Water is your friend.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Osu! I'm glad to already find others training Kyokushin, it is my main point of joining this forum tonight.
I am training in Sweden, so we are far from eachother, but if your profile is correct you have graded 10th kyu? My congratulations, my grading is yet to come! If you want to have a chat, feel free to message me, so we don't litter the forum post.
The belt rank on here isn't your actual rank, it's just how many times you've posted. Confuses a ton of people at first.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In our normal classes, 1 hour session, our master doesn't let us drink water (unless it's an emergency). He wants us to build up our stamina.

In our Taekwondo sparring class, which is a bit higher physical demand and is a bit longer, we get a few water breaks.
How does drinking water impact stamina? Something about the water, or just the idea that you're taking a break from whatever activity you're doing in order to drink?

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How does drinking water impact stamina? Something about the water, or just the idea that you're taking a break from whatever activity you're doing in order to drink?

I drink tons of water throughout the day, but not during class unless it’s dire. When I work out, I think of it like, if you don’t need it, don’t drink it. The stamina, in my opinion, is similar to stamina for pain. Building general body tolerance. We do martial arts partially to protect ourselves for that instance we are attacked. Similarly, we learn to be thirsty during safe periods of time for those instances when water isn’t available and you have to sweat.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Maybe "stamina" isn't the right word, but my Master tends to make up and re-purpose words sometimes.

It's a combination of tolerance and patience. When you feel slightly thirsty, you usually aren't in immediate need of water. Only when we're doing something really strenuous, when it's a hot day, when someone is sick, or when someone is in class for over an hour is when we get water. And even then usually during a good moment, like when we're doing something for another belt level.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also Hydration for Athletes - familydoctor.org

This idea that drinking water impacts stamina is old school and detrimental IMO. That's the reason for my question...I can see the idea that you shouldn't have water 'breaks', but if someone needs water, let them drink water.

The exception would be if your class never works up enough of a sweat to need water, which is another issue all on its own.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hydration is important. We just don't take breaks in the middle of class, usually.

Also Hydration for Athletes - familydoctor.org

This idea that drinking water impacts stamina is old school and detrimental IMO. That's the reason for my question...I can see the idea that you shouldn't have water 'breaks', but if someone needs water, let them drink water.

The exception would be if your class never works up enough of a sweat to need water, which is another issue all on its own.

This. We drink before class and after class. My master stresses the importance of hydration. But during a typical class we don't have water breaks.

We don't let people go if they want water. We do if they need water.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hydration is important. We just don't take breaks in the middle of class, usually.

This. We drink before class and after class. My master stresses the importance of hydration. But during a typical class we don't have water breaks.

We don't let people go if they want water. We do if they need water.
As long as water is being drunk(drank?) somewhere in there. That's what's important overall.

Beyond the health risks, having people faint during class isn't very good for business :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago we had a soldier die because he disobeyed the PTIs when they said take water and drink it while out tabbing ( running) it was hot and he was heard boasting he didn't need water, he was 'hard'. However after running for miles on a hot day he collapsed in a bad way, what didn't help was a young officer giving him water to drink as rather than help it made things worse. The army doctors have since ordered that when in the gym or running soldiers need to hydrate, we allow it when training, why not? It's not character building to collapse through dehydration. It does nothing for stamina whatsoever.

One thing to consider is dehydration and strikes to the head, when you are dehydrated the fluid around your brain lessens leaving you open to taking more damage when struck on the head, it doesn't need to be hard.

If you wait until you 'need' water, you've waited too long.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest, I don’t think that’s smart training, especially if it is hot weather/environment. I’m not saying you need to drink a certain amount of water. But when training and sweating, you need to replenish your fluids as you go. Denying yourself that is not a smart “character building” exercise. There are very real health risks involved, like heat stroke.
I’m an athletic trainer. Athletic training is sports medicine, not personal training for those who aren’t aware of the profession. I have a lot of training and experience with proper hydration.

