Water is your friend.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure gatorade was invented for dumping on coaches after a championship win. Not sure it was ever meant for consumption. At least not by my taste buds. :)

GatoradeBelichick.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep big fan of water (if that's a thing?). During the sessions in my old style every now and then we may had a quick drink break, but we rarely did. Before/during/after training it was usually between 1 and 2 litres total.

Like others have said, I consider during the day and pre-hydration more important. But I also think alot of people may underestimate how much water they actually need (can't really remember the "how much water you need" equation, there are a few out there! Something like a minimum half your bodyweight in ounces, more if you're an athlete). Just from my own observations, not concrete.

I tended to go nuts with hydration prior to a grading, the few days prior I'd up it to 5-7 litres (I have NO idea how the OP does 8L!!!), and to be honest I don't think it helped to go too high, it actually made me feel sick and my stomach hurt, so wasn't good for performance. But those were tough, tough gradings, and I needed to make sure i was hydrated haha.

Also a fan of electrolyte drinks that I'll mix up for gradings, touraments, or big training seminar days. Even if they're not necessary, I tend to over prepare, I like the feeling that I'm stocked and fueled up ;)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also a fan of electrolyte drinks that I'll mix up for gradings, touraments, or big training seminar days. Even if they're not necessary, I tend to over prepare, I like the feeling that I'm stocked and fueled up ;)
Different strokes for different folks and I personally like the taste of sports drinks BUT their value towards hydration is still hotly contested depending on who you listen too. Water is still the best for me in terms of hydration and doesn't have sugar added to make it taste sweeter. That being said, there is something to be said about the confidence one gets when they feel 'stocked and fueled up' so if these drinks do that for you, it's all good.

By the way, not surprised you didn't feel well after drinking 5-7 litres of water before a competition. There is such a thing as overdosing on water.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of those joggers is psychological, to be honest. And it doesn’t help that - conspiracy theorist coming warning - companies like Gatorade are pushing their products in a kind of instilling fear way and also a way that duped them into thinking Gatorade and the like is going to help them go longer and harder.

There is a lot of truth to this. I recall a study using professional athletes (I don't recall what sport, but full-time training at a high level of intensity). They checked electrolytes in the morning and after they'd done a full days training. It included both water only and Gatorade-type drinks. The conclusion was that even at that level, working out had zero significant impact on their electrolytes. If that is true of someone training at that level, it's somewhat ludicrous to think the sort of workout the rest of the world does is somehow going to deplete electrolytes.

The real benefit to sports drinks is if you’re cramping, and recovery IMO. But eat and drink appropriately before and after, and there’s no need. It tastes good though :) I’m not hatin’.

Sure. Those sports drinks are just expensive water. But given the prices some people pay for their favorite brand of bottled tap water...

For my own part, I do keep something to drink around all the time. Not because I think I'm getting dehydrated while teaching, though. It's because after all the surgery/chemo/radiation on my throat, I don't have a lot of functioning salivary glands left. So I get cotton mouth really quickly when I'm teaching.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How does drinking water impact stamina? Something about the water, or just the idea that you're taking a break from whatever activity you're doing in order to drink?
Have you never been dehydrated? It drains the life out of you, literally. That is why you see pro athletes drinking from water bottles on the sidelines and at every timeout.
I don't interrupt my workout to drink a gallon of water, but get a swig when it is appropriate.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you never been dehydrated? It drains the life out of you, literally. That is why you see pro athletes drinking from water bottles on the sidelines and at every timeout.
I don't interrupt my workout to drink a gallon of water, but get a swig when it is appropriate.
I meant in terms of not drinking water in order to improve stamina. I get being dehydrated can suck, but I don't think not drinking water is an effective way to improve stamina.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a lot of truth to this. I recall a study using professional athletes (I don't recall what sport, but full-time training at a high level of intensity). They checked electrolytes in the morning and after they'd done a full days training. It included both water only and Gatorade-type drinks. The conclusion was that even at that level, working out had zero significant impact on their electrolytes. If that is true of someone training at that level, it's somewhat ludicrous to think the sort of workout the rest of the world does is somehow going to deplete electrolytes.

Sure. Those sports drinks are just expensive water. But given the prices some people pay for their favorite brand of bottled tap water...

For my own part, I do keep something to drink around all the time. Not because I think I'm getting dehydrated while teaching, though. It's because after all the surgery/chemo/radiation on my throat, I don't have a lot of functioning salivary glands left. So I get cotton mouth really quickly when I'm teaching.
This post makes me think back to when we baled only square bales and did it all by hand. Around 4000/yr. If you didn't drink water often through the day you were going to drop out or not be much help. I guess this is like comparing a marathon to a sprint. Surely the marathon runner need more water over time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I meant in terms of not drinking water in order to improve stamina. I get being dehydrated can suck, but I don't think not drinking water is an effective way to improve stamina.
I think is may improve your ability to deal with a certain type of resistance but I don't think that has anything to do with stamina.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of those joggers is psychological, to be honest. And it doesn’t help that - conspiracy theorist coming warning - companies like Gatorade are pushing their products in a kind of instilling fear way and also a way that duped them into thinking Gatorade and the like is going to help them go longer and harder.

