Was Oyama fake?

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now Angola Prison Rodeo where they put a ribbon on a badarse bulls horn and whatever inmate can get the ribbon off wins money.......is just for fun......
Sounds like a good way to get killed lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rodeo guys. Those are some seriously tough people.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve caught myself watching rodeo on tv here. Something about asking myself why allegedly grown men love playing with barnyard animals and all.

There’s an event where they’re on a horse and chasing a calf. They dive onto the calf and wrestle it to the ground. There’s also one where they lasso the a calf, jump down and tie the calf’s feet up.

Some odd stuff goes on in the south. All sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. And Wrangler jeans.

Wrangler? I thought that W stood for wide.

Rodeos are a weird culture. There is so much image and status attached to everything. People who own cattle stations are like their own little kingdoms. They won't even talk to you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrangler? I thought that W stood for wide.

Rodeos are a weird culture. There is so much image and status attached to everything. People who own cattle stations are like their own little kingdoms. They won't even talk to you.
While I’m not hip to rodeo culture, I THINK there’s a bit of a divide between actual ranchers (or whatever they’re called) who compete and rodeo guys who do it solely as a sport and aren’t actual ranchers.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Osu guys! Hahaha I love the direction this thread has taken XD.

Am not 100% sure about Sosai Oyama. My background is primarily Kyokushin, and our Branch Chief trained directly under Oyama many many times and lived up there for a bit. At our annual Sosai Memorial training sessions, after training we would all sit down and Shihancho would tell us all stories about Oyama. According to him he did indeed fight bulls, kill a few too, chopped off the horns, and many other insane feats, like doing the 100 man kumite three days in a row (300 man kumite). He apparently wanted to keep going but they couldn't as they had no people left to spar him (most were injured). Considering the absolutely incredible/insane feat that the 100 man kumite is (of course the format may differ depending on the time/place), 300 man is just ridiculous, but apparently it was recorded that it was done.

I guess with any martial arts history/feats it's best to take them with a grain of salt. Our branch chief told these stories as though they were true, and I think to a large degree they are. Lots of things obviously do get hyped up, but he was an incredible martial artist and not many like him in a sense that I'm aware of.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. No way he broke the horns off with knife hand strikes.

Just from a physics standpoint...the horn is able to withstand way more pressure than what a human could generate.

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Osu guys! Hahaha I love the direction this thread has taken XD.

Am not 100% sure about Sosai Oyama. My background is primarily Kyokushin, and our Branch Chief trained directly under Oyama many many times and lived up there for a bit. At our annual Sosai Memorial training sessions, after training we would all sit down and Shihancho would tell us all stories about Oyama. According to him he did indeed fight bulls, kill a few too, chopped off the horns, and many other insane feats, like doing the 100 man kumite three days in a row (300 man kumite). He apparently wanted to keep going but they couldn't as they had no people left to spar him (most were injured). Considering the absolutely incredible/insane feat that the 100 man kumite is (of course the format may differ depending on the time/place), 300 man is just ridiculous, but apparently it was recorded that it was done.

I guess with any martial arts history/feats it's best to take them with a grain of salt. Our branch chief told these stories as though they were true, and I think to a large degree they are. Lots of things obviously do get hyped up, but he was an incredible martial artist and not many like him in a sense that I'm aware of.
Was he there when he fought bulls? Or how does he know for sure?
And feel free to tell us all the stories xD
This is interesting.

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Just from a physics standpoint...the horn is able to withstand way more pressure than what a human could generate.
How do you know? Like I'm not trying to defend Oyama but it would be nice if you'd give us some sort of I dunno, information xD
Like an article about bull horns or something like that lol, that states how much pressure one can take.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hehe yeah fair enough. Like I said, grain of salt :). That's what was said, but no idea if true (or possible). I remember him saying that alot of people have said many many times that nah it's impossible the stuff he did, but branch chief was convinced and said it is definitely all true. Who knows!
Was he there when he fought bulls? Or how does he know for sure?
And feel free to tell us all the stories xD
This is interesting.
Not sure, I don't think he was there, but it's possible. He'd been training for 40+ years so don't know. I do know that when people idolise others they can exaggerate details all in the name of defending their idol/high projected status. But I won't say that that is the case. He was definitely an incredible martial artist in a whole other league for sure, and did many things. Just hard to prove anything.

