Wanting to join a dojo. I've done research but need some advice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think most people tend to end up with what they are looking for. However what some people are looking for is fantasy.

Yeah.....Sorta. There isn't just fantasy and reality with martial arts. There is a lot of grey.

I mean we get a lot of fantasy with people wanting to be MMA fighters.

Even a hard sparring session can separate who you think you are from who you really are.

OP
J

Jakobie

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for your tips! After a few introductory lessons I decided on the one I mentioned in my second post. The instructors are very friendly, no contracts, and the grand master has been teaching for quite some time. Multiple schools have been opened by his students (I'm hoping this is a good sign).

In addition, he is nice yet strict on certain aspects he feels are important (doesn't get angry or anything, but will make sure to correct you). Respect between members is big, and from the few meets I've been to I can't see anyone getting angry at each other.

In addition, they have schools in the area they consider part of their "family" and they do tournaments between them so I will get my competition-desire through that at a minimum. I think they also attend larger tournaments.

Thanks again!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very nice. Keep us in the loop and let everyone know how your training is progressing.