Water or sport drinks, which do you prefer?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
donna said:
Has anyone seen the research that suggests that chocolate milk is just as good, if not better than many sports type drinks?
http://www.milknewsroom.com/downloads/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf

Sounds like a campaign by the dairy farmers of America, it does a body good and all that stuff. And isn't very pleasant if you happen to be lactose intolerant, or for the folks around you....

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I dont think I could get into it myself, But it even made the news here in Australia two nights back, seems they are trying to encourage parents to get their kids into choc milk rather than high sodium, high sugar sports drinks for their after sports recovery.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
donna said:
Personally I dont think I could get into it myself, But it even made the news here in Australia two nights back, seems they are trying to encourage parents to get their kids into choc milk rather than high sodium, high sugar sports drinks for their after sports recovery.

Gah!! A fast, cheap fix is watered down fruit juice. Sports drinks for their own sake aren't much better, really, full strength than soda except they don't have carbonation. Meh. chocolate milk.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best thing you can do to rehydrate yourself after a workout is mix half water with half apple juice, and add a little salt. If you're dehydreated because you are sweating too much, you're loosing things other than water. Consequently, you need something more. But I'm not a fan of the sugar-aids.(although I do like the flavor)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After a really tough workout, you know the type, where every inch of your skin feels bruised and every joint in your body feels like it's been dislocated, I follow famed sports nutritionists George Thurogoods advice: One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

Sorry, couldn't help it, just heard the song.

Jeff

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
After a really tough workout, you know the type, where every inch of your skin feels bruised and every joint in your body feels like it's been dislocated, I follow famed sports nutritionists George Thurogoods advice: One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

Sorry, couldn't help it, just heard the song.

Jeff

George'd tell ya that's Johnny Lee Hooker's "advice," originally......

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's water for me. I drink it more than anything else. Working out or not. Occasionally I'll drink Gatorade in the summer during work outs, but mainly water.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I am a big fan of water when working out. I can't really even imagine drinking one of those power drinks, they taste too sweet to me.

How about you? Water or a sport drink. Which sport drink do you prefer?

Water all the way baby!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Sodas are evil twice.

Nah. Looking at the ressearch, there's a lot of myth and not a lot of validity to the whole soda is evil claim.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Nah. Looking at the ressearch, there's a lot of myth and not a lot of validity to the whole soda is evil claim.
Really? Got some links? I'd be very interested in digging into that. Thanks!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Marginal said:

Caffeine and sugar are an insidious combination that combine to confuse the body's adrenal system. Most sodas contain both.

Looking at the research, note that the soda that you love so much can hurt you in several ways,as seen here :

Dr. William Sears said:
Provides sugar (food) to harmful bacteria and yeast causing acidity
in blood which leeches Ca/P out of bone, causing immune reactions in
gut that inflame gut wall, causing harmful gut material to leak into
blood, and causing the immune system to become more sensitive and
become more allergic.

Injects phosphoric acid into blood, which leeches Ca/P out of bone.

The Phosphoric Acid in soda leeches metal out of dental amalgam,
especially copper Amalgam used in Finland, Norway, and Germany prior

Soft drinks that contain citric and phosphoric acid can decrease the
absorption of calcium. A 12-ounce cola may rob the body of 100
milligrams of calcium.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I throw in my lot with elder. Carbination can do some wicked things too.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Really? Got some links? I'd be very interested in digging into that. Thanks!

I just ran searches on pubmed.com one weekend a while back. I got curious since people kept saying how terrible coke was, but nobody seemed to know much more than "It's bad, terrible, worse than everything" I stopped drinking anything but water prior to doing this, but after several months, I saw no benefits, no health improvements etc. Just a whole lot of unenjoyable fluid. I figured for an extra six months of life (assuming of course that every dire prediction is true) as a decrepit old man (which is ultimately the case regardless), it wasn't worth the trade.

A lotta the stuff being currently pushed by healthy living life coaches is total bunk. Phosphoric acid? It's in extremely low concentrations. Far too low for the results claimed. At best, drinking orange juice should also be considered a deadly activity in that case. http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/coke.html People being constantly dehydrated due to coke consumption. Nope. Doesn't happen. Didn't find any studies that demonstrated caffine's destructive traits etc.

What is "harmful gut material"? The study there sounds really medical and scientific...

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
What is "harmful gut material"? The study there sounds really medical and scientific...

What are you talking about/referencing? There's all kinds of harmful gut material, but you have it in quotes ... reference, please?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went to a performance enhancing workshop today put on by Sport Manitoba. Part of the discussion was how to properly hydrate your athletes during training and competition.

The general basis for hydration was:

150 to 200 ml of water which the speaker translated into three large "glugs" of water ever 10 to 15 minutes of moderate to high physical activities.

We discussed "sugary" sports drinks and although he felt they had their place, unless your workout/competition was going to be stressfull and long (+2 hours) you should continue to hydrate with water and only use sugary glucose drinks these extreme cases.

Figured I would share :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
What are you talking about/referencing? There's all kinds of harmful gut material, but you have it in quotes ... reference, please?

Sorry, got into a tangent. It's in elder999's post.

Latest Discussions