Warrior Nutrition

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of eating habits my fellow MTers follow. I plan on posting a semi-detailed account of my daily routine in a bit, but I wanted to get the topic rolling.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I eat a mostly Paleo diet. That means I cut out sugar and other simple carbohydrates. I don't eat pasta or bread. I limit rice. I don't eat regular potatoes, but will chow sweet potatoes, kumara, or Okinawan sweet potatoes. Fruits veggies, and meat make up the bulk of my diet. I eat nuts and seaweed as a snack. I cook with coconut oil and fresh herbs grown in my garden. I get everything as fresh and local as I can.

No processed foods...unless it's processed by myself. Whole ingredients enter my kitchen. Food leaves.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Makalakumu,

I have heard a lot about the Paleo diet, but have not looked into the nuts and bolts of it myself. A long time ago I tried Atkins, which isn't necessarily low- or no-carb. What you do is restrict your carbs, at first, and then as the week goes by you add more into your daily intake until you start to gain weight. Then you drop back by about 5 grams, and you have determined how many carbs you can take in daily before you start gaining. It worked...for a while.

Now I follow a plan where I go for 7 servings of protein, 14 servings of carbs, and 7 servings of fat.

There are a lot of supervisors walking around today at work. I think I will save a detailed daily breakdown for tomorrow LOL.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Makalakumu,

I have heard a lot about the Paleo diet, but have not looked into the nuts and bolts of it myself. A long time ago I tried Atkins, which isn't necessarily low- or no-carb. What you do is restrict your carbs, at first, and then as the week goes by you add more into your daily intake until you start to gain weight. Then you drop back by about 5 grams, and you have determined how many carbs you can take in daily before you start gaining. It worked...for a while.

Now I follow a plan where I go for 7 servings of protein, 14 servings of carbs, and 7 servings of fat.

There are a lot of supervisors walking around today at work. I think I will save a detailed daily breakdown for tomorrow LOL.
I follow a Japanese/vegan diet. Mostly vegetable
And fruits, tofu soy milk soy nut edamamae.
Seeds and nuts.sweet potatoes rice beans and legumes.
Make up the bulk of my diet.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not strict paleo. The fanatics can strip the cheese from my cold dead hands!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
All right...no supes nearby today! At any rate this is an average day for me...not EVERY day or else I would be bored and then lapse into bad eating, but you get the idea. In parentheses after each meal I put the amount of servings I need for the three groups. I'm not going to list out what food meets what amount; just take it as a given that each meal satisfies the requirements. :)

BREAKFAST (2 protein, 4 carb, 2 fat)
Shakeology with milk and fruit
2 slices of toast with peanut butter

AM SNACK(2 carb, 1 fat)
Orange
Banana
Peanut butter

LUNCH (2 protein, 3 carb, 2 fat)
Tuna sandwich
1/4th Avocado
Usually one fruit or one vegetable

PM SNACK (1 protein, 2 carbs)
Protein bar
2 servings of a fruit or vegetable

DINNER (2 protein, 3 carb, 2 fat)
My wife usually makes a dinner with meat and veggies that satisfies the protein/carb part. As for fat, I find one way or another to meet it...whether it is more avocado, some raw nuts, or something else. Also, I do my workouts at night, and after that I have something called Results and Recovery Formula.

That's a usual day for me.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I Just eat clean.

porriage for breakfast salads fruits nuts and fish.

Brown rice and tuna before training.

Cutting diets can go jump.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I posted about this weeks ago, but I just thought of it again today. Put in the order for the book!

Its a good book and I will likely order it again. I finished reading it on a trip to China and I left it on the plane at Narita Airport in Japan when we switched for the last leg to China and did not realize it until I got off the plane in Beijing

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mostly paleo here as well, with an emphasis on foods that have anti-inflammatory properties. I also take the whole food approach, but I do make an exception for hiking and backpacking. GU packs and other processed stuff that barely resembles food does have its place, but only in very specific circumstances.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modified version of Paleo for lack of a better way to explain. If you put aside all the miss information about what Paleo man did and their "science". It's basically about getting away from processed food (Which is not rocket science to work out but helps to have somewhere to start). And definitely appeals to gluten and dairy\wheat intolerant people, I've developed gluten and wheat issues over the last few years, so I use it as a baseline to adjust my diet and keep me off those tasty options.