Dehydration and the other stuff that goes along with it gets plenty of press when things go wrong. Honestly, human bodies are far more resilient than we give them credit for. Quite often with the cases of dehydration/heat related deaths, there were other factors at play. The heat and water definitely exacerbated it though.

Training intensity, duration, heat index (heat and humidity), physical condition, and pre-activity hydration all must be taken into account. But if you’re well hydrated before training, are in average shape, don’t have any underlying health issues, aren’t taking anything that dehydrates you (like some prescription meds), and you’re going for an hour and a half at a moderate pace; you shouldn’t have any problems. You should obviously listen to your body and be conscientious of symptoms - Dizziness, shaking, etc.

I train for an hour and a half. Sometimes it’s pretty hot in there, especially during the summer. I sweat far more than anyone else in the dojo. My gi is always soaked afterwards. For reference, my wife picked up my gi one time after I came home from class one time and asked if it was ready to go in the dryer - by how wet it was, she thought I just pulled it out of the washer. And I’ve never had to stop for a drink. Never felt any symptoms of dehydration.

For the record, we’re allowed to bring water. We can keep a bottle right on the floor out of the way. No ones ever been told they can’t drink. Hardly anyone ever has taken a drink.

Moral of the story, push yourself, but don’t be stupid. Listen to your body.

Furthermore, many experts say if you’re thirsty, you’ve been dehydrated for longer than you think. And water doesn’t absorb instantly.

I used to weigh athletes in and out of practice. They’d come into the training room and step on the scale. After practice, they’d get changed into dry and similar clothing, and weigh themselves again. Then they’d be responsible to drink the amount of water they lost during practice. I’ve had to deal with heat/dehydration issues during my career. Especially during fall pre-season - football, soccer, etc. There were a fair number of times I had to pull someone off the field and get them into a cool place and get them drinking, but if you’re looking at the number of people practicing and all the other stats, it wasn’t much at all from a numbers standpoint. And most often, they didn’t drink AND eat correctly beforehand. People tend to forget about the eating part of the equation.

The point, I guess, I’d be smart. But don’t think that if you don’t drink as soon as you get a little thirsty of hot that you’re going to die :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hydrate prior, hydrate during, hydrate afterwards.
First sign of needing water is if you are having to lick your lips. You shouldn't be at the point of 'needing' water if you hydrate properly.
When your body feels thirsty it is saying it is already dehydrated.
When drinking water it takes approximately 10 minutes for the body to begin absorbing water and approximately 90 to 120 minutes to completely absorb what you take in. If you are thirsty and drink some water and continue to workout you will absorb some but continue to lose water and so the body really doesn't get hydrated until a couple of hours after the workout.
Hydrate early, during, and afterwards.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I live in a hot climate. Sometimes at work it can get so hot it isn't funny, nasty hot, especially wearing all the gear we wear, and wearing dark uniforms out in the sun. All of us consume lots and lots of water. We do it all shift long.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m an athletic trainer. Athletic training is sports medicine, not personal training for those who aren’t aware of the profession. I have a lot of training and experience with proper hydration.

Dehydration and the other stuff that goes along with it gets plenty of press when things go wrong. Honestly, human bodies are far more resilient than we give them credit for. Quite often with the cases of dehydration/heat related deaths, there were other factors at play. The heat and water definitely exacerbated it though.

Training intensity, duration, heat index (heat and humidity), physical condition, and pre-activity hydration all must be taken into account. But if you’re well hydrated before training, are in average shape, don’t have any underlying health issues, aren’t taking anything that dehydrates you (like some prescription meds), and you’re going for an hour and a half at a moderate pace; you shouldn’t have any problems. You should obviously listen to your body and be conscientious of symptoms - Dizziness, shaking, etc.

