was the instructor trying injure me?

jeff_78632

White Belt
Reaction score
was doing a kick boxing class and the student i was paired up with had a strong roundhouse kick, i was holding thai pads for him. i told the student to kick lighter and he did as it was hurting my arms, but instructor came along and edged him to kick harder even when student said yea he cant handle the kick . i could take it for 6 kicks but after that my arms started to really hurt. i evaded one kick as it was too hard and instructor said you need toughen up.

i think instructor was trying in injure me. my arm is bruised also got feeling instructor doesnt like me as he didnt come along and give me pointers in my technique but he did with other studentss

whats your thoughts.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t be injured though the Thai pads. It can hurt a bit at first, especially if the pads are worn out and your partner is a strong kicker, but it won’t actually damage you and your body will adapt. I expect that your instructor knows the difference between discomfort and injury.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm seconding what Tony said. You may not like the feeling, but it probably went away after a bit of not holding the pads. Some level of pain is to be expected, that's part of body conditioning.

If you get some serious bruises from it, or it's still hurting the next day, I would talk to your instructor about it before/after class.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No he's right. It's a pad why should the guy lighten up his training that's the point of pads so you can kick 100%. The instructor did nothing wrong

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you really operating under the delusion that you can train any sort of martial art without getting bruises?
The instructor is right. Suck it up, Buttercup.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You shouldn’t be injured though the Thai pads. It can hurt a bit at first, especially if the pads are worn out and your partner is a strong kicker, but it won’t actually damage you and your body will adapt. I expect that your instructor knows the difference between discomfort and injury.

You can be if a guy can really murder a kick.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
was doing a kick boxing class and the student i was paired up with had a strong roundhouse kick, i was holding thai pads for him. i told the student to kick lighter and he did as it was hurting my arms, but instructor came along and edged him to kick harder even when student said yea he cant handle the kick . i could take it for 6 kicks but after that my arms started to really hurt. i evaded one kick as it was too hard and instructor said you need toughen up.

i think instructor was trying in injure me. my arm is bruised also got feeling instructor doesnt like me as he didnt come along and give me pointers in my technique but he did with other studentss

whats your thoughts.
That’s hard to tell if he thinks you can absorb more than you think you can, or if actually he does not want you there.

I would give the benefit of doubt; you (or your instructor) may change opinion. But I also quit at first injury (bruises and muscles hurting are fine, not articulations or concussions).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Jeff.

Might I suggest a man bun. Instructors dig that.

D

Deleted member 39746

Might I suggest a man bun.

What about a buzzcut? Certain ones might like that better.

I really dont know the scope for bruises as a injury, but shouldn't they lower the force if asked to, to some extent or make a effort to?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I really dont know the scope for bruises as a injury, but shouldn't they lower the force if asked to, to some extent or make a effort to?
No because they're doing pad work..not sparring. Pads are there to be hit at 100% why should that guy not get proper workout. Plus if he can't even deal with holding pads how's he going to handle getting kicked. You've got to toughen up that's the learning curve

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely not. The whole point of pad work is to develop the ability to strike with power. Not a little power. All the power.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

whats your thoughts.
No, the instructor was not trying to hurt you. More than likely he was trying to show you what you are in for if you train in that class/school. Your body will adapt to the work if you put the time and energy into your training but you need to decide if this is the right place for you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

whats your thoughts.
1st off...how long have you been training or holding pads?
What about the person kicking?

I never have beginners hold for good kickers who are kicking 'hard'.
Why?
1. They don't know how to hold or feed the pads correctly and someone is going to get hurt. More often it's the kicker. So I have beginners hold for seasoned kickers as a warm up so the seasoned kicker can help the beginner while learning the timing on holding for kicks and no one gets hurt.
2. They aren't tempered to hold for 'hard' kickers. A few bruises on the arms isn't the problem. Bone bruises to arms and ribs will prevent one from wanting to train. Tempering is a process and happens over time.
3. Improper feeding or holding of the pads can jack up a beginner's shoulders and not having the timing to be in the proper position can again cause injury to either the holder or the kicker.

Hold for others in your level and grow from there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

whats your thoughts.
yes he was trying to injure you, not badly and possibly in his mind for your own good, I have the same issue of fellow students complaining of pain if I hit a pad at full force, so generally I dont, I've also been on the receiving end of blows that cause mild pain even through a pad. which I then return when it's their turn to hold and then some of them complain . it seems the modern world that people complain ,! perhaps he doesn't like you as your soft and bringing his class into disrepute

you either need to find a class that has a lighter touch, theres a lot of them about and really MT is the very wrong choice for you. or you nneed to toughen uyou how are you going to take a kick with no pad if you cant stand the pain with a pad

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

whats your thoughts.

Sounds like you need more practice holding the pads.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes people aren't used to discomfort (which doesn't usually signal injury), and will ask to back off because it doesn't feel good. But many things require discomfort, including body conditioning.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes people aren't used to discomfort (which doesn't usually signal injury), and will ask to back off because it doesn't feel good. But many things require discomfort, including body conditioning.
I firmly believe if something isn't sore after training, you need to train harder. Sometimes it sore muscles, sometimes it's bruising.

There are several people I train with(one of which is a 5 foot nothing girl) that can(and do) leave bruises on my ribs with round kicks THROUGH the thick as heck heavy duty kickshield.

It is what it is.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe there’s a lot of gray area here. For kicking paddle targets power shouldn’t be an issue. Accuracy is the key to not hurting a training partner. For kicking shields or Thai pads, I believe the size and experience of the kicker and holder is important. Abusing a partner who isn’t comfortable with the level of contact is a dick move, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe there’s a lot of gray area here. For kicking paddle targets power shouldn’t be an issue. Accuracy is the key to not hurting a training partner. For kicking shields or Thai pads, I believe the size and experience of the kicker and holder is important. Abusing a partner who isn’t comfortable with the level of contact is a dick move, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was sparring I'd agree but it's pads it's all about kicking your hardest that's the point of pad work. Yeah Thai pads suck and can hurt your arms. I've had heavyweight Muay Thai fighters kicking them with me holding and I'm a welterweight so yeah it sucks but it's not going to injure you just got to learn to take it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I firmly believe if something isn't sore after training, you need to train harder. Sometimes it sore muscles, sometimes it's bruising.

There are several people I train with(one of which is a 5 foot nothing girl) that can(and do) leave bruises on my ribs with round kicks THROUGH the thick as heck heavy duty kickshield.

It is what it is.
Yep. For sparring yeah you pull your shots a little but pads hell no. If you start hitting pads lightly then you spar not as heavy you're never getting used to throwing full power shots and if you're a fighter that's bad news. I've come away with bruises from training. Whatever they're bruises they'll heal who cares