Warrior Nutrition

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First, it was not the warrior diet book, it was "The Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual: Your Guide to Diet, Nutrition, Exercise and Excellence in the Martial Arts"

The books are years apart, roughly 8 years apart actually, and that was not for weight loss, that was for training and likely I was too beat up to be following it then, but it is still a good book for a person who is training (and training hard) martial arts

I am dealing with (different) injuries now I did not have then, as well as the arthritis that took root as a result, and I am older (over half a century now) and I think the fighters body is a good diet for a younger martial artist or one that is currently training harder than I can. As we age, as much as many do not want to admit it, our dietary needs change. Add to that the injury induced lack of exercise you gain weight and as I regain my ability to train I am still likely not going to reach that level again, and I'm ok with that I've injured myself enough. I am much more comfortable and healthier at this stage following Joel Furhman's books. However I still recommend the "Fighter's body" in this case considering your workout routines.

I rather like a diet that allows unlimited amounts of vegetables and does not count calories ;)

Besides, I am likely well on my way to becoming a vegetable eating peace loving yoga/taijiquan guy, no longer the xingyiquan/taijiquan guy I once was, so warrior diets and diets for fighters will likely be to violent for me very soon :D

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I have not drastically altered my diet, but have cleaned it up. When I was off the wagon, I would eat all kinds of crap like Grubbs (Burgers) and Maccy d's and such like. Now I eat yogurt for breakfast and a bit of fruit. The rest of the day just normal stuff like fish, rice and what not, but in moderation. Eat less bread now as well. I have lost a stone and a half without the fancy diet. Al though I am thinking about meal replacement shakes for breakfast and one for a later snack in the evening.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me I have not drastically altered my diet, but have cleaned it up. When I was off the wagon, I would eat all kinds of crap like Grubbs (Burgers) and Maccy d's and such like. Now I eat yogurt for breakfast and a bit of fruit. The rest of the day just normal stuff like fish, rice and what not, but in moderation. Eat less bread now as well. I have lost a stone and a half without the fancy diet. Al though I am thinking about meal replacement shakes for breakfast and one for a later snack in the evening.

I do the meal replacement shakes for breakfast because of how early I work. I get up at 5:45am to be in on time; I don't need to get up any early than that!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do the meal replacement shakes for breakfast because of how early I work. I get up at 5:45am to be in on time; I don't need to get up any early than that!

Lucky you :D I am walking out the door at that point! Do you buy the pre-mixed cans or make them yourself?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lucky you :D I am walking out the door at that point! Do you buy the pre-mixed cans or make them yourself?

Shakeology from Beachbody, mixed with various kinds of fruit and either milk or water.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am also looking into this guy here. He is a very angry anti-low carb guy, but some things he says make sense. Then again I don't like how he says Atkins is "low carb" when it isn't, and it certainly does NOT promote eating tons of protein in a day. There is still a calorie-watching component to it.

AnthonyColpo

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. If anything, my new diet mirrors some of the Atkins in a way. I do have too many carbs still I would think. I just like my Pasta, although I could switch to the whole grain stuff, or brown pasta if that is what it is. I need to change something else though, the Box-Fit is stagnating a little due to inconsistent sessions (different people each sesh) and the weight loss has slowed. I have been told that fat burning pills also do the trick alongside a diet, but I am dubious of that. How much do you roughly spend in dollars for the stuff?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. If anything, my new diet mirrors some of the Atkins in a way. I do have too many carbs still I would think. I just like my Pasta, although I could switch to the whole grain stuff, or brown pasta if that is what it is. I need to change something else though, the Box-Fit is stagnating a little due to inconsistent sessions (different people each sesh) and the weight loss has slowed. I have been told that fat burning pills also do the trick alongside a diet, but I am dubious of that. How much do you roughly spend in dollars for the stuff?

Cost for regular customers is $120 ($4 per Shake). Coaches pay only $90. When I think about the cost of groceries, I figure that I spend about that much per meal anyway.

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Modified version of Paleo for lack of a better way to explain. If you put aside all the miss information about what Paleo man did and their "science". It's basically about getting away from processed food (Which is not rocket science to work out but helps to have somewhere to start). And definitely appeals to gluten and dairy\wheat intolerant people, I've developed gluten and wheat issues over the last few years, so I use it as a baseline to adjust my diet and keep me off those tasty options.

Everyone will be different, and I have a few things in the do not eat category that I do have. But I think the diet is really not meant to be done hardcore and to the letter. But if you are eating 70% healthy each week, that's better than 10%. I think if you have a medical motivator, it's easier then just going at it and taking the concepts verbatim until you do damage.