There have been so many studies that show sports drinks only help endurance athletes who are going for prolonged periods of time. Think marathon runners. And the amount it helps them perform isn’t anything to write home about.

Gatorade funds a ton of scientific research. IMO kind of like the tobacco companies funding smokers’ health research.

Conspiracy theorist rant over. I think ;)

The real benefit to sports drinks is if you’re cramping, and recovery IMO. But eat and drink appropriately before and after, and there’s no need. It tastes good though :) I’m not hatin’.
Yeah, Gatorade (and other analogs) is overused. I tend to use some sort of electrolyte drink in rehydration after exercise, mostly because I figure it can't hurt much, and probably has a chance of avoiding a post-workout increase the stupid cramping my legs and hands have decided is a good idea.

And I'm pretty sure any effect I get from it is is pretty minimal, except in my sweatiest of workouts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks and I personally like the taste of sports drinks BUT their value towards hydration is still hotly contested depending on who you listen too. Water is still the best for me in terms of hydration and doesn't have sugar added to make it taste sweeter. That being said, there is something to be said about the confidence one gets when they feel 'stocked and fueled up' so if these drinks do that for you, it's all good.

By the way, not surprised you didn't feel well after drinking 5-7 litres of water before a competition. There is such a thing as overdosing on water.
Yeah, I like the taste, too. When I played golf a lot, it's what I drank if it was even a little hot. Because, you know, golf and all that exertion.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Gatorade (and other analogs) is overused. I tend to use some sort of electrolyte drink in rehydration after exercise, mostly because I figure it can't hurt much, and probably has a chance of avoiding a post-workout increase the stupid cramping my legs and hands have decided is a good idea.

And I'm pretty sure any effect I get from it is is pretty minimal, except in my sweatiest of workouts.
Have you examined how much water you drink days leading up to your workouts ? The leading cause of cramping is dehydration but dehydration generally doesn’t occur in a severe workout if you were properly hydrated to start. If you are drinking 2 litres a day before a strenuous activity, all things being equal, there shouldn’t be much cramping from dehydration.

Perhaps it is the nature of your workout as well ? Some forms of overuse can cause cramping in hands but you are probably a better judge of that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you examined how much water you drink days leading up to your workouts ? The leading cause of cramping is dehydration but dehydration generally doesn’t occur in a severe workout if you were properly hydrated to start. If you are drinking 2 litres a day before a strenuous activity, all things being equal, there shouldn’t be much cramping from dehydration.

Perhaps it is the nature of your workout as well ? Some forms of overuse can cause cramping in hands but you are probably a better judge of that.
I rarely - if ever - cramp in a hard workout. It's more likely to happen during kneeling for a bow, moving into a Yoga pose, or something like that. I'm not good at staying hydrated - somewhere along the line, I lost my "thirst" cues. So, it's possible my cramping is from dehydration. I also wonder if they're due to some deficiency (why I hope, but don't trust, the electrolytes might help).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm even a fan of having sugar in a drink, even if it helps marginally I don't mind. I still think electrolyte drinks have their place, but yeah perhaps it is pushed a bit much. But yeah, mixed studies too.

One thing that I've come to learn though: to not get too obsessed with perfect nutrition regarding an upcoming event. I used to be too obsessed to the point where I'd freak out if I didn't have 'x' or 'y', and it just stressed me more and obviously didn't help. I just use it to supplement and assist, but if it ain't perfectly optimised, it's COOL XD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post makes me think back to when we baled only square bales and did it all by hand. Around 4000/yr. If you didn't drink water often through the day you were going to drop out or not be much help. I guess this is like comparing a marathon to a sprint. Surely the marathon runner need more water over time.

Both should drink plenty of water. It's the electrolyte mixes that are nothing but snake oil.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both should drink plenty of water. It's the electrolyte mixes that are nothing but snake oil.
I wouldn’t say complete snake oil, but close to it. I guess there’s something to it when trying to avoid hyponatremia. There were a few marathon runners who died or were close to it several years back, giving it a lot of press.

But yeah, it’s about 99.9% snake oil.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say complete snake oil, but close to it. I guess there’s something to it when trying to avoid hyponatremia. There were a few marathon runners who died or were close to it several years back, giving it a lot of press.

But yeah, it’s about 99.9% snake oil.
Tasty, tasty snake oil.

Latest Discussions