Wanted to leave with a Black belt?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just a short story here. When we were training at a Shotokan school, we had a young student (14 years old), a green belt,he and his family were moving away to the mainland.(from Hawaii).

He ask the Sensi "Can a get a Black belt before I go? " The Sensi look at the young man and said "$5.00. The whole class started laughing.

The young man was serious but did not realize what he was asking for? He was hoping to earn a Black belt from our Sensi.

Just a note here: It will take years to learn your art? Have patience and practice hard daily...the time will come? ..........Aloha

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
You mean, that after all that work, there is still MORE to learn and do?

Tough, isn't it? :wink:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a child ask that once as well, about a dozen years ago. I was a bit more of a jokester back then, and took my extra belt from my bag, and held it in one hand, while picking up one of the spare white belts from the box and a black marker in the other hand.

I gave him the white belt and black magic marker, and said "enjoy!"

He piped indignantly: "That's not a real black belt!"

I then told him "Neither would this (as I pointed to my extra belt) be, if I just gave it to you without you having demonstrated the requirements."

He didn't come back for a couple of weeks, and I felt badly for having done that. Still, he did end up coming back, and eventually did end up getting his black belt legitimately.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm frequently disappointed (used to be surprised) at how often people do quit training after they get their black belt. i mean, i'm all about being goal oriented but after so long you think they wouldn't miss the point so badly.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
I had a child ask that once as well, about a dozen years ago. I was a bit more of a jokester back then, and took my extra belt from my bag, and held it in one hand, while picking up one of the spare white belts from the box and a black marker in the other hand.

I gave him the white belt and black magic marker, and said "enjoy!"

He piped indignantly: "That's not a real black belt!"

I then told him "Neither would this (as I pointed to my extra belt) be, if I just gave it to you without you having demonstrated the requirements."

He didn't come back for a couple of weeks, and I felt badly for having done that. Still, he did end up coming back, and eventually did end up getting his black belt legitimately.

That's just classic....Nice.... :D

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
............I have a confession......I once brought a blackbelt from a sports shop to impress a girl......i dint even have a gi! i just hung it over my door!lol
hey man I was 16!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belts are nice... belts are dandy... belts are good for holding up your pants or making sure your dobak top stays closed. They are the colors they are so that students can readily identify who knows more than they do, so they know who they should go to for help, and who knows less than they do, so they know who they should be helping. The belt itself is meaningless; the knowledge and abilities that one gains in earning the belt are the meaningful portion.

As my sahbum is fond of saying: "belts don't come with batteries." A belt is a piece of cloth, easily and cheaply purchased - knowledge is hard to come by, and worth recognition. This concept (rather than the quest for rank for the sake of a belt color) should be taught to students so that they understand the value of the knowledge they are gaining, rather than the color of the belt they wear.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if belts shoud be dyed after each grading instead of being exchanged for a new one with the appropriate colour. A small symbolic thing perhaps, but perhaps it would change peoples` understanding of the belts. A black belt has soaked up a lot of dye to get it`s colour just as the person has soked up a lot of knowledge but he has grown, not ben replaced.

Then again perhaps this is to ritualistic. Just a tought :)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is done frequently in japan. my wife lived over there for four years and did that while studying shorinji kempo.

of course, at that studio the ranks went white, green, brown, black.

harder to do with a more modern system where you have to move from, say, green to blue.

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can see why you could want to get one from your dojo before you move away, but legitamitely. I would like to get one at my dojo here at school before I graduate in three years. Though it isnt the belt I want, I want to know that I know all the requirements. I've only just past my first test, so it's very unlikely that I'll get it before I graduate, but there's always grad school. It would be nice to get it here, with my friends and my sensei.

Another reason I want it before I leave is because I'm going to be traveling a lot, mostly to countries where there is nowhere to train. I'd also like to be able to teach there so I'd be able to have practice with and spread the art.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a good story that illustrates what the belt represents. I've had students be quite brazen & actually ask me to trade belts. Next time it happens, I'll take em up on it & they'll lead class. I'll help them plan class for the next session.

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Odin said:
............I have a confession......I once brought a blackbelt from a sports shop to impress a girl......i dint even have a gi! i just hung it over my door!lol
hey man I was 16!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH thats too funny!!!!!!

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Lorax said:
I can see why you could want to get one from your dojo before you move away, but legitamitely. I would like to get one at my dojo here at school before I graduate in three years. Though it isnt the belt I want, I want to know that I know all the requirements. I've only just past my first test, so it's very unlikely that I'll get it before I graduate, but there's always grad school. It would be nice to get it here, with my friends and my sensei.

Another reason I want it before I leave is because I'm going to be traveling a lot, mostly to countries where there is nowhere to train. I'd also like to be able to teach there so I'd be able to have practice with and spread the art.

Hello, The color is not as important as your knowledge. People will not listen to the color of the belt. It is your knowledge you present that is more important. No matter the color. In some schools you can earn a BB in two years,others alot longer,(us at least 5 years).

If you feel you have enough knowledge to teach? Ask you Sensi first? ...Good luck...you may find some new art, in the new places you go to? Don't be surprise....Aloha

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A belt you ware knowledge is what you know. But people want others to see what they think they know. And today to many schools give out black belts like halloween candy. That takes away the concept of black belt. Which in truth a 1st degree black belt only means you have learned the basics well enough and means you are a good brown belt. Belts should in my books be done away with give the student a certificate of rank or level. And hopefully the student has earned it. But that way outside veiws of school and such skill demonstates the difference you see not a belt around someones waist.