WC in KC?

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a school, and an art, that I train and love but have had it stuck in my head (for a couple years now) that I am missing out by not hitting a day or two a month at a WC school.

I have google'd, and read a few reviews, but that is not the same as hearing from those of y'all that have first (or even second) hand experience with any of these places.

I am about an hour and a half West of KC (in KS). I have visited a school in Wichita (over 2hours from me) and that is kind of my plan, now. I was hoping to discover some more options I could explore in KC which would be a little closer.

On a side note - the school in Wichita is CRCA WC. I've read up on it but would like to hear some opinions on how particular variant differs from other styles being taught.

Thanks.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a side note - the school in Wichita is CRCA WC. I've read up on it but would like to hear some opinions on how particular variant differs from other styles being taught.

Thanks.

Randy Li taught Wing Chun in Overland Park Kansas many years ago. Ip Man...Ho Kam Ming....Randy Li. Very nice guy and worth seeking out.

CRCA WC is from Randy William's organization. Ip Man...Ho Kam Ming...Augustine Fong...Randy Williams. Williams has studied with others, but essentially now teaches Augustine Fong's system through his own organization.

OP
Saheim

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.

I guess Randy Li no longer teaches, in Overland. The hours of his school are listed, online, as "permanently closed".

Guess I'm making the 2+hour drive to Wichita to check out some CRCA WC.

Thanks again :)

OP
Saheim

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dale Vitts has a HFY club/school in the area.
A quick link I found for contact info:
New Page 1

Cool thanks, I'll probably give him a call.

I know very little about the school in Wichita but, oddly, have a good feeling about it.

If any of you have experience with Sifu Bailey or CRCA (beyond what I have read about its origin an founder), lemme know what to expect. Heck, even just an opinion on why CRCA was or was not a necessary adaption (from those with WC experience) would give more insight than I have now. Thanks.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck, even just an opinion on why CRCA was or was not a necessary adaption (from those with WC experience) would give more insight than I have now. Thanks.

I don't think CRCA is really any "adaptation." I would call it an "elaboration." Sifu Augustine Fong took Ho Kam Ming's curriculum and added additional drills and such to expand it a bit. Then Randy Williams took Augustine Fong's curriculum and added even more drills and such to expand it even more. But at its core it is still pretty "classical" Ip Man Wing Chun. Unless Williams has made some significant changes in recent years.

OP
Saheim

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think CRCA is really any "adaptation." I would call it an "elaboration." Sifu Augustine Fong took Ho Kam Ming's curriculum and added additional drills and such to expand it a bit. Then Randy Williams took Augustine Fong's curriculum and added even more drills and such to expand it even more. But at its core it is still pretty "classical" Ip Man Wing Chun. Unless Williams has made some significant changes in recent years.

Glad to hear that because, while I am far from a purist, I'd like to experience actual WC. All I know about CRCA is what I have found online and not having a background in WC wouldn't know how far it had veered (if it had at all).

I'm looking forward to this. Seems like something that could augment Hawaiian Kempo.

Appreciate your input!

Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions