willem de Thouars.....

-wes tasker

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wes Tasker said:
I study 6 different styles of Pentjak Silat-

Pentjak Silat Kendang
Pentjak Silat Serak
Pentjak Silat Tjimande
Pentjak Silat Tjangkring
Pentjak Silat Petjut Kilap
Pentjak Silat Tjikampok

All of which I have the good fortune to be learning from Bapak Willem de Thouars.....

-wes tasker
From what I know of just my system remind me not to upset you!
Forgive me if I envy you but.

S

silat

Silatman,

I have been studying Silat for about 20 years now and have tried to get a look at eveything offered here in the U.S. by class participation, seminars, privates and working out with practitioners of a style.

The Systems that I have studied & learned enough to qualify as a student in are:
1. Muay Thai Silat
2. Wu-Tong Silat
3. Bakti Negara
4. Huc Chung Kuntao

now there are many styles in these systems and here are a few I can remeber:
Cimande, Harimau, Sterlak, Serak, Tjikalong, Setia Hati, Kilap, Bakti Negara, Tjimindie, Raja Hati, Monkey and Willow.

Sincerly,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

P

pekho

brothershaw said:
The real question is how come nobody teaches silat in NYC?
I know you came to our class and correctly identified our Chinese lineage, but please don't underestimate the Indonesian portion of our style. All the moves may be from China, but what we do is silat designed to be done with practitioners of silat. I have sparred with practitioners of many different styles, karate, tai-chi, wing-chung, and others, but when I sparred with a pukilan trainer I felt like our two styles fit. We did not use the same moves, but none of the moves felt strange, and we each knew how to counter the other. We are not strictly defined pencak silat, but we are still true silat, with a lineage that is more direct than most.

http://homepage.mac.com/silatnyc/

Josh

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No insult intended, particularly since I am a student of certain chinese arts.
You are one of only 3 schools in NYC that I know of that teach Indonesian based arts openly. I have actually said positive things about your school privately, although I was expecting to see something different. Again no insult intended.

G

Garuda

I am a member of Perguruan Pencak Silat Pamor Badai. And practice the styles Pamor and Badai.

Garuda...

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Silat Student said:
Selamat All,

I study Pencak Silat Pertempuran with my training partner over here on the west coast of Florida.

-Aaron
Hello Aaron.. do you study under Saudara Sean Starks? If yes, please say hello to him :)

He studied many types of Silat here in Indonesia. Two of his teachers, Pak Saleh Jusuf and Ben Haryo, are also my teachers.

Take care!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study Serak with Guru Steve Plinck. There is about a dozen students in his class in Washington, and I don't know how many scattered around the world.

S

silat

brothershaw said:
The real question is how come nobody teaches silat in NYC?

Brothershaw,

Here are a few I know of:

Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen
Tulen Center New York City
248 W 14th, #2
New York, NY 10011
212-645-6661

Perisai Diri
Silat PD School
743 8th Avenue
between 46th & 47th Street # 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10036

http://www.silatpdusa.com/

Mande Muda
Bill Econopouly
New York
918-734-6404
[email protected]

Hope this helps you, I know Silat can be hard to find!

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

Mas Nick G

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen at One With Heart Tulen Center in Portland, OR. Tulen incorporates elements of Indonesian Pentjak Silat and the Chinese Chuan Fa and Kenpo, and our basic self-defense phase (Cun Tao) is also influenced by Judo. It is a flowing art that emphasizes constant motion in fighting and whip-style striking. It is a four animal system, incorporating two from Indonesia (snake and tiger) and two from China (monkey and crane). Stances range from high to low, from aerial kicks to ground fighting. But what has been most important to me about this art is the nonphysical effect it has had on my life...though I say this with some reservation, as one can't really separate the physical from the nonphysical in a fully integrated and healthy person. The physical part of it is, indeed, very fun and interesting to me, but the changes and improvements in my life beyond that are greater than anything I could have previously imagined. I'd be very glad to talk more, and hear about other Indochinese arts, or any other martial arts at all, of which I know little or nothing.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello All!

Great to see the number of Silat Players out there!

I was introduced to Silat through my first SE Asian MA Instructor Rob Doley who studies under Guro Inosanto so it's the Maphalindo Silat Blend (Kari, some Harimaui, lots of Buhti Negara, etc.).

When I moved to a different city I found an instructor there names Hario Damar who tought myself and my training partner Nusantara Silat which is primarily a striking art (little in the way of sweeps) but did teach me the traditonal strategy of postures.

I have also been fortunate enough to attend seminars with Pak Vic, Louie Lino in Vancouver (Mande Muda) and some Harimaui as well. I also train/teach Arnis/Escrima here and incorporate Filipino Silat in my curriculum as well.

I would love to find some players in or around Boston to train with regularly!

Regards,
Rob Masson