This pretty much describes my diet as well, even down to the gluten/wheat allergies. Everyone that I know personally that has stuck to a 90% paleo-centric diet has lost a good amount of extra weight as well. I know my body operates very well this way and I have plenty of energy for intense workouts and MA practice.

Edit: thought i would add one of my favorite sources for not only paleo eating, but also overall health. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2zpp4hOw8

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost for regular customers is $120 ($4 per Shake). Coaches pay only $90. When I think about the cost of groceries, I figure that I spend about that much per meal anyway.

So around 71 quid (pounds). At least I can use that as a benchmark. Can't see myself saving much money though, I eat like Pig.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
So around 71 quid (pounds). At least I can use that as a benchmark. Can't see myself saving much money though, I eat like Pig.

Haha. Well, I am trying to shed quite a few pounds, so I am restricting calorie intake. No, I am not starving myself. I aim for 1800-2000 calories per day. With everything else I put in it, the shake gives me 250-400 calories. (Depends on what I put in.) Then I just have to figure out how many calories I need per meal/snack for the rest of the day.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Well, I am trying to shed quite a few pounds, so I am restricting calorie intake. No, I am not starving myself. I aim for 1800-2000 calories per day. With everything else I put in it, the shake gives me 250-400 calories. (Depends on what I put in.) Then I just have to figure out how many calories I need per meal/snack for the rest of the day.

That is one of the areas that I have to improve on. I am starting to take notice of food labels rather than guessing what is what. I have lost about a stone and a half in three months, but I am so heavy set with my skeletal system that I am still 15"-3 stones. Seriously I can have a full blown dinner, but be hungry again three hours later. Trying to adopt the "Less is more" approach, but it is draining me of energy somewhat. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is one of the areas that I have to improve on. I am starting to take notice of food labels rather than guessing what is what. I have lost about a stone and a half in three months, but I am so heavy set with my skeletal system that I am still 15"-3 stones. Seriously I can have a full blown dinner, but be hungry again three hours later. Trying to adopt the "Less is more" approach, but it is draining me of energy somewhat. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Me either! I started reading up on this guy named Anthony Culpo. He says the "smaller more frequent meals" approach is a myth. He is also critical of paleo and low carb. Honestly, I am critical of low carb too, but that is not what Atkins or books like Protein Power preach. Over time with Atkins you add more carbs back in. Protein Power has two different phases, depending on whether or not you are morbidly obese.

I'm interested in reading this Culpo's FAT LOSS BIBLE. Thing is, it is available only on Kindle or in print. I have a Nook, and the cheapest Kindle I can find is $65. And the paperback version is $20. Guess I will have to go with that one when I get paid next.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me either! I started reading up on this guy named Anthony Culpo. He says the "smaller more frequent meals" approach is a myth. He is also critical of paleo and low carb. Honestly, I am critical of low carb too, but that is not what Atkins or books like Protein Power preach. Over time with Atkins you add more carbs back in. Protein Power has two different phases, depending on whether or not you are morbidly obese.

I'm interested in reading this Culpo's FAT LOSS BIBLE. Thing is, it is available only on Kindle or in print. I have a Nook, and the cheapest Kindle I can find is $65. And the paperback version is $20. Guess I will have to go with that one when I get paid next.

Well if that photo is not photo shopped, pretty impressive. The e-version is only available on Amazon UK :/

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If you are cutting sugar fat and carbs. Then it will suck for a while.

I tend not to bother with labels. I just buy food that looks like food.

So instead of a shake I will have brown rice tuna and nuts.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are cutting sugar fat and carbs. Then it will suck for a while.

I tend not to bother with labels. I just buy food that looks like food.

So instead of a shake I will have brown rice tuna and nuts.

I am a bit of a pussy when it comes to food experimentation. I tend to stick to what I like, but of course that is hindering me now. I tried some Quorn burgers yesterday and thought they were horrible. Having trouble getting used to brown rice as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a bit of a pussy when it comes to food experimentation. I tend to stick to what I like, but of course that is hindering me now. I tried some Quorn burgers yesterday and thought they were horrible. Having trouble getting used to brown rice as well.

We are effectively junkies when it comes to food. We get cravings and addictions.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We are effectively junkies when it comes to food. We get cravings and addictions.

I've heard this a lot, and half agree. You give up cheese or milk, and replace it with a good habit, after 12 weeks you won't want cheese or milk because they will taste sour. It's surprising how quickly our tastes change and can be trained. Bit of willpower needed in the first few weeks but it's nothing like giving up nicotine.

Gnarlie

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to throw a mix of fresh fruits and veggies in the blender (I have a heavy duty blender) with some protein powder and turmeric. I sip on it throughout the day. It allows me to get the nutritional value of the veggies that I don't like to eat.

Latest Discussions