I train for an hour and a half. Sometimes it’s pretty hot in there, especially during the summer. I sweat far more than anyone else in the dojo. My gi is always soaked afterwards. For reference, my wife picked up my gi one time after I came home from class one time and asked if it was ready to go in the dryer - by how wet it was, she thought I just pulled it out of the washer. And I’ve never had to stop for a drink. Never felt any symptoms of dehydration.

For the record, we’re allowed to bring water. We can keep a bottle right on the floor out of the way. No ones ever been told they can’t drink. Hardly anyone ever has taken a drink.

Moral of the story, push yourself, but don’t be stupid. Listen to your body.

Furthermore, many experts say if you’re thirsty, you’ve been dehydrated for longer than you think. And water doesn’t absorb instantly.

I used to weigh athletes in and out of practice. They’d come into the training room and step on the scale. After practice, they’d get changed into dry and similar clothing, and weigh themselves again. Then they’d be responsible to drink the amount of water they lost during practice. I’ve had to deal with heat/dehydration issues during my career. Especially during fall pre-season - football, soccer, etc. There were a fair number of times I had to pull someone off the field and get them into a cool place and get them drinking, but if you’re looking at the number of people practicing and all the other stats, it wasn’t much at all from a numbers standpoint. And most often, they didn’t drink AND eat correctly beforehand. People tend to forget about the eating part of the equation.

The point, I guess, I’d be smart. But don’t think that if you don’t drink as soon as you get a little thirsty of hot that you’re going to die :)
I don’t find anything here to disagree with and recognize that there are some perception issues in the discussion.

I was immediately recalling a training session I had very early in my capoeira training, outside in the broad sunlight, temperature well into the 90s with high humidity, for about four hours. I neglected to bring water and there was no source nearby such as a bubbler. About halfway through another member brought a limited amount of water the we shared out, and that was it. When it was over i hobbled back to the dorm (university of Wisconsin) and collapsed into bed. I suspect I was very close to a serious heat/dehydration issue.

Most people do not train for that long or under those conditions. Shorter sessions, less intense sessions, and cooler conditions all aleviate the need to drink water.

I am also reminded of people I see out for a daily jog. The temperature is below 70, sometimes below 60, I suspect they are running for no more than a half hour, but certainly no more than an hour, and at a very moderate pace. And yet these people are suited up with a camelback or other wearable hydration system and I cannot help but think that they should have no need for it. Under these conditions they should definitely be able to complete their run without drinking until the end.

So there are extremes and the bottom line is, listen to your body and pay attention to the clues it is giving you. Sometimes you are being warned of dangers, but often you’ve got plenty of time to work through it before it becomes dangerous.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I live in a hot climate. Sometimes at work it can get so hot it isn't funny, nasty hot, especially wearing all the gear we wear, and wearing dark uniforms out in the sun. All of us consume lots and lots of water. We do it all shift long.
Somehow I always get more thirsty at work than I do in the dojo. Yeah, as a teacher I’m standing and walking around all day, but that’s nothing like what I’m doing in the dojo. Honestly, I’ve never had the urge to drink when I’m there. At work I fill my 1l water bottle no less than 3 times, including lunch. Weird.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t find anything here to disagree with and recognize that there are some perception issues in the discussion.

I was immediately recalling a training session I had very early in my capoeira training, outside in the broad sunlight, temperature well into the 90s with high humidity, for about four hours. I neglected to bring water and there was no source nearby such as a bubbler. About halfway through another member brought a limited amount of water the we shared out, and that was it. When it was over i hobbled back to the dorm (university of Wisconsin) and collapsed into bed. I suspect I was very close to a serious heat/dehydration issue.

Most people do not train for that long or under those conditions. Shorter sessions, less intense sessions, and cooler conditions all aleviate the need to drink water.

I am also reminded of people I see out for a daily jog. The temperature is below 70, sometimes below 60, I suspect they are running for no more than a half hour, but certainly no more than an hour, and at a very moderate pace. And yet these people are suited up with a camelback or other wearable hydration system and I cannot help but think that they should have no need for it. Under these conditions they should definitely be able to complete their run without drinking until the end.