Everyone will be different, and I have a few things in the do not eat category that I do have. But I think the diet is really not meant to be done hardcore and to the letter. But if you are eating 70% healthy each week, that's better than 10%. I think if you have a medical motivator, it's easier then just going at it and taking the concepts verbatim until you do damage.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
After several weeks of relatively poor eating habits, this is something that I'm trying to focus on again. I stopped eating beef and pork years ago, but recently started eating poultry again after about a year of pescatarianism. Lately I've begun focusing on removing processed food and added sugars from my diet and adding more fruit and veggies (which will be easier when the farmer's markets open in a couple weeks). I don't go the paleo route because I like bread and pasta (I stick with whole grain breads that have a short list of ingredients).

So far today I've had some greek yogurt with berries, tea, coffee, and tuna mixed with olive oil on multi-grain bread. Not sure what I'll do for dinner, I have a bunch of running around to do which means I'll probably have to eat out, which usually makes things difficult.

My diet is a work in progress right now, I'm interested to hear what kinds of habits people have formed to stick to their chosen diets. For me a challenge right now is just making sure I have something to bring to work for breakfast and lunch. On nights when I go to the mokwoon, I don't get home til almost 10 and have no time to make anything for the next day. Then I'm stuck running out to the Wawa or deli or some such.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is everyone has different advice, you know? I am experimenting to see what results in fat loss. I tried following the nutrition guide that came along with P90X 3 and GAINED weight. This is no joke: the other day when I got up for work, I had to try on no less than FOUR pairs of pants before I found one that fit. A lot of people criticize the Atkins diet, but so far that is the only one that made me lose. Then again I am too much of a fan of fruit to give that up, so I am seeking something that strikes a more even balance between protein and carb consumption.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The problem is everyone has different advice, you know? I am experimenting to see what results in fat loss. I tried following the nutrition guide that came along with P90X 3 and GAINED weight. This is no joke: the other day when I got up for work, I had to try on no less than FOUR pairs of pants before I found one that fit. A lot of people criticize the Atkins diet, but so far that is the only one that made me lose. Then again I am too much of a fan of fruit to give that up, so I am seeking something that strikes a more even balance between protein and carb consumption.

The diet that makes me lose weight comes from here and here and when I follow it I lose weight and feel great too

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The #1 rule for weight loss is, and will be forever is eat less. It will attribute to 80% of loss, and exercise will help.

If you are looking for healthy living that's when you make the lifestyle changes and balance your diet. If your doing things like P90X, your diet is more towards "gains" in muscle mass and weight. So maybe what your after is cutting?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The #1 rule for weight loss is, and will be forever is eat less. It will attribute to 80% of loss, and exercise will help.

If you are looking for healthy living that's when you make the lifestyle changes and balance your diet. If your doing things like P90X, your diet is more towards "gains" in muscle mass and weight. So maybe what your after is cutting?

P90X is not a gain program. Certainly you have the chance to gain SOME muscle, but not at Hulk-like levels.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's right, but if your saying you are currently unfit and have some extra kgs, you will spend some time burning fat, and changing muscle due to you current shape.

Another good option is something like Couch25K, is a gradual coaching for running. Good for stripping fat, building the core and cardio. Just an app you put on your phone and it will slowly over weeks bring you up to running 5k, and you can start it at any weight.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's right, but if your saying you are currently unfit and have some extra kgs, you will spend some time burning fat, and changing muscle due to you current shape.

Another good option is something like Couch25K, is a gradual coaching for running. Good for stripping fat, building the core and cardio. Just an app you put on your phone and it will slowly over weeks bring you up to running 5k, and you can start it at any weight.

Thanks for the recommendation. The thing is, in terms of exercise I am happy with what I do. My problem is still nutrition.