Water Bottles and Training

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never tried this out, but I've heard more than one person use soda/water bottles filled with water and hung from a tree, used as practice targets for escrima/kali/arnis training with a bolo/machete.

Apparently, cutting through one of the bottles is supposed to simulate slicing through a human body.

Does anyone know about this? If so, is that even practical? Does it damage the weapon?

Any suggestions for alternative methods?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never tried this out, but I've heard more than one person use soda/water bottles filled with water and hung from a tree, used as practice targets for escrima/kali/arnis training with a bolo/machete.

Apparently, cutting through one of the bottles is supposed to simulate slicing through a human body.

Does anyone know about this? If so, is that even practical? Does it damage the weapon?

I did see a gentleman on Youtube do this looked pretty good, it is an alternative for training.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plastic gallon milk jug, with lid on.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of sword folks use plastic 2 liter bottles, filled with water, for cutting drills. It's really not harmful to a decent blade, as long as the cutter is excercising good fundamental technique. If anything, it's a fun thing to try, and you can get some interesting effects by using a bit of red food coloring in the water. :)

You do, however, need to wipe down and re-oil your blades after you're done, since carbon steel will corrode.

If you do get some spots, then a bit of Flitz or Maas metal polish, followed up by some gentle buffing, and then a re-oiling, will fix things quite nicely.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use 2 liter bottles often as punching items. I fill them 2/3's with water and hang them from a tree.
I recommend it to my students as it is free to make (if you pull the items out of the trash can).

AoG

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Water bottles are great, particularly the four-litre ones you can get from Culligan's. Of course some milk jugs are identical to the Culligan jugs. They have a nice consistency that enables a good cut.

2-litre Coke bottles and the like are abysmal for cutting. Far too bouncy.

Ordinary milk cartons are pretty OK for cutting too. Detergent jugs are really nice to cut... very beefy and satisfying.

Best regards,

-Mark

Latest Discussions