So there are extremes and the bottom line is, listen to your body and pay attention to the clues it is giving you. Sometimes you are being warned of dangers, but often you’ve got plenty of time to work through it before it becomes dangerous.
I think part of those joggers is psychological, to be honest. And it doesn’t help that - conspiracy theorist coming warning - companies like Gatorade are pushing their products in a kind of instilling fear way and also a way that duped them into thinking Gatorade and the like is going to help them go longer and harder.

There have been so many studies that show sports drinks only help endurance athletes who are going for prolonged periods of time. Think marathon runners. And the amount it helps them perform isn’t anything to write home about.

Gatorade funds a ton of scientific research. IMO kind of like the tobacco companies funding smokers’ health research.

Conspiracy theorist rant over. I think ;)

The real benefit to sports drinks is if you’re cramping, and recovery IMO. But eat and drink appropriately before and after, and there’s no need. It tastes good though :) I’m not hatin’.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think part of those joggers is psychological, to be honest. And it doesn’t help that - conspiracy theorist coming warning - companies like Gatorade are pushing their products in a kind of instilling fear way and also a way that duped them into thinking Gatorade and the like is going to help them go longer and harder.

There have been so many studies that show sports drinks only help endurance athletes who are going for prolonged periods of time. Think marathon runners. And the amount it helps them perform isn’t anything to write home about.

Gatorade funds a ton of scientific research. IMO kind of like the tobacco companies funding smokers’ health research.

Conspiracy theorist rant over. I think ;)
Yeah I have had similar thoughts. Somehow people are taught that everything in life, especially anything that requires some physical exertion is immediately dangerous so we need to gear up to get through it. The gatorade is a good example, and heavy pushing to get a doctors approval for any level of sports participation or if you need to walk more than a quarter mile in a day. I guess everyone is afraid that they might be held responsible if someone on their team has a heart-attack in the middle of a game or something. My gawd, how did our ancestors prior to a generation ago even survive??

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I have had similar thoughts. Somehow people are taught that everything in life, especially anything that requires some physical exertion is immediately dangerous so we need to gear up to get through it. The gatorade is a good example, and heavy pushing to get a doctors approval for any level of sports participation or if you need to walk more than a quarter mile in a day. I guess everyone is afraid that they might be held responsible if someone on their team has a heart-attack in the middle of a game or something. My gawd, how did our ancestors prior to a generation ago even survive??
People die playing sports. The only thing you can do is your due diligence to cover your a$$. I never had an athlete collapse, but a few of my athletic trainer friends have. We’re talking college athletes too. Everyone is given a pre-season physical annually. The ones that died (except severe head trauma) all had either a condition that wasn’t picked up on or had something in their system.

It’s usually a heart valve defect or the like, or sickle cell issues. NCAA has really pushed sickle cell trait testing, but it’s optional for athletes.

But college-level and above participation is an entirely different thing. People know, or at least should know, if they’re healthy enough to jog for 30 minutes and the like.

Then again, I guess more people should be checked out. There’s plenty of things that aren’t very obvious. Like everything in life, there’s a balance somewhere and somehow. No idea where it is, although people are way too scared of everything these days. The good old Information Age where some freak thing happens somewhere and everyone thinks it’ll happen to them too. And the story they hear is never the complete truth.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see, I guess I drink water like a man possessed, around 8 L per day.
Certainly not a bad thing. I am 55 and have been told my body no longer processes liquids like it should and I have to work at staying out of mild dehydration. Some diabetes derivative that doesn't require medication. I should follow the "8 glasses/day" recommendation. If I may ask, what part of the world do you live in (hot climate) and how old are you? In my competition days I stayed around 1 gallon of water/gaterade per day when not training. When training it was closer to 2 gallons total. I sweat like crazy. Always have.

Latest Discussions