We Are A Black Belt School

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Kaygee, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Excellent point! In the "good ol' days" in Europe, in order to get a martial arts education you had to typically be an Aristrocrat. Those were the only ones that had enough money to afford it. Eventually the Renaissance came along and there were non-Aristocrat rich who could afford martial arts training. Even in England, which was actually very "progressive" about allowing non-Aristrocrats (aka "Peasants") certain forms of martial training, you had to join the equivalent of a Guild and pay or "work it off" and you'd have to earn your promotions by fighting anyone and every one who cared to step up (and you had to advertise it with handbills you bought and posted all over town and nearby towns). Even when the Industrial Revolution started making the middle class rich enough to pay, they still had to pay "Professors" of whatever "science" they were wanting to study, join a club, or what have you. It was extremely rare for instructors to teach for free. They had this funny idea about wanting to eat almost every day and not freeze to death of exposure in the winters. The best (or at least most famous) actively lobbied high ranking Nobels (Dukes, &tc.) for the privilege of teaching their children, because being a Master of Arms on retainer with a Count or whatever is a pretty cushy job compared to being a professional stand in for duels.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    I have an honest question. How do you know how difficult it was or was not to attain a black belt?

There are a lot of myths about what a black belt is and what it takes to achieve one.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. pgsmith

pgsmith Master of Arts

In all of this, the OP has never specified what sort of martial art he is looking for. The term "Martial Arts" covers an incredibly large and diverse amount of space. It is virtually impossible to answer any questions unless things get much more specific. For instance, I've seen several variations of "martial arts instructors have to be businessmen" in this thread. While that is true for some martial arts, it is not true for others. Some, such as Japanese koryu, preclude that completely as it is impossible to do them for a living. Some can be done for very little money, some cost a lot more depending upon the situation. It varies a great deal depending upon the art, the region, and what is desired from the art.

I just hate it when people take something large and colorful like the martial arts community, and try to force it into their own black and white definitions.

4. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    No, not necessarily so. As I specifically write in the rec.martial-arts Newbie's Guide, many contracts have a "lost job" or "moving" get out of jail free card.

They usually don't bother because most newbies don't know enough about lineage to know if the instructor is making it up. If the student asks, sure, whatever. No reason not to tell, but most newbies basically only recognize the really famous practitioners. This usually goes even for experienced practitioners of other martial arts.
    It is nothing to be scared of and is dead common across almost every business in the Western World. Longer contracts mean longer guaranteed income which is, in a cost-profit balance, is worth sacrificing some slight profit margin for the ability to project revenue into the future and avoid marketing costs incurred by finding a student to fill that slot. It's the same reason Cell Phone plans give you a break if you re-up for a 2 year contract.

Testing fees are dirt common and frequently the parent organization requires a fee to register the rank, which allows the student some portability and ability to pick up and train at an affiliated school elsewhere and still have his rank recognized. There are, often yearly membership fees for parent orgs too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

I know it was difficult by gauging it on the fact that I did not have the patience to wait to be tested for it.

6. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

If had the choice from any in the world, the martial art that I would want to train in the most would be Hapkido, with Kung Fu coming in at a close second. Unfortunately, there aren't any of those types of schools within a 25-30 mile radius around me.

7. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    I'm sorry to have to tell you this but that is a really awful way to measure the worth.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

I have a really awful way of measuring or doing anything martial arts-wise.

9. Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    • MartialTalk Mentor
    Then you might want to reevaluate how you measure and do things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

Trying....

11. rframe

rframe Green Belt

Huh? I'm totally confused now..

From what I've gathered from your other posts is you are supposedly frustrated, looking for a traditional dojo where quality is more important than anything else, and you dont like seeing things watered down for the masses. You decry schools that market themselves and seek profitability.

Yet now you reveal that you think the definition of "hard" (in terms of getting a BB) is having to spend some time in rank before getting promoted?

You make no sense?

Quick honest question, do you think you are a superior martial artists and that your previous instructors just dont "get you" or are "holding you back"? Is that what is causing your anger toward other schools that you think give out black belts rapidly, is because you really wish that you had a quick path to black belt and are effectively jealous of people who got a BB from a McDojo after two years? Is it because you think you deserve to be promoted early but most other people really dont?

That sort of attitude is the only way I can make sense of your posts so far, I'm not saying that's you... but is it?

If so, just go join a McDojo and get yourself a meaningless black belt... it'll make you feel better.

12. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

You got me all wrong. Sorry, don't feel like explaining it again either.

13. pgsmith

pgsmith Master of Arts

And you know this from dojo locator dot com? Just out of curiosity, I looked at the dojo that were listed in my area on that site. Not a single one that I would have recommended was listed.

14. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Orange Belt

Kaygee,

You've lost me a bit here...