Can't remember many other stories sorry, just ones where after training they would all go out for dinner and have a few beers and laughs, and that Oyama was a really kindhearted man, full of integrity and a true martial artist. Judd Reid says the same thing about Oyama. But it's impossible to prove anything from the past, can only go by recounts and what people have said from actual experience.

If I remember any other stories I'll be sure to post!

Reactions: 666
OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure, I don't think he was there, but it's possible. He'd been training for 40+ years so don't know. I do know that when people idolise others they can exaggerate details all in the name of defending their idol/high projected status. But I won't say that that is the case. He was definitely an incredible martial artist in a whole other league for sure, and did many things. Just hard to prove anything.

Can't remember many other stories sorry, just ones where after training they would all go out for dinner and have a few beers and laughs, and that Oyama was a really kindhearted man, full of integrity and a true martial artist. Judd Reid says the same thing about Oyama. But it's impossible to prove anything from the past, can only go by recounts and what people have said from actual experience.

If I remember any other stories I'll be sure to post!
Like your perspectives, really "balanced"

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you know? Like I'm not trying to defend Oyama but it would be nice if you'd give us some sort of I dunno, information xD
Like an article about bull horns or something like that lol, that states how much pressure one can take.

Because I grew up on a farm raising cows.

They use their horns to hit and hook things.....a 1000-1500 pound bull hits with a lot more force than a human. Their horns are made to withstand that force.

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At 5:26 for like half a second you can see subtitles saying that he sliced the horn off after the kill and they edited it the other way around, so... can't say for sure what that means but it could mean that the "horn-strike" in the video didn't work and he chopped it off after the fight, which mean the audience saw Oyama chopping a bulls horn off. And if the bull was dead, probably on the ground, means that the angle the horn flew would make more sense. I don't know... just a theory xD
Well, DAMN the whole documentary with subtitles is blocked due to copyright fukk this bs.

Last edited:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's no question that a lot of stories can get rather embellished throughout the years, and the stories about Masutatsu Oyama's superhuman feats are no exception to this rule of thumb. I'm sure that any notable historical figure in the martial arts would have something similar going on as well.

Despite the embellishments, there's no question that Oyama was one hell of a tough customer, and probably the last person with whom you'd ever want to get into a fist fight.

Reactions: 666

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He certainly had the look.

Oyama.jpeg

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
togo7.jpg
2377D83357FDB2B119B90B

128.jpg
1295032374_sosai_131.jpg
2168ED395340376B1EE8F2
Mas-Togo2.jpg

Last edited:
OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay, in this interview Oyama claims to have fought MANY armed opponents, then his partner says (why not Oyama tho?) he parried the sword with his bare hands (grabbed the blade in mid air with both hands) and defeated the swordsman by side kick.
He also describes his fight with Tom Rice.
Don't know how accurate the the translation is tho.

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh, or is it just the end part? The sitting down and stories?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are you doing different in that training session?
Basically it's just more of a commemorative session to honour the founder of Kyokushin. Because there are many dojo within the branch, most of us all come together to train together under the one roof. A lot of people in the room! We even used have the traditional drum to start the session :D

We do a solid intense kihon session, ido geiko (moving basics, combinations), some kata, and end with spirited kumite. So overall nothing too different, but it's just a great chance for us all to get together to sweat it out and devote it to Sosai. Then at the end we all sit down and our Branch Chief shares stories about Sosai and his time with him. Different parts of Sosai's life, what he really emphasised in the dojo etc.

I love the sessions, and even though I'm not training properly within the branch anymore I'll probably still go to this years in April :)

OP

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basically it's just more of a commemorative session to honour the founder of Kyokushin. Because there are many dojo within the branch, most of us all come together to train together under the one roof. A lot of people in the room! We even used have the traditional drum to start the session :D

We do a solid intense kihon session, ido geiko (moving basics, combinations), some kata, and end with spirited kumite. So overall nothing too different, but it's just a great chance for us all to get together to sweat it out and devote it to Sosai. Then at the end we all sit down and our Branch Chief shares stories about Sosai and his time with him. Different parts of Sosai's life, what he really emphasised in the dojo etc.

I love the sessions, and even though I'm not training properly within the branch anymore I'll probably still go to this years in April :)
Sounds really good, hopefully you'll still use this site then, so you can maybe share some Oyama stories :D
That just really interests me :arghh:

Latest Discussions