In your thread 'How far is too far' you started by saying you have a Tang Soo Do class about 25 minutes from you, if you don't have Hapkido this is a pretty good alternative - but you've said here there are no schools within a 25 mile radius.

If 25 mins is too far for you, that is probably half of your problem with not finding a class you like... Shoot, I drive around 25 minutes to the class I teach every lesson because the facility was better than closer ones... And that's only going into the next town to me. Most people who've done some serious training will have travelled for it at some point.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  15. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I looked at Dojo locator and did not see anything to support the conclusion that a 25 mile distance categorically equates to a 25 minute trip. I did a quick search in my area and a school that was described as "13.5 miles" from my home. There is no way I could make that drive in anywhere close to 13.5 minutes. Perhaps it is that distance as the proverbial crow flies, but the rest of us have to rely on an automobile ;) A quick google map of directions to the destination says the routes were 21 to 38 miles in length (depending on if you preferred highway or back roads), with all choices reporting a drive time of approx 45 minutes "in current traffic". Given its 8:15 PM here now and traffic snarls are minimal at this hour, I don't think it unreasonable to posit that such a drive could easily equate to more than one hour in the traffic associated with the evening rush.

16. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Orange Belt

Sorry Carol, the post I'm referring too actially says the school is 25 minutes from him, if as you've said above a school showing as 13.5 miles away could take 45 mins to reach, that would suggest that if he could reach this school in 25 mins it is potentially much closer - hence the lack of clarity around saying that there are no schools within a 25 mile radius...

Kaygee, have found the following in Philly searching against North East, any of these any good to you?

Have also spotted lots of Aikido classes in different locations if you fancy trying Japanese MA?

Golden Breath American Tai Chi
    More Info
    1928 Cottman Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19111
    8.3 mi
    (215) 745-4047 Directions

Rocco Mixed Martial Arts
    More Info
    1810 Grant Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19115
    11.1 mi
    (215) 778-2517 Directions

Warrior Boxing Gym
    More Info
    1209 Mifflin St
    Philadelphia, PA 19148
    1.8 mi
    (267) 348-7465 Directions

Urban Defense Center
    More Info
    725 N 6th St
    Philadelphia, PA 19123
    1.2 mi
    (267) 259-3936 Directions

Oon Karate
    More Info
    7048 Torresdale Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19135
    8.7 mi
    (215) 543-3818 Directions

Hikari
    More Info
    1040 N American St
    Philadelphia, PA 19123
    1.6 mi
    (215) 923-2654 Directions

The Lions Den Martial Arts and Fitness Center
    More Info
    7260 Frankford Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19135
    9.0 mi
    (215) 332-5466 Directions

Shin Karate
    More Info
    709 W Oregon Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19148
    2.6 mi
    (215) 468-1111 Directions

Martial Posture Martial Arts Center
    More Info
    2100 Chestnut St 2nd Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19103
    0.7 mi
    (888) 671-5672 Directions

Amerikick Karate
    More Info
    1617 Snyder Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19145
    2.0 mi
    (215) 462-2467 Directions

Tang Soo Do Karate Academy
    More Info
    7516 Haverford Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19151
    6.0 mi
    (215) 473-7900 Directions

Red Tiger Taekwon-Do
    More Info
    7530 Frankford Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19136
    9.4 mi
    (215) 332-1003 Directions

Philadelphia Uechi Ryu Karate
    More Info
    7147 Germantown Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19119
    7.5 mi
    (215) 248-4855 Directions

Amerikick Karate Studios
    More Info
    8025 Roosevelt Blvd Second Floor
    Philadelphia, PA 19152
    9.2 mi
    (215) 708-2467 Directions

Moo Duk Kwan Karate School
    More Info
    3003 Byberry Rd
    Philadelphia, PA 19154
    13.6 mi
    (215) 637-3132 Directions

International Military
    More Info
    13451 Damar Dr
    Philadelphia, PA 19116
    14.1 mi
    (215) 856-3008 Directions

Osagame Martial Arts Fitness
    More Info
    1168 S Broad St
    Philadelphia, PA 19148
    1.1 mi
    (267) 357-1262 Directions

Red Tiger TKD
    More Info
    1912 Welsh Rd
    Philadelphia, PA 19115
    10.8 mi
    (215) 969-9962 Directions

Cheung's Hung Gar Kung Fu Acad
    More Info
    1012 Cherry St # 4
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    0.4 mi
    (215) 629-1654 Directions

Philadelphia Wing Chun Kung Fu
    More Info
    117 N 10th St
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    0.5 mi
    (215) 351-6227 Directions

17. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Apologies, I misunderstood :asian:

18. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

I do appreciate you taking the time to look for me. But I have either been to these schools above, or they are down town. (I out comments in red text) Down town Philly sucks! Have you ever watched Parking Wars? If not, watch an episode or two.

19. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    What does Philadelphia have to do with "We Are a Black Belt School?"

20. Kaygee

Kaygee Blue Belt

Nothing......